Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: Ok...I am stumped (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 1  

So the use of these nicknames casts the hobby in a bad light?

Gosh -- is there an echo in here?

No - those people cast the hobby in a bad light.  Use of nicknames is way down the list, after lack of hygiene, lack of social skills, unhealthy attitude towards women, and so on.

Imagine a "civilian" encountering one of these folks (not sure where - maybe the civilian gives people tours of basements) - do they walk away from the conversation thinking "His use of nicknames was really nerdy" or "What in the heck was that smell?"

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 2  

Use of nicknames is way down the list, after lack of hygiene, lack of social skills, unhealthy attitude towards women, and so on.

Hold on thar, buckaroo! Suddenly this is about the public perceptions of the "average" fan? The smelly fat guy in the faded Wolverine T-Shirt?

Nuh-uh. This is not and was not the point. I asked if you'd use the nicknames in the earshot of a civilian audience. Your reply was "Not a chance." Should we now assume this is because of your "lack of hygiene, lack of social skills, unhealthy attitude towards women, and so on" -- or is there some other reason?

You have said there is "not a chance" you would use the nicknames to civilians. Why not?

Brett Rankin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 3  

I said this, as well, and the reason is because it's rude, same as when a lawyer talks legalese to someone just to sound important. "Look how smart I am about this topic!"

They'd have no idea what I'm talking about. Not the best way to have a conversation.

Stanton L. Kushner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 4  

You have said there is "not a chance" you would use the nicknames to civilians. Why not?

Two reasons: one, I don't tend to talk about superheroes except to other superhero fans.  Outside of maybe casual discussion of whatever movie is out at the time, most of the "civilians" I know are mostly disinterested in the topic.

Two, I think most of those nicknames sound really dumb.  Other than "Spidey", I don't use any of them *anywhere*.  On the rare occasions when superheroes do come up in polite company, I don't refer to "Gally" any more than I'd refer to something being "faboo" - because it sounds stupid and it makes me sound stupid.

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
Now put yourself in a group of civilians. Their only exposure to Spider-Man, Batman or the X-Men is the movies. You find yourself engaged in conversation with them about these, your favorite characters. And because you're "comfortable and familiar" with these imaginary guys, you naturally call them by these "nicknames". "Bats" you say, when refering to Christian Bales' character in "Batman Begins". "Wolvie" is how you refer to Hugh Jackman's* character.

Go ahead. Tell me you'd do that in a room full of civilians.

For starters, I'm not sure what difference it makes whether this hypothetical room full of people is in the military or not.

But, to answer the question...it would likely depend upon the group, their existing knowledge of the subject matter, and the tone of the conversation.  (Not to mention, of course, which - if any - character nicknames I'm prone to use to any degree.)

But, that applies to references to real people, as well.  For example, my wife and I refer to one of our close friends as "Junior."  It's a nickname that began when we all worked together.  When speaking of him in a group that isn't as familiar with him, we refer to him by his name: Josh.  If it's a group that is more familar with him, he may be referred to as "Josh" or "Junior."  He's part of our monthly poker group.  When we began the game back in January, we almost exclusively referred to him as "Josh" during the games.  As the rest of the group became more familiar with him, we began to occasionally refer to him as "Junior" during the games.

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 6  

Nicknames fall into the same category as jargon when communicating with others.  Unless someone is familiar with the jargon it is considered impolite to use.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 7  

I said this, as well, and the reason is because it's rude, same as when a lawyer talks legalese to someone just to sound important. "Look how smart I am about this topic!"

They'd have no idea what I'm talking about. Not the best way to have a conversation.

Civilians are so stupid they would not know "Spidey" means "Spider-Man"? We are talking about a scenario in which the discussion would be about the movies or some other form with which they would be familiar without being comicbook fans.

God, you guys really are "elitist jackasses", aren't you?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 8  

I think most of those nicknames sound really dumb.  Other than "Spidey", I don't use any of them *anywhere*.  On the rare occasions when superheroes do come up in polite company, I don't refer to "Gally" any more than I'd refer to something being "faboo" - because it sounds stupid and it makes me sound stupid.

Say, cutie, did you forget you're supposed to be arguing against my point?

Stanton L. Kushner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 9  

Say, cutie, did you forget you're supposed to be arguing against my point?

"Cutie"?  C'mon man, I like you and all, but haven't we already established my lack of hygiene above?  :)

And I'm not really trying to argue against your point - at least not most of it.  I agree with you, and have from the beginning, that all these little nicknames are dumb.  I'm not prepared to take the extra step and attribute their use to some deep-seated hatred (or at least lack of respect) for superheroes; nor do I think that their use is really a significant factor in the public perception of comics.  I just think they're dumb.

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 10  

Civilians are so stupid they would not know "Spidey" means "Spider-Man"? We are talking about a scenario in which the discussion would be about the movies or some other form with which they would be familiar without being comicbook fans.

God, you guys really are "elitist jackasses", aren't you?

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen someone try so hard to miss a point. 

Brett Rankin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 11  

JB I think "Spidey" is probably a grand exception to the rule, being that he's arguably one of the most popular fictional characters in the world. I was tlaking about most all of the others - the exception does not make the rule, and I think you must know that.

Would anyone argue that a group full of people who aren't comic fans are going to know what the hell a "Mags" or "Wolvie" is? (And who said what the context of these conversations are? Who said we're talking about the movies?) Even if they did manage to figure it out, AGAIN, it's rude to trot out that kind of lingo in front of people who might not know what it is. (I'm not going to assume they do!)

And that's out of consideration to the people I'm speaking with, and has nothing to do with the characters.

Edited by Brett Rankin on 13 October 2006 at 9:44am

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2006 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 12  

The Kirkie, Spockie, Piccie stuff upthread reminded me of a story I heard years ago. George Takei was a guest at a comic convention.  When he was introduced, the master of ceremonies introduced Takei as, among other things, "Lt. Sulu on Star Trek."  Someone hurried from backstage to whisper a message into the MC's ear.  "Excuse me," the MC said, correcting himself.  "That's actually Captain Sulu."

Ain't nobody calling that man "Sully." 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version