Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: Ok...I am stumped (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 1  

Sorry, but you're wrong. The mainstream respects superheroes. They just do. I cite all the dollars the bigscreen movies do (and the successful ones are the ones that are played straight) as evidence. (The vast majority of spoofs fail miserably - name one recent one that didn't.)

All you're citing is "they don't because this is what I think", despite people presenting evidence to the contrary (see last paragraph), and people outright saying "I use nicknames and still love the characters".

The general public has a great respect for superheroes - if they didn't, would Superman be an icon for truth and justice worldwide? Sure, the genre gets poked at (especially the obsessive fans), but that's no different from anything else in the world - sports, politics, etc.

The comics industry may be dying, but it has nothing to do with a lack of respect for the superhero genre.

PEOPLE LIKE THEM - I don't understand why you're so intent on not seeing this. Spider-Man is arguably the most popular fictional character in the world! Are you saying the millions and millions and millions of people who see the movies and buy the toys, DVDs, etc, are actually internally detesting him the whole time???

Back to Top profile | search

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 2  

I did not equate disagreeing with antagonism, but surely, you must see that several of the posts in this thread have been hostile, and for no good reason.  I have no problem with people disagreeing.  But people have been downright hostile, and I am sick of it.  The law of the land here should be respect, and it should be given whether one agrees or disagrees with JB. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 3  

Bob Tucker: So, now it's antagonism to disagree.

Maybe I wasn't even talking about this thread in particular, but just the relative notion that it seems there is an increase in the number of people who come here just to be contrarian.  Futhermore, did I ever mention your name?

But wait!  Aren't you one of those people whose very first post to the forum was to complain about something?  Maybe I'm misremembering...

Back to Top profile | search | www

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 4  

You know, sometimes I wonder why JB bothers with this forum. He establishes some rules and some preferences. Some people get all up in arms (and no, I don't refer to people who curiously inquire about things). Threads spin out of control.

If it was me, I'd stick with writing and drawing and day, using the extra time to make money rather than tolerate some of the stuff that goes on in these forum.

That said, there is a LOT of great stuff in the forum that I hope counterbalances.

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 5  

I don't think I've ever heard a non comic reader use a nick name to refer to a comic book hero.  It's something that spins out from early Marvels.  Stan Lee was a pretty smart guy, and I'm sure he realised that using those more colourful monikers would draw the readers further into those stories. Also, it does allow for a nice simple way to indicate mood changes, I.E. "Spidey saves the day" and "Spider-Man: Menace?"

As someone who grew up on those stories, I don't consider the use of those nick-names to be derogatory.  Indeed, one could argue that the loss of those nick-names and the general playfulness that once was such a part of Marvel comics is a contributor to the dark quasi-adult Marvel of today.

So, for me, if it's good enough for Stan, and thus good enough for Spider-Man, it's good enough for me.  As I previously said, I don't use it here out of respect, not because I agree with JB's opinion.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 6  

if it's good enough for Stan, and thus good enough for Spider-Man, it's good enough for me...

Beyond tired of this self-defeating argument. Did Stan also give us "Thingie"? "Hulkie"? "Thorie"?

If you're going to invoke Stan, do so in the right context. He knew exactly when to use the nicknames and abbreviations. He had Spider-Man call himself "Spidey", but he never had Magneto call himself "Mags" or "Maggie". Members of the X-Men might do that -- being snarky. Same as Spider-Man would use nicknames in his patter, when addressing his foes. Think Doctor Octopus calls himself "Ockie" in his inner monologues?

As with all things, context, context, context. And the context about which I am complaining is the seeming compulsion of far too many fans to automatically shorten the character's names. Stan didn't do that. In many instances, he didn't even have the most patter-prone characters do that. The Thing might call Doctor Doom "Doomsy", but he'd never call Galactus "Gally".

Brett Rankin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 7  

Okay, I've never heard anyone use these names "Thingie, Thorie, Hulkie, Doomsy, or Gally". lol

I see your point, but I think you're stretching it quite a bit. It's not like the whole of fandom is running around calling the characters these things, even the ones that actually exist.

Could it be you're taking a small minority of people and painting the entirety of comic book nation with that brush?

Gally??? If you've actually heard or seen someone use such a thing, I'd love to hear the story. C'mon!

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 8  

My own take: children calling superhero characters by nicknames is kind of like them having imaginary friends (Stan Lee was writing for children too, BTW.) I think it can be healthy for children to imagine and define in their own minds what good friendships should be about.

For that reason when adults refer to fictional characters by emotionally familiar names it's rather retrograde.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stanton L. Kushner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 9  

Okay, I've never heard anyone use these names "Thingie, Thorie, Hulkie, Doomsy, or Gally". lol

Me neither.  Those are just hideous.  Is there anyone anywhere actually referring to characters that way?  Please post a link so I can go make fun of them.

Brett Rankin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 10  

But Joe, I thought we were supposed to love superhero comics for what they are, ie  children's characters. In that way, wouldn't hanging on to that mindset we had when reading them as kids be helpful? Otherwise we get all hung up on the minute details that gets the nuts all up in arms!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 11  

Okay, I've never heard anyone use these names
"Thingie, Thorie, Hulkie, Doomsy, or Gally". lol

+++

Me neither.  Those are just hideous.  Is there anyone
anywhere actually referring to characters that way? 
Please post a link so I can go make fun of them.

I remember when reading comprehension was a
required skill.

sigh

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2006 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 12  

JB wrote (in response to Bob Tucker):
"…hasn't offered a lick of proof that civilians think less of super-heroes because someone calls Superman "Supes".

As compared to the mountains of evidence presented by the 'other side'?

Unless you are visiting from a parallel universe in which superhero comics -- and, indeed, comics in general -- are held in some kind of high esteme, the 'proof' that civilians look upon comics and their readers with contempt is all around us."

I think you're being somewhat unfair to Bob, as he never challenged the fact that comics are generally held in low esteme. He just asked for some evidence that the use of nicknames actually affect that status either way (regardless of whether we like them or not).

JB also wrote:
"Civilian critics will still point to those comics that go against the basic form -- WATCHMEN, MAUS, SIN CITY -- as how comics should be, while everything else is crap. One can debate forever whether those examples represent a new high in comicbooks."

Excuse me, JB, but are you now claiming that the US superhero comic is the most basic form of the medium? From someone from outside the US, where superheroes are indeed a major contender but I think bested on shelves by humor strip magazines or albums of the European tradition, that just seem to be claiming too much.

Let's face, and much as I love the genre, superheroes will probably never hit the full mainstream because a whole bunch of people out there have problems with any kind of fiction that isn't realistic in the most boring meaning of that term.

JB also wrote:
"But one can also note that fans of the series don't talk about Manny, or Nightie, or Silkie, or Marvie.

I wonder why not?"

Well part of it could be that their creators didn't introduce a bunch of them to begin with.
And are these -ie ending nicknames really that common. I can't even remember having seen most of the ones, e.g. Thorie, that you refer to, and then I can't help but wonder exactly what it is we're debating... nicknames that are actually used or nicknames that could be used?

Brett Rankin wrote:
"The comics industry may be dying, but it has nothing to do with a lack of respect for the superhero genre."

Let's make that the American comics industry as well, please. The US is not the only country in world producing comics, although probably the biggest contender within the field of the superhero genre.

Aric Shapiro wrote:
"I did not equate disagreeing with antagonism, but surely, you must see that several of the posts in this thread have been hostile, and for no good reason. I have no problem with people disagreeing. But people have been downright hostile, and I am sick of it. The law of the land here should be respect, and it should be given whether one agrees or disagrees with JB."

I could definitely see why some posts could be read as hostile, whether intentional or not. I just hope that mine aren't coming across that way. After all, I for one am in here talking to you guys because I enjoy your company.

It is, however, of course a given that debates can get a bit heated, without necessarily becoming hostile, methinks. :)

JB again (in response to Robert Last):
"If you're going to invoke Stan, do so in the right context. He knew exactly when to use the nicknames and abbreviations. He had Spider-Man call himself 'Spidey', but he never had Magneto call himself 'Mags' or 'Maggie'. Members of the X-Men might do that -- being snarky. Same as Spider-Man would use nicknames in his patter, when addressing his foes. Think Doctor Octopus calls himself 'Ockie' in his inner monologues?"

JB, I thought you told me only yesterday that the either/or argument is never a hot tool in a discussion, yet you seem to apply it with candour here. As far as I could read from Robert's post, it suggested nothing about using non-Stan/Marvel rooted names of the kind that you then suggest that he supports.

I've said it before and say it again, I wouldn't hold all nicknames equal, but the ones Stan et al rooted into the brains of a lot of us are probably a bit hard to erase or see as disrespectful at this point in time.

Joe Zhang wrote:
"For that reason when adults refer to fictional characters by emotionally familiar names it's rather retrograde."

Maybe, but isn't a fact that most of us started reading comics as children and do have quite a few nostalgic connections with many of these characters having grown up with a lot of them by our side in precisely the type of relationship you say your own kids have. Like old childhood friends, which is also, I think, why some people react so strongly about it all – whether pro or con nicknames – when it comes to how the characters are treated in various ways.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version