Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: Ok...I am stumped (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 1  

Star Trek is an interesting example.  Would it be wrong to refer Dr. Leonard McCoy as "Bones"?  I'd say no, because it's how he was referred to by Captain Kirk.  I think the same applies to certain nicknames like Spidey, Cap, Shellhead, and Shulkie.  I think if the creators of the characters use them, and if characters in the book use them, as well (and in a non-derogatory way) then there's nothing wrong with fans using them.

Something like Maggie for Magneto is something entirely different.  I don't know if it's been used in the comics, but I would guess if it has it's been used in a mocking way, and if it hasn't then it's a made up nickname.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 2  

Trekkers or Trekkies?

I sure hope you're citing those to prove my point.
Otherwise. . .

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 3  

I have not really weighed in on this issue, despite starting this thread.  I have read with much interest everyone's opinions.  I'm not sure how to articulate this, but some names do not seem derrogatorry to me, whcile some do.  I am not sure why that is.  For instance, Cap never bothered me.  Shellhead always did. I don't thisnk there is a rationale basis for this. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 4  

Trekkers or Trekkies?

I sure hope you're citing those to prove my point.
Otherwise. . .

+++++++

Actually, I was.

Personally, I have no preference nor objection to either. Those and most other common nicknames mentioned on this thread (not too sure about ones like 'Blobbie', though) have their place. I've seldom found myself in discussion where I've 'had' to use many of them except for shorthand purposes.

On those even more rare occasions where I've seen someone become disgruntled over being called 'term A' as opposed to 'term B' (especially in the case of 'Trekkie/er'), it just looks.... sad. Almost as if reinforcing the negative stereotypes that may be associated with the 'offending' term. Whether you call yourself 'Trekkie' or 'Trekker', embrace yourself in the love of your hobby and fellow like-minded fans rather than obsess over which term you think makes you look like a bigger nerd to the masses. The debate over those terms between Trek fans is as productive as two car enthusiasts getting into yet another heated 'Ford vs Chevy' arguement. And about as fun to witness.

I've been called Michael, Mickie, Mike, MJ, Cass, Cassie, 'Hey you', etc. The only times I've taken any 'offense' to any of these or other more colorful variations has been those times (usually when I could 'hear' the tone of the person doing so) who have chosen to use them in a way that is clearly antagonistic, disparaging or assuming a false sense of familiarity.

In my formative years of reading comics, the nicknames seemed to run rampant in the letter columns. Bats, Supes, Spidey, Shellhead, Reddy, etc. At the time, it seemed as if the creators encouraged the readers to use these names as terms of endearment or familiarity. It was part of the interaction (as limited as it was) that existed in those days. It never occured to me to give every hero or villain such a nickname, nor did it seem (especially with the endorsement of creative talent) 'out of line' to use such shorthand.

That type of creator encouragement, the familiarity... to me, (at the time eight, nine years old, an entry level comics reader)... it made the experience inviting. Fun. There wasn't an apparent agenda to the nicknames. I wasn't a frequent user of those names, but I didn't see them as condescending.

Your mileage may vary. {shrug}

Charles Tyus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 5  

Well I hope this is still on topic on respect for the characters names.  When I was a young lad Captain Marvel was my favorite character.  I use to get so mad when people refered to him as Shazam!  I know its not a nickname but man that use to boil my blood. 

Edited by Charles Tyus on 11 October 2006 at 11:07am

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 6  

Could be worse.  You could call him the Big Red Cheese.

Patrick Drury
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think if I loathed super heroes I would avoid using terms like Supes, Bats, or Spidey.  It sounds comic-book-nerdy and suggest a familiarity that would seem unappealing to people who consider themselves above the material.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Supes." "Bats." Mmmm. You can just feel the respect.

Y'know, I've been reading these comic book things for half a century now, seen 'em up, seen 'em down, seen 'em way down --- yet I still get a thrill when I type "Superman", or "Batman", or "Spider-Man".

"Supes"? "Spidey"? Nope. No magic there at all.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think "Spidey" can be appropriate but only occasionally.  It's a matter of context.  For example, I wouldn't talk about the heart-wrenching moment when "Spidey" realized Gwen was dead.

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

Upon reflection, as much as the word Spidey annoys me, it seems more in character because Peter is something of a smart aleck.  I could actually see him calling himself Spidey.  There are no set of circumstances under whcih I could ever see Superman calling himslef Supes, not could I see anyone else calling him that.  same thing for Batman.

Jim Spencer
Byrne Robotics Member
Unimaginative Troll

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 11  

My co-workers don't understand. I told them of this discussion yesterday and all they did was laugh and say "Get a life". I asked them why and they returned with "GEEK!!". I then stated that I recall them loving the movie and they shot back with "Yea, but I'm not arguing on a message board everyday on whether its disrespectful to call Spider-man, 'Spidey'. Its a comic book, Jim!! GEEK!!"

Any ideas on what I should say back to them?

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

Any of them sports fans?

You can be obsessively geeky or focused on any hobby or pastime.

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version