Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 4:37am | IP Logged | 1  

Big bad wolf with Kirby Aztec armor.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 2  

Not to mention I'd expect the artist to write in shorthand to conserve space for other notes or artwork.

And to save time!

Which, as noted, is where most of these abbreviations began -- in the scripts of writers trying to save themselves a few keystrokes as they chase the next deadline.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 5:22am | IP Logged | 3  

I have to admit that seeing what Roger posted borders on crushing for me. I have no problem with "do as I say" as long as it's not "do as I say, not as I do".

Never changed your mind about anything? When I was starting out in the Biz, I had little problem with most of the cutsey-poo abbreviations. For one thing, they were somewhat rare in those days. Good writers only occasionally used them in the books themselves, and the more typical fan affectation was calling the characters by their real names. ("It was so cool the way Bruce took down the Joker this issue!")

The longer I stuck around, tho, the more I saw the likes of "Supes" and "Bats" and all the other increasingly ridiculous and demeaning "nicknames" becoming a problem. When I came online I saw it as an epidemic, and a sad reflection of the feigned ennui of too many so-called "fans".

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 4  

Okay -- show of hands here. How many of you guys staunchly defending your "right" to call the characters by childish abbreviations of their names get all upset when civilians dismiss comicbooks as childish?

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 5  

I don't see the two as related.  In fact, I've said in defense of comics, "hey, Spideys cool, read xx".  I think the real issue is a fundamental difference of opinion on what the nicknames mean to the person using them (affection vs derision).  I'm done debating this, bottom line, I'm not going to do it here, because that's your request, and it's your right to make that request.

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 6  

Okay -- show of hands here. How many of you guys staunchly defending your "right" to call the characters by childish abbreviations of their names get all upset when civilians dismiss comicbooks as childish?

Uhm I thought we weren't supposed to ask two part unrelated questions...

I will raise my hand to defending my right to call the characters by "childish" abbreviations. 

I won't raise my hand to being all upset when civilians dismiss comicbooks as childish.  There are just as many civilians out there who do not do that.  I think the anal retentive individuals who get all upset over what others think does more harm to the comic industry than anything else. 

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 7  

Jason Fulton wrote:
"Yep, because being a poster on a message board is exactly the same as being paid to work on the characters. You're a dumbass, Roger."

So if you're getting paid to have a relationship with a character you're allowed to be familiar and friendly, but if you've been paying for years you're somehow not worthy of it? Honestly.

And a question to everyone who obviously would never refer to these characters by nicknames out of "respect"... do you never refer to living breathing human beings by nycknames either? Whether we're talking athletes, famous people or family and friends? I am sorry if I seem hardheaded, which is not my intent, but I cannot see the distinct equation of "nickname = disrespect" that some in here seem to take. I'd be ok with noting that it equals familiarity and I could even understand if some might not think that familiarity appropriate in certain context – as a literary scholar I would never refer to an author by first name only in any academic piece I was working, no matter how close I felt to the author and his material, while I might do it in conversation among friends. But to equal that kind of familiarity with a lack of respect just seems so untrue.

Rafael Guerra wrote:
"The reason we're not 'allowed' to use those nicknames is because is because of respect, not for the characters, but for the wishes of someone like John Byrne who is nice enough to spend some of his time interacting here with his fans."

And that is the kind of respect that I for one am very much willing to show.

JB wrote:
"Okay -- show of hands here. How many of you guys staunchly defending your 'right' to call the characters by childish abbreviations of their names get all upset when civilians dismiss comicbooks as childish?"

Well, I don't find all of the nicknames that childish, I find them to be nicknames. Granted that some of them are inane and I don't think I would ever that I would ever use "Supes" or "Bats", while "Wolvie" is something I am positive I have used. Perhaps because of Marvel's own more nicknaming (in a respectful way) nature – having other characters call them that does pave the way.

I would definitely defend against comics as a medium being called childish as I for one do not even believe the full potential of the medium to be used yet. I've noticed that "comics" here on this forum sometimes seems to refer only to what is created within the American comic book industry and I don't believe the American industry is even the limit of what is out there, even less representative of what could be done within the artistic "limits" of the medium.

To conclude my argument, I think that there are some childish comics, and some that aren't. And then there are some comics, like superhero comics, that certain people have a difficulty with on account of not being able to accept the fantastic premises of the genre, much like people who degrade SF or fantasy.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 8  

I won't raise my hand to being all upset when civilians dismiss comicbooks as childish.  There are just as many civilians out there who do not do that. 

You have got to be kidding.  The overwhelming majority of 'civilians'* think that people of eighteen and above who read comics have something wrong with them.  And so many comic fans seem to do everything they can to confirm their assumptions it's not hard to see why. 

*At least in the UK - I have never lived in America and so can't comment on that.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 9  

And then there are some comics, like superhero comics, that certain people have a difficulty with on account of not being able to accept the fantastic premises of the genre, much like people who degrade SF or fantasy.

Do you see a lot of STAR TREK fans helping those folk along by refering to the characters as "Kirkie" or "Spocky"? (I can hear Trek fans' heads exploding all over the world, just because I typed those names.)

This thread is a very clear forest/trees representation. The fans who use the derogatory names don't see them as derogatory (or do, and use them to be "cool" -- whole 'nother thread), while those who don't use them know exactly what I'm talking about.

"Comics aren't just for kids, you know! There are mature subjects addressed all the time. Like in the latest X-MEN, when Chuck and Wolvie team up to fight Maggie and Blobbie..."

Oh, yeah! It's like Shakespeare!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 10  

I won't raise my hand to being all upset when
civilians dismiss comicbooks as childish.  There are
just as many civilians out there who do not do that. 

That must be why the media uses comicbooks as
shorthand for mental shortcomings.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 11  

Trekkers or Trekkies?

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2006 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 12  

Not to mention Darthie, Yodie, Chebacie  and Lukie(or is that Lucky)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version