Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: Ok...I am stumped (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

Yours fits you as well,  Joe.  You're a drama queen and a great melodramatic image of Peter Parker is the perfect match.

And I simply cannot respect a person who tosses around generalized accusations without naming names.  Exactly who are these people talking trash on another board, while praising Byrne to his face?  Or is this just another content-free bit of whining?  Step up to the plate, Joe, or watch the last dwindling embers of my respect for you fade away.
Back to Top profile | search

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'll miss our valuable intellectual discourse, Joe.

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

In the case of nicknames, I don't use them here because of our host  I do that out of resepct to him, not the characters, because I know it bugs him.

But, to say that when I use "Supes", I must really loath the character is idiotic. If I loathed the character, why would I even bother?  These are my heroes too.  I am at least polite enough respect someone else's feeling about them and what they believe or how they want to refer to them.  That is more than some people can say who want to be anal retentive to the point of believing it is their way or the highway. 

I will tell you right now, outside of the JBF, I have used terms such as Wolvie, Supes, Spidey, Shell Head, Stretch and many others.  I don't use those terms exclusively, but they have cropped up before and they will again.  I do it because I love the characters.  I feel connected to the characters.  If someone believes that I am a bad person because of that, and they don't thing I can ever bring anything of value to a conversation because of that, then I hope they will hit that ignore button right now.

Okay, now that those people are gone, I hope the rest of you have a wonderful and enjoyable day and really have fun with any and all comic reading you might do this week.

Brett Rankin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 4  

Chris, when I've met pro athletes, I've called them by their nicknames quite often. I met Michael Jordan, he said I could call him "MJ", and I did. Would I call him "Air Jordan"? No, because much like "Mr. October", it's more of a title than an actual nickname - nobody actually calls him that to his face. (I get your point though).

Since Spider-Man isn't real, I probably won't have the opportunity to ask permission, y'know? I'm sure he'd be okay with it, since his creator gave him the nickname, and the creator is never wrong, as JB always says.

On a third note, I can't believe this is a conversation I'm actually having. Doesn't this board look down on anal fanboy issues like this stuff?

Bob Tucker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

So, Stan Lee was this awful, awful person.  Not only did he create nicknames for everyone working in the Marvel Bullpen, but, horrors of horrors, he brought the same level of family and familiarity to his comic universe by doing the same with the characters he helped create.

Seriously, why is this even an issue? Sure, nicknames are often created to demean, but they're also created out of love.  Denny O'Neil has often said the biggest regret of his life was not working at Marvel at the right time to get an official Marvel nickname from Stan "The Man".  Masochist.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

"For logged in members there's a subforum called the WANderground. It was started as a place to post pictures of boobies and tell dirty jokes but there's a few threads that have become places to vent. Somebody gets banned "over here" they sometime go "over there" and posts "I CAN'T BELIEVE I GOT BANNED OVER THAT, CAN YOU BELIEVE HE (THEY) DIDN'T ARGREE WITH ME!!!???"     There's something of the exwife syndrome going on and it's funny as heck. As long as it keeps people from kicking cats I have no issue with it."

Wow. I decided to sign up to see what this was all about. I recognized a lot of names. Seems to definitely be the refuge of the banned over there. Not my way to rehash things over and over and gripe about the past. But if it makes them happy so be it.

Serge Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

Hey, this is fun:

Joe Rod says:

Final Word in 1 post:

Hypocrites.

Another post, same page (5):

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 12:33am | IP Logged post reply

I'm sorry to sound so angry. I found it by accident around when they first set it up. The difference between the "public face" they presented on this board and opposite attitudes they expressed privately was stunning. That's the final bit I'm going to say on this thread.  

But, would you believe...

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 3:02pm | IP Logged post reply

Your avatar fits you well, Jeff. Time to hit "ignore" again.

What was that word again Joe? 

Seems to me, you could ignore Jeff without the dramatic statement.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

...sigh...

I can see where this thread will be heading...

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

Heck, I thought it was already there, Bob!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

I keep thinking about what life was like before 1995 and the internet was introduced to millions by a bad Sandra Bullock movie. All this E-Drama didn't exist.

Serge, please stop baiting Joe. Getting pissed off, or trying to piss off someone on an internet message board is about the most useless thing to do in this world.

There are so many greater issues out there.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gene Arnold
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

(sitting back, munching popcorn)

And to think I was worried about being bored since there's no baseball games tonight!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

Exactly who are these people talking trash on another board, while praising Byrne to his face?  Or is this just another content-free bit of whining?  Step up to the plate, Joe, or watch the last dwindling embers of my respect for you fade away.

Hey Bob, I will step up to the plate and say that I might be considered one of those people Joe is talking about.  I don't think there is any reason to drag anyone else in. 

Now, I am a big fan of JB's work.  I have grown up loving it.  But, I often disagree with the man and find some of his thoughts or actions unbelievable.  Now, JB is NOT the JBF.  While there are times I may not care for the man, I like the people here and find it informative and interesting.  Its the folks that keep me coming back.  Still, at times I might be frustrated or agravated about some of the things he might say.  Rather than fighting about it here and being totally disrespectful, I know there are times that I talk about it at my second favorite message board.  Now, these boards are public.  JB or or you or anyone can see posts that I have made there if they want.  I own up to them.  I post there under my real name just as everyone there does.  So I don't see it as some weird backstabbing animosity.  I see it as venting about someone after I have left their house when they pissed me off. 

So there ya have it.  I am the reason.

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version