Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: Ok...I am stumped (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 1  

"I'm sorry to sound so angry."

Understood, Joe. I can see how something like that could bother a person.
Back to Top profile | search

Jim Spencer
Byrne Robotics Member
Unimaginative Troll

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

BTW, if Mr. Byrne says don't type Spider-man as 'Spiderman' then we shouldn't do it. You guys want him angry? I sure don't. We have us this incredible talent who posts every day and gives us early looks at his beautiful art, home and whatever else. We should be worshipping him, not getting him angry. After all, It is his board.

Dave Gabriel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2006 at 11:55pm | IP Logged | 3  

"We should be worshipping him"

Wow. Just....wow.

Serge Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 4  

It's more stuff you can take back to your secret board - the one separate from IMWAN. Where you guys praised JB here and made fun of him over there. I know because I was lurking there years back. Hypocrites. 

Sorry Joe, I don't have a top-secret handshake into that club.

I'm available here and at IMWAN. Have been at both for over 2 years on both.

And I use my real name or my old AOL handle (laddclan) on every board I post under, so I am consistent in my postings and have been since I've been online 10 years and couting. 

You can say the same, right Rod...uh...Joe.

So if you're not badmouthing IMWAN, please, say so in your posts.  Don't let IMWAN be inferred in your broad brushstrokes as an evil place that you lurked at and loathe.

And don't whine that people that were members there are members at IMWAN and possibly were or are still members here. 

The comics community is small.  There are only so many people, and so many places to go online-ing.

Jonathon Thezler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 5  

Wow. This thread has hit parody.

Rafael Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 6  

Dave Gabriel wrote:
Us IMWANkers take that as the highest compliment. :)

As it was meant. :)

Edited by Rafael Guerra on 09 October 2006 at 12:48am

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 2:00am | IP Logged | 7  

Stephen Robinson wrote:
"I do think the nicknames -- especially the cutsie ones -- indicate that the characters are less "real" to you. Yes, I know they aren't real. But I think it's more an issue of taking a step back and looking at how the 8-year-old you felt about those characters. In many ways, retaining that feeling is crucial to retaining part of the love for the genre."

I'm not sure I would agree on that parameter, Stephen. You could make a similar argument that the heroes have been made to feel MORE real and that people for that reason, for better or worse, feel that they have an actual close relationship with them. Let's remember that the long ongoing runs of a lot of these characters do contain elements of soap opera (something which I appreciated very much as a child) and that that familiarizes an audience with character more.
That said, I think there are better and worse nicknames, and definately places where they are inappropriate to use (e.g. here, since JB doesn't appreciate it – kind of like avoiding cursing in somebody else's home).

L&B,
JJ3  a.k.a  The Mad Swede

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brett Rankin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

I don't really get the concept of the nicknames being so horrible. I have nicknames for my best friend, my dad, my favorite athletes...all perfectly acceptable. Does this mean I secretly loathe and lack respect for those people?

Why are superheroes the only ones being disrespected if they have nicknames from fans - especially when some of those nicknames were given to them by their creator?

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

Brett, I would NEVER call Reggie Jackson "Mr. October" to his face. It would be "Mr. Jackson."
You wouldn't call your 9th grade Algebra teacher <insert witty nickname here> long after you graduated, would you? That's just rude.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 10  

If I was asking for an autograph (which I wouldn't), I might ask him to sign it "Mr. October, Reggie Jackson".  If he was a colleague, I might call him "Mr October", I don't know.  There is no level of familiarity between me and Reggie Jackson, so I wouldn't be anything but polite if introduced to him.

Your second point immediately presumes that "supes and bats" are disrespectful, so is invalid as an arguement.  Of course you wouldn't call your old algebra teacher "old wrinklepuss" to her face years later, because that IS disrespectful.

It's entirely 100% mindreading to assume that someone using supes and bats loathes or disrespects the characters.  I don't see how you can even argue otherwise.

The only thing that CANNOT be argued is that John doesn't want them used here. No matter my feelings on the nicknames, I don't use them here, except when discussions like this come up, as examples.  In the comic store, or some other forum?  Who are you to tell me that I'm not a real fan if I say "supes"?  (not "you", the collective "you")

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 11  

Your avatar fits you well, Jeff. Time to hit "ignore" again. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 12  

John Mietus said: Did he say it like that, like it was someone's last name? Like "spidermun shoes"?

He said it like a last name.

Edited by Derek Cavin on 09 October 2006 at 2:12pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version