Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Like Unto a Thing of Iron -- 09.14.06 (With added image) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 2:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Boy, what a wide gambit of opinions and perspective in this thread.  I might as well chime in.

While I don't think someone should maliciously attack one, or any of JB's works in his own forum I didn't get the impression that was the intent.  Maybe I'm just projecting my point of view on to the poster but I get the sense that he was just doing what many of us might do when seeing something that doesn't seem right.  Ask.

Having done my share of drawings over the years, I know that I've finished a drawing that I thought was correct and later either noticed or had it pointed out that something was amiss.  Usually from other artists just trying to help.  Knowing this, since JB, although godlike is still in fact only human maybe..."maybe" thought something was correct but possibly wasn't?  This is where I think the poster was coming from.  He liked the commission, he praised various aspects of it and just wanted to point out something that he felt was inaccurate.

He's not the only one who thought the Storm pose was awkward.  In my opinion though, asking JB to re-examine an aspect of the picture is much more polite than the proposed "draw it better" idea.  How rude would it be for someone to actually one up our host? 

Lastly, I think there are some very mixed messages from the regulars on this board for those of us who aren't as familiar with JB.  It isn't forbidden to critique but if you don't have something nice to say you shouldn't say it.  That's confusing. 

Overall, I think everyone here can't thank JB enough for the time and participation he puts in.  The stories, the annecdotes, the opinions and all the great artwork make this site the best creator related site that I'm aware of.  I'm floored by seeing the pencil scans of all the pages over the last few years and the commissions are a source of non stop fun and anticipation of the next one.

Most of all, getting to interact with JB is pretty much priceless.  This may be why some of us feel comfortable enough to "question" him of his work.  In my case, it's not to attack the man or his work, it's to understand the motivation or reasoning of someone we all look up to.

Thanks for everything JB.  I really do appreciate it.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Is it just me or do you intentionly make Nightcrawler
look demonic?

Blue skin, a face in constant shadow, a prehensile
tail with a barb on the end, "cloven" hands and feet
--- is he not supposed to look "demonic"?
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nightcrawler's my second-favorite X-Man after Cyclops; I prefer the way he was during the JB/Claremont days, when he had come through a tough childhood (and a near-burning by superstitious villagers) with a cheerful attitude that belied the pain he felt at being an outsider.

Scott Green
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

J.C. Alexander wrote:
"Personally, I think both versions would make a unique and inherently valuable collector's piece if someone wanted take both commissions and frame them side-by-side...*hint, hint*"

I will definitely be hanging these two pieces side-by-side, but probably not framed together. Once I saw John's pencils for the first version, I just had to have him finish it to go with my original request as the two go perfectly together!

John asked me if I wanted the "Fang" costume to be historically correct as this was a cover recreation. But, I simply do not like "Fang", not back then and certainly not now! My favorite is the Brown costume, which is why it was done for my first request. So, we went with the Yellow costume in this one as that is what Wolverine should have been wearing at that time. These two pieces together give the "then" and "now" look, as well as the "1-minute later" shot, which I really love a lot!

Thanks again John for these two Iron Fist commissions, and I cannot wait for the next Iron Fist one! Best...
- Scott
Back to Top profile | search | www

Al Flores
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yes; and heavier stock I pick up at Staples.

May i ask what it is Mr.Byrne that you get
at Staples.
Cause i really didnt know that they had such
boards.

As for Nightcrawler dont forget the smell of the
the "bamf" would give it another clue as to his
demonic look i think, tho we cant smell it, which
i think is a good thing, no smell-a-comics yet or
scracth-an-snif well maybe?

Edited by Al Flores on 17 September 2006 at 8:12am

stuart knight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thanks again John for these two Iron Fist commissions, and I cannot wait for the next Iron Fist one! Best...
- Scott

Thats number two and three Iron fist for you I believe, and again you have him fighting good guys. It makes for an interesting subject but will you go for villains next time?

I have to say I do not know the character, I have only read one comic reprint and he was with Power man. The villain in that one was Sabertooth, who is his usual foe/s?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

May i ask what it is Mr.Byrne that you getat Staples.Cause i really didnt know that they had suchboards.

They sell all kinds of oversized boards in their art supply section. Most of what they sell there is kiddie oriented, so you may not have felt a need to look closer, but in the racks with multi-colored boards are plastic-wrapped 3-packs of heavy bristol. This is what I use.

Scott Green
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Stuart Knight wrote ...
"Thats number two and three Iron fist for you I believe, and again you have him fighting good guys. It makes for an interesting subject but will you go for villains next time?

I have to say I do not know the character, I have only read one comic reprint and he was with Power man. The villain in that one was Sabertooth, who is his usual foe/s?"

I do not want to spoil the surprise for the group, but the next one I would like to see done will have Iron Fist against some bad guys. 8-)

John please correct me if I am wrong, but as far as regular villains, I did not believe Iron Fist had any. Iron Fist fought many different heroes (for mistaken reasons) and foes, but none were really recurring. Some may have shown in a couple of early issues, like Khumbala Bey and Steel Serpent, but they were not always there to haunt Iron Fist. Now, The H'ylthri were the "sworn enemies of K'un-Lun", but they also did not appear much. Hope that helps! Best...
- Scott

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah, Steel Serpent was probably the closest IF had
to a "main villain", and he was a subplot for the run of
IRON FIST, his story finally being resolved in
MARVEL TEAM-UP.

Al Flores
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thank you Mr.Byrne.
Will take a closer look next time i'm in the store.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A Steel Serpent/ Iron Fist commission would be boss!

Scott Green
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Brian Miller wrote...
"A Steel Serpent/ Iron Fist commission would be boss!"

All in good time, all in good time. Best...
- Scott

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version