Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Like Unto a Thing of Iron -- 09.14.06 (With added image) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB wrote:
...What exactly is supposed to be wrong with the
perspective in this one...?

You got me.

If anyone is going to criticize a well-renowned artist for perspective and anatomy, they should be darn well sure that they understand what it is they are talking about. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mary Ward
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hey, Didier! Mary Ward finally jumping into the thread...geez, I didn't notice this until now?

JB, your technique in drawing my beloved elf certainly has changed over the years. Kurt looks much more detailed in this piece...and, well, my love of nostalgia...ahem...it's good. I love the fact that though Wolvie is still the main character in  this picture, Nightcrawler still sneaks to the foreground.

And I can definitely see the differences with the touch-ups on the faces, the changes Dave did.

Edited by Mary Ward on 18 September 2006 at 8:23am
Back to Top profile | search

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm really starting to think (at least for me) color adds nothing to the story. I'd rather see the artist(s) work with black and white.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Once in a blue moon (er...) color will add to a story. I would not have wanted to see my JLA/Vampire arc printed in black and white, for instance, and a part of the payoff depended on a very important color cue.

Of course, since the color cue was ignored, and the significant scene colored incorrectly, being in color was no great service, either.

Years ago, Len Wein did a "mystery" in an issue of one of the Spider-Man books, which depended on a color cue on the pages of a calendar. The calendar was not supposed to make itself too obvious on the splash page, tho, but since the separators screwed up and 11 of the sheets had red tops and one had yellow, it fairly lept off the page.

In one series I worked on, I jotted a note to the colorist asking if a particular character could have a deep tan, but not look Black. When the book came out, he was purple.

Ah, well!

Marcus Kelligrew
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wow! Two commissions in one thread! Both are absolutley great!  Plus, I get a lesson in perspective that I can use in my own work! FREE! What board has it better than us?

Edited by Marcus Kelligrew on 16 September 2006 at 2:53pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have to say I've never seen anyone draw Colossus as well as John Byrne, I love Dave Cockrum's version too but JB's always seemed to really have the metallic feel to him.

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The answer, JB, is that there's nothing wrong and it's just another critic who's trying to make it seem like he knows something about something. While I certainly think things are open to criticism from regular folks, I do find it annoying when the person tries to make himself seem like an expert who has some type of special insight.

In the case of music, it's cool to say "I dig this album and I won't listen to this other one", but then to pick it apart like you've got some kind of deep knowledge about music when you don't have any training or experience in it is annoying. If all these great critics knew as much about their subject matter as they think they did, they wouldn't waste time criticizing, they'd be the new Led Zeppelins or John Byrnes of the world.

BTW, JB, I usually refrain from complimenting your commissions as I'd be echoing what everyone else said, but I have yet to see one that doesn't blow me away, especially the 20 by 30s.

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just saw the second finished version and "Wow."  It conveys a real feeling of power.

stuart knight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Two more commissions under the Marvel umbrella. I was interested to note that Marvel commissions outstrip those of DC by nearly 7:1. There were a few cross company pieces and a couple of non affiliated ones, but the vast majority are X-men and FF variants. Nothing wrong with that, both are great books and make for brilliant pieces.

I have one commission (Big Barda - DC), and the pull to request another is getting strong.I'd like one of the bigger six character commissions next time and it will be DC characters. I am half hoping someone will beat me to the punch so I don't have to keep saving and can enjoy the fruits of their (and JB's) labour. The statistics would indicate this is unlikely!

Edited by stuart knight on 16 September 2006 at 12:49pm

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I get a stong Gil Kane vibe on the Iron Fist in the second comission.

Both are awesome!

Lionel Faure
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Both versions are awesome!

I can't get enough of your Wolverine JB.

I have to say that Storm's body position in the first version posted is quite unusual, and thus my eyes are not used to get the perspective from such an innovative rendition. The grid lines helped me alot though. I guess that's not the first time nor will it be the last that JB is way ahead of what we are used to see artwise. 

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'll jump in here and hopefully the folks who know me personally can vouch for the facts that a) I'm not trolling and b) I do have at least a modicum of knowledge re the subject matter...

John, I don't find anything wrong with the perspective within the drawing itself but rather with the perspective of and angling on Ororo's body.  To my eye...and I'll concede my view may be influenced by any number of factors but all I have to go off of is what I see on my screen...her figure appears to be awkwardly rotated from her waist downward.  Her hips and legs appear "off" to me and I'm not getting the effect of the foreshortening on her extended arm and her legs as they recede in the distance.  Plus I'm seeing an uncomfortable tangent where Wolverine's raised claws overlap her arm.  I know that he's not touching/cutting her but my eye is still drawn to that spot as if contact is being made. 

Maybe that's what some of the critical posters are seeing that's causing them problems with the drawing...

I'm posting this solely as a response to the question of "What's wrong with the perspective in this one?" and also for those who may not be able to articulate specific illustrative points when they make comments that are less than flattering.  I tend to fall in the camp of "If you don't have anything nice to say then why shit on someone else's parade?" but those who know me know that I feel that way about the entire forum and not just in this instance.  Since there seems to be no sacred cows on the forum when it comes to issues/people that are significant to some members, perhaps that's why the posters who offered critical comments in this thread felt comfortable doing so. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version