Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Like Unto a Thing of Iron -- 09.14.06 (With added image) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
Yeah, it's a terrible thing to compliment John on good work.  How dare people express what they feel! 

Eh, human nature.  You want to add to the discussion - not parrot it, y'know?

That said, nice work JB!  Particularly the second one.  (Even with the inferior Wolverine costume... :-)  )

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Why say the same thing everyone else has said?

Well, I'd hardly mind at all..... ;-)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

…you gave Wolverine the yellow and black
costume…

As per the customer's request.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
When buying a commission, part of the fun is to see how the finished product turns out.

Agreed.  When I put in for mine (the JSA/Galactus one), I wanted Dr. Fate and Canary, but asked JB to pick the other three characters to have that much more JB in there.  (He picked Spectre, Flash and Hawkman, which I was more than happy with... until I realized we had 2/3 of the "JSA Big Three."  Fortunately, he was kind enough to let me add in Green Lantern late in the game.) 

About the only downside to owning a JB commission is that it's hard to stop at one!  I keep hoping that someone else will have ideas similar to mine but no one ever does...

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dave Phelps wrote:
Eh, human nature.  You want to add to the discussion - not parrot it, y'know?

I'd hardly call people expressing the same feeling "parroting", Dave.  That has a negative connotation to me, as if people are required to say the same thing and are only doing so because others have.  Anywho, it was just in the way Trevor said what he did, not that fact that he normally chooses not to post in commission threads.

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Coolnress! Don't know which version I prefer, actually!

Trevor Colligan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

At first, I was like, "c`mon guys, John gets enough praise!" But then I saw that John had said that whenever he gets down, there are all of his fans who still say, "even better than the last one!" So that made me see that John still takes compliments seriously.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

POW ! That's all I can say about the second piece !

Al Flores
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

wwwww
  | ~   ~ |
[| O | O |]
  | { O } |
OOO WOW, just amazing.
I have always liked how you draw
Iron Fist...and those X-Men dont
look to shabby either.

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The thing that struck me most about this commission (and the second version which I like even more) was how JB was able to get so many characters into a 11x17 sized piece.  I always assummed that only the 20x30 ones would be good for group shots.    
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 10:56pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Oh -- and there's a funny story that goes with the issue from which this scene is taken. It was done before Wolverine got his new "Fang" costume, and before I had seen anything more than a sketch of the Phoenix Effect. I asked for reference to be sent, but none was forthcoming. I waited and waited, until the deadline for the pencils seemed dangerously close to being missed. Finally, I called the office and said "Look, I have to start this issue! How about if I draw Wolvering "naked" and just leave space around Jean, and Dave can add the costume and the Effect?" This was agreed to, so that's what I did, and managed thus to get the pages into the office before the deadline.

Then several months went by, before the issue came out. In the meanwhile I was working on POWERMAN & IRON FIST and not giving a whole lot of thought to the last issue of IF. I didn't get bundles in those days, so I had to wait like everybody else for the issue to turn up in my LCS. It did, and this was the first time I saw the finished product. To my surprise, in the panel where Jean manifest the Phoenix Effect, Dave had not just put the Effect in around her, he'd redrawn the whole panel, so that's a Cockrum Phoenix and a Cockrum Scott Summers making their dramatic entrance. Wolverine was no longer in the buff, but I had indicated him wearing his usual headgear, which is what I had understood would be the case, and Dave had redrawn this as Logan's uncovered head.

This made me notice something else. I stood in the comic shop flipping thru the pages, and slowly realized Dave had redrawn almost every X-Men face in the book! So, when you look at that issue, in most panels in which they appear, it's not my Nightcrawler, not my Colossus, not my Storm, etc. Just from the neck up, but it seemed to me like Dave had made himself a whole lot of extra work. Especially since I had already been tapped to succeed him on UNCANNY, and the characters would end up having my faces anyway.

Next time I saw him, I said I didn't know whether he was overly conscientious, or a sucker for punishment!

------------

I've wondered about this from the first page.

Does anyone have some scans of this issue? I'd love to see those.

Edited by charles jones on 16 September 2006 at 7:45am

Charles Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2006 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Oh and I like the commision very much BTW.

Wish I could get me one.

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version