Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Has the internet ruined comics? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 1  

Seeking clarification is a good thing, isn't it?  I mean, I come here because this is where I can ask John Byrne a question and get his answer, not one made up by someone else with an ax to grind, not one mindread by someone who claims to know what he thinks, but John Byrne's answer. 

Walker is persistent, but has generally been polite, despite some rude comments from other posters, and some comments from JB that come across (to me at least) as less than fully polite. 

And, in the context of the discussion we're having, I can easily see "stolen the art" as referring to someone from sales taking the art to make xeroxes to do promotions with, rather than actual "report to the police" theft.

Back to Top profile | search

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 2  

Ian Evans: "The post was certainly open to such misinterpretation 'though, given that it came as the latest in a lengthy series of point/counter-point posts."

You're right on that account. Sorry if I was unclear.

Ian Evans: "Interesting is an interesting word, on the internet...all sorts of connotations..."

I guess to clarify my meaning, I would have to say that I meant it to convey frustration. Which I probably should have just stated up front, rather than allude unclearly.

Edited by L. Walker on 31 August 2006 at 11:52am

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

Furthermore, I have certainly seen the word "stolen" used to describe a scenario where the item in question was not literally stolen. Particularly by the victimized party. I assumed you did not mean it in this manner and even specified to that effect. But I don't know you, and I have already seen ample evidence that you are willing to play word games (infer, imply) rather than converse, or to use words incorrectly (peaked).

SER: I suppose you picked up this insult from the "friendly" reminder regarding use of language that PAD posted on his site. I think most people who read this forum would state that JB rarely calls someone out for grammar or word usage *unless* it's amusing (as in "that's not a word, but it should be!") or if someone who claims they're the ultimate Spider-Man fan spells his name "Spiderman."

And, of course, JB could be the worst speller in the world and it wouldn't change the reality of his comment that created this monster thread.

By all means, explain what exactly is wrong with asking the question: "I assume you mean it wasn't just taken for promotional purposes, but instead was literally stolen. If so, has the page ever resurfaced at a convention or online?"

The second sentence is a legitimate question. The first is absurd. What kind of conversation can we hope to have if words such as "stolen" no longer mean anything? Stolen is stolen -- even if it were intended for promotional use or as one's own personal wallpaper, if it was taken without permission, it was stolen.

Edited by Stephen Robinson on 31 August 2006 at 12:05pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

I have certainly seen the word "stolen" used to describe a scenario where the item in question was not literally stolen.

So, you got to the word "stolen" in my post, and read no further, seeking no internal "clarification"? Is that how you normally function when dealing with the English language?

+++

to use words incorrectly (peaked).

"Peaked" means to reach a maximum point. Try again.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

ive never used the ignore button.

untill now.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 6  

Stephen Robinson: "I suppose you picked up this insult from the "friendly" reminder regarding use of language that PAD posted on his site."

Yes. I did read that there. Though I did so quite awhile ago (relatively speaking) and avoided bringing up until now as it seemed to not be relevant to any statement I might make. However, in casual conversation, the misuse of words is not uncommon. I pointed to the aforementioned lapse to show this.

Stephen Robinson: "I think most people who read this forum would state that JB rarely calls someone out for grammar or word usage *unless* it's amusing (as in "that's not a word, but it should be!") or if someone who claims they're the ultimate Spider-Man fan spells his name "Spiderman."

I never claimed anything to the contrary.

Stephen Robinson: "If it was taken without permission, it was stolen."

If all that is required to define stolen is taking without permission (and according to dictionary.com, that is all that is required), then my question is valid. Because the definition does not address the return of the item in question. As Scott Rowland stated: "in the context of the discussion we're having, I can easily see "stolen the art" as referring to someone from sales taking the art to make xeroxes to do promotions with, rather than actual "report to the police" theft." My feelings are the same. I don't know Byrne and I do not know how casually he might throw the term about. So what was the harm in seeking clarification, and why would asking warrant a venomous response?

Scott Rowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

JB, if you don't want to discuss the topic further (definitely your perogative and no one would be surprised that you don't), why are you bothering to pick at non-substantive points instead of a) closing the thread or b) just responding that you won't be discussing it anymore?

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 8  

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 9  

John Byrne: "So, you got to the word "stolen" in my post, and read no further, seeking no internal "clarification"? Is that how you normally function when dealing with the English language?"

Let's look at what you said then: "Case in point, when I did a quick Phoenix flashback in SHE-HULK, and the page was stolen from Renee Witterstaetter's office before it was even sent to the printer."

All that is required is for the page to be missing when it needs to be shipped to the printer. Person X comes in, takes the artwork without any notice. The book needs to ship and the location is unknown. Perhaps the person who took it is unavailable (no cel phones or email after all). Perhaps the particular individual can't recall what they did with the artwork. Deadlines are demanding, and time does not always allow for things to sort themselves out. This is not a huge leap here. I assumed you did not use the term casually, but I allowed for the slight possibility. So what?

John Byrne: "'Peaked' means to reach a maximum point. Try again."

The common term would be "piqued" your interest". Not "peaked". No matter how you justify it, this is the standard usage. If you're going to argue that you'll juggle words in that manner, you're just lending weight to my position that you might have used "stolen" casually.

Dan Bowen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 10  

Here are the odds:

15 pages of pointless meandering: 5/2

16 pages of pointless meandering: 7/2

People who are so keen to seek 'truth and justice' devoting their time and energy to voluntary work for Amnesty International, rather than having a go at a comic book writer/artist: 1000/1

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

Congrats, Jason Fulton! Just got a nasty, anti-Byrne e-mail from "you". Looks like you're an internet celeb, now! Join the club! We'll throw a party!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Spalding
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

People who are so keen to seek 'truth and justice' devoting their time and energy to voluntary work for Amnesty International, rather than having a go at a comic book writer/artist: 1000/1

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------

Hey!  I'd go work for a non-profit organisation.  They just don't pay enough, c'mon, there should be cash bonus' for getting people released or off death row.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version