Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Has the internet ruined comics? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 1  

I was hoping no animals would be harmed in the making of this thread.
PETA's gonna come a'calling!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 2  

Howard Mackie: "Yes. It wasn't until years later, when the Marvel line of books swelled to it's largest ranks, and a number of incidents of missing artwork occured, that a form was developed to have a paper trail and accountability. Up until that point people from any departm,ent could come in to an editorial office, rifle through draws, and take artwork."

It sounds like madness. I can't imagine how anyone could function in that environment. Can anyone confirm if DC had a similar open door policy?

John Byrne: "I can underscore Howard's comment here by referencing artwork of mine that has been stolen from the editors' offices. Case in point, when I did a quick Phoenix flashback in SHE-HULK, and the page was stolen from Renee Witterstaetter's office before it was even sent to the printer."

I assume you mean it wasn't just taken for promotional purposes, but instead was literally stolen. If so, has the page ever resurfaced at a convention or online?

John Byrne: "don't imagine the offices as Fort Knox."

Frankly, it's hard not to. I mean, they should have been in this regard. When we're talking about something as irreplaceable as art. The danger of having something disappear (as given example with your She Hulk page) when you need it necessitates structure from the onset, rather than after the fact.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 3  

John Byrne: "I can underscore Howard's comment here by referencing artwork of mine that has been stolen from the editors' offices.

+++

I assume you mean it wasn't just taken for promotional purposes, but instead was literally stolen.

I begin to see why you are having so much trouble making sense of this thread.

Tell me, if someone told you they'd bought a red car, would you ask if they meant blue?

Scott Richards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 4  

I will admit that the "dead horse" picture was FUNNY! 

I have to agree.  I copied it already and know I will be using it in forums and e-mails, heh.

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 5  

John Byrne: "I begin to see why you are having so much trouble making sense of this thread."

Considering you have already shown a predilection to dismiss a possible misinterpretation with a snide comment (or image), I prefer to confirm intent or meaning before jumping off in any one direction. You would be the first person I have encountered to imply that seeking a clarification over assumption is a negative. In fact, the "red sweater' analogy you embrace encourages one NOT to make assumptions.

Furthermore, I have certainly seen the word "stolen" used to describe a scenario where the item in question was not literally stolen. Particularly by the victimized party. I assumed you did not mean it in this manner and even specified to that effect. But I don't know you, and I have already seen ample evidence that you are willing to play word games (infer, imply) rather than converse, or to use words incorrectly (peaked). So I ask. And your point?

John Byrne: "Tell me, if someone told you they'd bought a red car, would you ask if they meant blue?"

Yes. I'm colorblind. And?

Edited by L. Walker on 31 August 2006 at 11:10am

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 6  

LOL! This has GOT to be the MOST unfortunate use of braincells that I have seen lately. Gotta give the guy credit for persistence, though. Annoying, but persistent..
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 7  

Martin, if I misread your intent, I apologise. That's not how your post came off to me.

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 8  

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.: "LOL! This has GOT to be the MOST unfortunate use of braincells that I have seen lately. Gotta give the guy credit for persistence, though. Annoying, but persistent.."

By all means, explain what exactly is wrong with asking the question: "I assume you mean it wasn't just taken for promotional purposes, but instead was literally stolen. If so, has the page ever resurfaced at a convention or online?" And explain to me why it warrants an insult as a response. I find it amusing that many forumers here have taken me to task for supposedly joining this forum simply to "stir shit up", yet here where I initiate a line of questioning that is not confrontational in any way, I receive an insult as a response. So tell me, what exactly do you claim I am "persisting" in? Conversation? Failing to phrase my polite question about the whereabouts of some artwork in a manner you find agreeable? 

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 9  

I have been sitting patiently on the fence and watching this pan out but thisin reply to Howard Mackie:

L. Walker It sounds like madness. I can't imagine how anyone could function in that environment. Can anyone confirm if DC had a similar open door policy?

and this:

John Byrne: "don't imagine the offices as Fort Knox."

L.Walker:Frankly, it's hard not to. I mean, they should have been in this regard. When we're talking about something as irreplaceable as art. The danger of having something disappear (as given example with your She Hulk page) when you need it necessitates structure from the onset, rather than after the fact.

...shows that you are simply unwilling to concede the point - any point - whatever evidence is presented to you.  That you are doing what others accused you of, and what I thought you weren't - acting as provocateur. 

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 10  

Ian Evans: "...shows that you are simply unwilling to concede the point - any point - whatever evidence is presented to you.  That you are doing what others accused you of, and what I thought you weren't - acting as provocateur."

I'm not challenging the point. As I clearly say " they should have been in this regard". I accept in this dialog that they were not. However, I happen to find the history of this fascinating and am curious how the office could properly function like this. I am curious if this practice during this era was industry wide.

If you're seeing my response as anything other than conversational, you're mistaken. If I failed to make that clear in my post, I apologize.  But I ask you to reread my response under the context I have specified.

For that matter, do I really need to point out the multiple instances where I literally said: "I concede that point"?

When I ask controversial questions I am accused of trolling and told that I should be more conversational. When I ask conversational questions, I'm accused of trolling. Interesting system.

Edited by L. Walker on 31 August 2006 at 11:34am

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 11  

Interesting is an interesting word, on the internet...all sorts of connotations...

And I accept that I may have misread you.  The post was certainly open to such misinterpretation 'though, given that it came as the latest in a lengthy series of point/counter-point posts.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 12  

He didn't mean stolen, he meant the page was secretly borrowed forever without  anyone being told about it or ever seeing it back.

David, it's ok. I shouldn't have made that comment.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version