Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Has the internet ruined comics? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 1  

Excellent "skipping".
Back to Top profile | search

Frank Lauro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 2  

I find it pretty disturbing that anyone is accusing Landry Walker of being anything but reasonable and polite.  He has asked very specific questions -- some no fewer than four times -- and has received no answers.

Why is that, exactly?

Scott Richards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 3  

I definitely believe Peter over Denny.

There you have it. Denny O'Neil is a liar. Someone
who wasn't even present -- for any part of this -- says
so. So it must be true.

Pulled out of context, totally glossing over the rest of what I said, sure.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 4  

Pulled out of context, totally glossing over the rest of what I said, sure.

Excuse me.... context? Context?? You say that given the choice, you believe David over Denny. Those are your words. That is your point. What other "context" can be inferred from this???

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 5  

I agree with Frank Lauro.  Landry Walker has asked questions politely and respectfully, and I think he at least deserves an equally polite and respectful response.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 6  

I find it pretty disturbing that anyone is accusing Landry Walker of being anything but reasonable and polite.  He has asked very specific questions -- some no fewer than four times -- and has received no answers.

Why is that, exactly?

In a court of law the answer to that would be "Asked and answered". This thread is now loaded almost to capacity with answers to "specific questions". If the poster asking the "specific questions" declines to believe the many responses, and instead belabors the point -- perhaps believing repeated asking of the same questions will eventually elicit a different answer? -- then repeated answers become pointless.

Two "versions" of the same story. One is consistent. One isn't. That should be all the "answers" needed.

Clint Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 7  

I would have to agree.  L. Walker's question has been answered over and over, just not to his satisfaction.  I can not say as a debate coach that anyone has resorted to diversionary proofs.  They have answered the questions.

Jonathan Weiss
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 8  

All questions have been answered.

Let's get back to the internet ruined comics thing – the same can be said
about the internet ruining wrestling – whenever someone from the outside
gets to take a peek behind the curtain of something that was once purely for
those in the 'industry' another bit of universal "magic" sadly dies.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
John, in declaring that L. Walker is "losing ground," you remind me of an NFL team some years back (can't remember which one) that was losing a game by a terribly wide margin. In "garbage time" (for those of you who are not sports fans, that's a term for the final minutes of a game so lopsided that the losing team hasn't the faintest hope of winning at that point), a player from the losing team scored a touchdown and began dancing in the endzone. Then someone from the winning team poked the ball from his hands and pointed to the scoreboard.

Thread drift: This pretty much happened during Parent's Weekend when I was going to college at Washington State University.  WSU was down by 37 to Oregon, and Philip Bobo did an absurd victory dance in the endzone in the last two minutes.  Nobody knocked the ball out of his hands, but he was ignored by his teammates when he tried to get high-fives.  Bobo dropped out of school the next year before the end of his eligibility to enter the NFL draft.  He was not drafted.  Last I heard, he was working in a hardware store. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Howard Mackie
Byrne Robotics Security
Armed and Dangerous

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 10  

<<Mr. Byrne, I am curious: if Mr. David was not
authorized to be distributing photocopies of said Alpha
Flight artwork, how did he obtain them in the first
place? By definition, there would only be one set of
originals. Were those in the possession of the Alpha
Flight office? If so, did Mr. David surreptitiously
photocopy those originals at the risk of losing his job?
Pilfer them from someone else? Or was it common practice
in the Marvel offices for photocopies of pages to "float"
around -- even those that the editor wanted to keep under
wraps, as you said was the case with this particular
story?>>

Wow... I am entering this thread VERY late, but I do want
to make a few comments.
a) I hav e to admit that I have NEVER heard this bad
Byrne story before. A complete new one to me.
2) back before I was a washed up writer, I was a washed
up editor at Marvel... back before the internet... and
yes, stroies still leaked, art work did get copied and
distributed illegally(assistants, interns, anyone walking
by the copy room grabbed stuff). But we did really
attmept to keep stories FRESH. It was not about secrecy,
but about not overplaying the anticipation. Haven't you
ever watched a trailer for a movie, and at the end feel
like you didn't really need to see the movie? There is an
art to promotion... sometimes it works... sometimes not.

I also remember when the sales department started to ask
for more and more artwork to sell the stories. We used to
go strictly with covers, and suddenly more was needed. I
remember(even when I was an assitant working for Mark
Gruenwald) there being a constant struggle between
editorial and sales. Seems silly, but there was
competion. Editorial was trying to control the flow of
info that was presented to the sales department, and
sales wanted to make those calls themselves.   Bottom
line is, stuff got out. Sometimes it was for the good,
other times...

Edited by Howard Mackie on 30 August 2006 at 9:22am

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 11  

Answers have been given many times, bu they seem to not satisfy.

Well, I know why I am here and not over there.

Mister B. is not a liar.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 12  

It's interesting that we've had such a long thread over an incident which, at its core, neither JB or PAD disputes actually occurred:

JB originally posted this:

"Peter David handed out xeroxes of Guardian's death at a con about a month before the book shipped."

PAD responded that this was one of "several popular lies that (JB) likes to tell about me." OK, first off, that seems like loaded language -- "a lie" -- especially considering that -- no matter how lengthy the debate goes on -- he doesn't dispute what basically happened.

Now, I've had former employees, very much disgruntled, state that "that bastard Stephen fired me right before Christmas!" The only thing in that statement that's a "lie" is my legitimacy. Otherwise, yes, the person was fired. And yes, it occurred in December but I tend not to give quarter to employees who decide to not show up for work (early Christmas vacations are frowned upon).

But let's break this down further, OK?

JB: "Peter David handed out xeroxes of Guardian's death at a con"

PAD: "Number one, it wasn't at a convention; it was at a get-together for retailers."

SER: This has been argued already -- JB says it was a con, I believe, as he was doing signing. However, this doesn't dispute what happened. It merely debates locale.

PAD: "Number two, it wasn't Guardian's death. It was an unlettered two page dream sequence in which Heather was seeing a dessicated Guardian tearing out the ground."

SER: I wasn't there, so I can't state definitevely what was on those pages. However, this strikes me as "legalese." JB said "Guardian's death" -- and while we might read that as being "Guardian's death scene," that's not exactly what JB said. Also, my sense is that readers were aware by this point that a member of Alpha Flight was going to die. Even if this is a dream sequence, that strikes me as thin ice as far as a spoiler would go. Show pages from a love scene or anything but something that would imply that someone's died.

PAD: "Number three, it was part of a package of about two dozen photocopied highlights from assorted Marvel titles. Number four, the material in question was handed to me by Denny O'Neil, the book's editor when I--in my capacity as sales manager at the time--was going around collecting material to put into the package. And when I said to him, "Are you sure you want me to include this in the material?" Denny replied, "Sure, what's the harm?" "

SER: This, again, doesn't dispute what happened. It basically just attempts to justify the action. I've had former employees who grumpily stated to others that "Robinson fired me right before Christmas!" Yes, it was December and the employee deserved to be fired. However, that doesn't change the veracity of the statement "Robinson fired me before Christmas".

PAD: "Number five, retailers at the get together had no idea that the sequence actually indicated that Guardian really died. I know this because when John showed up at the get-together, he looked at the material, screamed at me at the top of his lungs, "How could you be showing this to retailers?!? It gives away the fact that Guardian dies!" and stormed out of the room, slowing only long enough to kick over a standing ashtray on his way out. At which point stunned retailers said, "Guardian DIES?," started looking at the xeroxes again, and were muttering, "I thought it was just a dream sequence..."

SER: While I suppose the point of this statement is to imply that JB -- in his fury -- spoiled something that was in no danger of being spoiled, it still doesn't change the fact that "xeroxes were handed out of Guardian's death."

Everything I've read since then has blamed Denny O'Neil this or basically accused him of *lying* without justification. Other statements have focused on how JB handled this -- that he should have "gotten over this" or that he shouldn't have lost his temper in the first place and so on. If people feel a need to debate that, fine, however, I don't see how it changes what JB originally said or how anything presented so far makes that statement "a lie."

I admit that it also concerns me that PAD implied that the original poster who asked JB about the Guardian incident was merely providing a "set-up line" (I guess for JB to zing PAD). I think that if you assume malicious intent, then it's disingenious to be upset when others assume malicious intent regarding your actions.

Just saying, is all.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version