Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Has the internet ruined comics? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 1  

John, in declaring that L. Walker is "losing ground," you remind me of an NFL team some years back (can't remember which one) that was losing a game by a terribly wide margin. In "garbage time" (for those of you who are not sports fans, that's a term for the final minutes of a game so lopsided that the losing team hasn't the faintest hope of winning at that point), a player from the losing team scored a touchdown and began dancing in the endzone. Then someone from the winning team poked the ball from his hands and pointed to the scoreboard.

For me to believe your version of events requires me to accept implausibility upon implausibility: that Peter was able to find the artwork in question, photocopy it, and put it back unnoticed; that the Alpha Flight office wouldn't have taken better care of the materials given that they were trying their damndest to keep this particular dramatic reveal from leaking; that Peter would risk his job simply to look "cool" in front of fans; and that he could commit such an egregious act and still retain his job when I have read articles about people being fired from Marvel for less.

Nevertheless, let's say for the sake of argument that your version is all true, and that it was common practice for people in sales and marketing to grab pages and distribute them without the consent of editorial. As L. Walker already pointed out, that would mean there was a systemic problem. In that case, it makes no sense to single out Peter, and Peter alone, for your ire.

So, unfortunately, you have backed yourself into a logical corner. If your version of events true (and again, your version strains credulity to the very limits and perhaps even beyond), it was, by your admission, a "common practice" and it is therefore unfair to single out Peter David. 

At least one poster in this thread has accused people like L. Walker and I of "shit-stirring." The shit, however, was stirred not by us but by John, when he once again recounted the tale in a forum that is available to the public. This may be a privately owned forum, but its content can be read by anyone with access to the Internet. Complaining about people responding to something said in this forum is a bit like going up to a podium in front of a crowd, saying something inflammatory, and then telling them, "I wasn't talking to you."

Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 2  

I want to ask everyone here who has been at a convention in the past, oh, 25 years:  When was the last time you actually received, for free, a Xerox copy of a yet-to-be-released comic, or even a few pages, from either DC or Marvel?

For me, the answer would be:  NEVER.

Yes, they have Xerox copies to read at their booths, and it's entirely up to you as to whether you want to spoil an upcoming issue, but they're NOT free to the public like a button or poster.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 3  

I definitely believe Peter over Denny.

There you have it. Denny O'Neil is a liar. Someone
who wasn't even present -- for any part of this -- says
so. So it must be true.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 4  

I want to ask everyone here who has been at a convention in the past, oh, 25 years:  When was the last time you actually received, for free, a Xerox copy of a yet-to-be-released comic, or even a few pages, from either DC or Marvel?

For me, the answer would be:  NEVER.

I guess you must have missed this con, then. Or missed the fact that the pages being handed out is not in dispute.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 5  

I guess you must have missed this con, then. Or missed the fact that the pages being handed out is not in dispute.

If it was not a Chicago Convention, I did indeed miss it.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 6  

The worst part of this is that, because of this, two of the best creators in the biz can't work together.

Imagine for a second that this didn't happen; then JB & Peter David could have found some characters and stories on wich they could have common interest and could have produced a classic. Maybe even that the book would have been better because they are so different as creators.

What a waste!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 7  

...because of this, two of the best creators in the biz can't work together...

Not simply because of this.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 8  

For me to believe your version of events requires me to accept implausibility upon implausibility: that Peter was able to find the artwork in question, photocopy it, and put it back unnoticed; that the Alpha Flight office wouldn't have taken better care of the materials given that they were trying their damndest to keep this particular dramatic reveal from leaking; that Peter would risk his job simply to look "cool" in front of fans; and that he could commit such an egregious act and still retain his job when I have read articles about people being fired from Marvel for less.

For you to believe my "version" requires you to accept that Denny O'Neil is not a liar. No other point is under valid dispute.

+++

At least one poster in this thread has accused people like L. Walker and I of "shit-stirring." The shit, however, was stirred not by us but by John, when he once again recounted the tale in a forum that is available to the public.

My "shit-stirring" was stating that David handed out xeroxes of the death of Guardian a month before the book shipped. This is a fact. Even David does not dispute it. So you're here. . . why?

Kurt Evans
Byrne Robotics Member
Auto-Contrarian

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 9  

Okay, I'll try it again.

I'm distressed to notice that there apparently should be a rule in the forum guidelines about how people aren't allowed to come here from the blogs of People JB Doesn't Like and participate in a discussion or debate or whatever about How Said People Treated JB.

We all know what a troll is; we've seen them.  L Walker is not one of them, and I do not understand why people are sniping at him.

I also don't understand why people are so defensive and unwilling to allow his questions to be answered.  JB, you feel that you are absolutely right in this situation, and you may be.  I realize that my opinion is meaningless - which is why I often try not to have one - but I'd hope that you'd answer his questions (which seem fair) just to provide L Walker an opportunity to leave, since he's apparently annoying people with his presence.  Or perhaps just get it over with and ban him, I dunno.

That's all I have to say on the matter, and now I'm going to do the adult thing and skip this thread from here on out (unless I come back here in five minutes to edit my post, or something).  I'm sure my life will be made easier in the process.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 10  

That's all I have to say on the matter, and now I'm
going to do the adult thing and skip this thread from
here on out (unless I come back here in five minutes
to edit my post, or something).  I'm sure my life will
be made easier in the process.

Your post was deleted because it contained errors in
fact and suppositions based on those errors. Still
does. This time I won't bother to spare you the
embarassment. Be sure to keep coming back to
this thread you're "skipping", tho.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 11  

Just to sum up for late-comers: I am a liar, Denny O'Neil is a liar, but Peter David, whose story is different every time he tells it, is a bastion of truth.

Carry on.

Kurt Evans
Byrne Robotics Member
Auto-Contrarian

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 12  

Hey, fair enough.  I actually came back to edit it, saw it was gone, so I wrote a less inflamatory version.  Now that I know you aren't going to delete it, I'm outta here.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version