Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Has the internet ruined comics? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

Landry: Actually, the pages in question could have easily been a bluff. It would hardly have been the first time comics resorted to misdirection in an attempt to keep the readers guessing.

Name one other instance that would match this scenario.

Landry: The copied pages in question showed a nightmare sequence. Nothing definitive. They did not contain the actual death scene and they did not contain any text. It was left to the recipient of the advance pages to infer whether or not the dream sequence was a representation of reality. Without confirmation, any conclusion the reader makes remains assumption. Nothing is definitive until the actual issue is read.

None of what you just wrote is according to JB's story. If you don't believe JB why are you asking him for more "clarification?"

Landry: Furthermore, I read those issues when they were new. I never heard of this and the marketing was not ruined for me. This was not something distributed universally and the majority of casual comic readers are unlikely to have actually seen the artwork in question. Leaving the supposed spoiler to travel through the standard word of mouth channels, which makes the spoiler even less definitive.

It didn't bother you so it shouldn't bother JB either.  You don't believe JB got any of the mail he says he got, then?  Why are you here?

Landry: "Mark Haslett: "Stop dancing around trying to act like you have light to shed on these events--"

That's funny. I've done nothing of the sort. I've been asking for clarification on the details of this event for multiple posts now. The one who can shed light on the issue of culpability is Byrne.

He did.  That's when you started dancing.  "Oh, but why do you assume it was negative intent?"  "I don't, you infer that I do.  I don't read minds.  I simply know what happened." 

Landry: He implied that Peter David did not pursue this as a malicious act. So I would like to know who was responsible at the time for the dissemination of marketing material? The editorial staff, who are charged with guiding the title, or marketing, who are typically using the materials presented to them to promote?

You've heard JB's version and PAD's version.  Now you REALLY want to get to the bottom of it.  You're a knight in armor.  If you don't believe what these two have said so far, who will you believe?
Back to Top profile | search

Orlando Teuta Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

Scott Rowland wrote:

>>>Also to review PAD's statement in context, He says he didn't spoil the story, JB did.  PAD may not be telling the truth*, but the story I've read on his website does seem to be internally consistent.  JB's story also seems to be internally consistent.<<<<

Good point.  One thing to keep in mind, is that PAD's initial reaction was that it was questionable to give out these pages. He even says he double checked with his boss to see if he should give those out.  Both JB and PAD seem to agree it was questionable to give out those pages.

"Peter David handed out xeroxes of Guardian's death at a con about a month before the book shipped." JB 

On his blog, PAD wrote regarding this comment:

"Nnnnnno. A popular lie of John's, but no."

What, in JB's response could be taken as a lie?

PAD gave out xeoroxes.

They showed a dead guardian.

They were given out about a month before the title shipped.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

Well, not to carry the argument forever. I'm just saying that this is my opinion. You don't have to agree. :]

I've been reading solicits for years before the net and I've been avoiding them too when it pleased me. I really don't feel it ever changed anything regarding comics for me. I know sometimes, there's big surprises you should keep secret. But, overall, if my 22 pages of story got ruined by a 2 line solicitation or cover, I think the comic was running on thin content to begin with.

Furthermore, I grew up on french reprints, so I always had a generic idea of where my books were going years in advance. I  also got to read many disparate issues from relatives collections, etc and I was just as eager to read them all out of proper order.

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 4  

Mark Haslett: "Name one other instance that would match this scenario."

This scenario perfectly? Nothing off the top of my head. I fail to see how an existing precedent dictates marketing an element of surprise. In fact, the smart thing to do is misdirect in new ways, to keep the readers guessing. Death in comics is something readers accept only nominally. Though admittedly, this was less the case at the time. However, it's rather moot considering I already conceded that I was unaware there was dispute over the actual art that was distributed. I was under the assumption that it was a dream sequence.

Mark Haslett: "None of what you just wrote is according to JB's story. If you don't believe JB why are you asking him for more 'clarification?' "

I seem to have already conceded that I was unaware there was a dispute over which pages were shown. And how does an incomplete understanding of a situation now translate into disbelief? I would think that this is the very moment when one would seek clarification. So please, don't attribute attitudes to me that do not represent what I have actually been saying.

Mark Haslett: "It didn't bother you so it shouldn't bother JB either.  You don't believe JB got any of the mail he says he got, then?"

I'm not disputing John Byrne here. I'm addressing your charge that the marketing was "ruined". Clearly it wasn't as the spoiler did not reach a universal audience. The marketing was derailed, yes. But this is hardly synonymous with "ruined" in my eye. The marketing remained as intended for anyone who was not exposed to the spoilers.

Mark Haslett: "Why are you here?"

To participate in a discussion. That's a big draw of the whole "message board" thing. Why are you here?

Mark Haslett: "He did.  That's when you started dancing."

Hardly. Clarification on who was in charge of the distribution of marketing content is clearly relevant, and John Byrne happens to be in the position to answer. If he has done so beyond his suggestion that it was 100% open door, I have missed it. So yeah, I'm here for clarification on this event. Can you provide it?

Mark Haslett: "You've heard JB's version and PAD's version.  Now you REALLY want to get to the bottom of it.  You're a knight in armor.  If you don't believe what these two have said so far, who will you believe?"

Who said I don't believe them? By all means, point to me calling either of them a liar. I concede that Byrne has a right to be angry. I question the direction his anger is focused in. Now, I was not part of Marvel in the early eighties and I assume you were not either. As Byrne was, I'm curious for his answers on these simple questions. He has not delved into much depth in the statments I have read. I do believe somebody screwed up by releasing the material in question. But as it has been explained, I don't think it was Peter David. I do not believe the release was detrimental enough to warrant the vitriol it has. My current opinions are based on the limited information on the topic. I'm not looking to start a fight here and I'm not looking to accuse. I'm looking for clarification on an issue two creators made public. You don't like my questions to Byrne, you don't have to respond to them. 

Dave Carr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

I am genuinely sorry that I half-remembered this incident.

Robert Oren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 6  

Scott wrote:

Robert, that's not fair.  LWalker's been polite and reasonable, and not at all trollish.

IF i offended anyone Scott then i am truly  sorry. But you have to admit this place at times is crawling with trolls and it gets old after awhile. Someone comes in and just starts blasting J.B. with i heard this and that and you are just a jerk and blah,blah blah,blah it takes away from the greatness of this board.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

LWalker is passive-aggressive. Not polite at all. 

Robert Oren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

And if Joe said it....trust me it's true. i consider him and a handful other people on this board as "class acts" always insightful and interesting. a true joy to read his post!!!

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

Robert Oren: "IF i offended anyone Scott then i am truly  sorry. But you have to admit this place at times is crawling with trolls and it gets old after awhile. Someone comes in and just starts blasting J.B. with i heard this and that and you are just a jerk and blah,blah blah,blah it takes away from the greatness of this board."

I'm not particularly offended. But I don't really see where I gave the appearance of trolling or any other aspects of your description. That said, no harm no foul. I hope you understand that I actually am just here to discuss.

Joe Zhang: "LWalker is passive-aggressive. Not polite at all."

Believe what you like. If you do not think my questions have validity, challenge them. The most passive aggressive thing you could probably do is simply dismiss someone as you just did, after all..

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

I didn't question the validity of your questions. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

" i consider him and a handful other people on this board as "class acts" "

I'm not sure i deserve that , Robert !

Gene Arnold
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 12  

I just love melodrama.  Someone pass the popcorn.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version