Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: Has the internet ruined comics? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 1  

Greg Kirkman:

Thanks for the clarification. I like the analogy, though it's not really an appropriate analogy in this instance. I am a regular forumer at David's site, and was responding to what appeared to be a generalized dismissal of forumers at David's site, rather than something referring to specific individuals. The burden of clear communication is typically on the one communicating, after all. Regardless, that seems to be nicely cleared up. If it was the impostors you were referring to specifically, and I misunderstood, you have my apologies.
Back to Top profile | search

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

John Byrne: "Ask a question that's a little less Golly-Gee-I-Don't-Understand, and I'll think about answering. Otherwise...."

No... This is not as you have dismissed it. If you (the injured party) cannot actually present a reasonable explanation for motivation, why should anyone assume that negative motivation exists? You say yourself that this was a standard practice. I want to know why you take this instance of a standard practice personally. You say this was an attempt of David's to ingratiate himself with the fans. What fans? He had no fans at the time. As you state it, your position simply does not make sense. I'm asking you to substantiate your claims. Why you dodge the opportunity to clarify this is beyond me. You obviously feel very strongly that this was some form of personal attack. WHY?

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

"Yes, officer, i saw him shoot a man"

"Well, i'm sorry, unless you can tell us WHY he did this inexplicable action for which you can't possibly know his motivation for, beyond speculating, we will have to ignore the dead body on the ground and belive there was no shooting"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

Nice. Way to make PAD and his blog look good. Bottom line: Anyone who registers at a forum just to stir up sh*t is an idiot.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 5  

Joe: Is that you posting over at Denny O'Neil's board?

Scott Rowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

"Nothing in today's market could ever match that!"

Perhaps the market is so oversaturated the publishers think they need hype and spoil their own books.
I think it's more that they need to sell the books 3 months before they're published.  

An enlightened company realizes they have to help the retailers sell the books to the readers, but financially, the company needs to sell them to the retailers well before publication.

Personally, I like some info (like creative team) ahead of time, so I can make sure I can get the comics I want.  In the good old days, that guy buying the X-Men may not have seen Neal's version until issue 59.  He may well have skipped from the Steranko issues to Neal's first issue also (mind-blowing in a different way than Roth to Adams).  At least now I can be 99% certain that I'm getting a book i want.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

John Byrne wrote:
Some day, perhaps, you will labor for a year to create something, only to see someone else casually demolish it. And then a third person will refer to your ire as a "useless little grudge match".

Then you'll look back and realize what an ass you are.

You know my comment was meant to be as neutral as possible. And yet you respond with this name calling. Thanks. I appreciate that you feel you are the wronged party in all this. Taking out the frustration out on me or anyone who is a genuine fan of yours is rather misguided. It is a useless grudge match JB. Do you have proof of your take on things? Does Peter David? If someone were to come here with a negative tale regarding you I think we'd all like proof of it. The same circumstances should apply to claims made against others by you. Otherwise we may as well give as much credit to the bad PAD stories as we do the "bad Byrne" ones.

Proof is all I require from either of you. Otherwise this whole thing is a useless grudge match. With all this mudslinging you and Peter David will just end up getting dirty.

No one is ever the villain in their own stories. I accept that as a part of life. Doesn't mean I take them at 100% face value.

I'd ask for an apology for calling me an ass but I imagine it'd be a long wait. I'm not looking to be your opponent. So please don't try to turn me into one.

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

Troy Nunis: "Well, i'm sorry, unless you can tell us WHY he did this inexplicable action for which you can't possibly know his motivation for, beyond speculating, we will have to ignore the dead body on the ground and belive there was no shooting"

That's an absurd analogy. No one is disputing the "shooting" took place. Even with a murder, the court asks the question of motive. I firmly believe that Peter David distributed said artwork, as he has clearly admitted. Now, did he do it with malicious intent, as has been suggested? I'm genuinely curious as to the rationale behind the allegation. Why does Byrne assume this act was one borne out of negative intent?

Steve Horton: "Nice. Way to make PAD and his blog look good. Bottom line: Anyone who registers at a forum just to stir up sh*t is an idiot."

Who exactly are you referring to?

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 9  

Who do you think? By the way, we require full first names and last names here, unless you go by "L" like G. Gordon Liddy or T Campbell. (If so, my apologies.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

Now, did he do it with malicious intent, as has been suggested? ... Why does Byrne assume this act was one borne out of negative intent?

When did I say that?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

"Another flaw in the JB story, at a convention a fan comes over and states he got pages from Peter David, except I don't believe Peter David was that well known at the time. Saying "I got it from the guy at the Marvel Table" I could believe but specifically mentioning the name of a pro that fans really wouldn't have known at the time. That leads me to believe it was a retailer event, given PAD's postition at Marvel at the time retailers would know his name, average fans, not so much."

Excellent point. Guardian expired in 1984; my first published comic work didn't come out until 1985. It's not like my work on "Marvel Age" established my name in the consciousness of fans. So Byrne's latest lie becomes that much more obvious when faced with yet more indisputable facts. Sadly, most of the Byrnebots on his board will never look below the surface.

Peter David was the only person at the con not wearing a name tag, it seems.

"Disingenuous" is the word that springs to mind.

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

Steve Horton: "Who do you think? By the way, we require full first names and last names here, unless you go by "L" like G. Gordon Liddy or T Campbell. (If so, my apologies.)"

I assumed you were referring to me, but as you did not specify, I felt it best to ask lest another red sweater be hurled at me. My full name is Landry Walker. I noticed nothing that specified I was required to list it, and I frequently go by L. Walker professionally and on most forums I participate in.

That said:

Steve Horton: "Nice. Way to make PAD and his blog look good. Bottom line: Anyone who registers at a forum just to stir up sh*t is an idiot."

I don't sign up to forums to stir sh*t up. I sign up at forums when there is something I am interested in talking about. Previous to this, I had not encountered something I of enough interest to me to pursue. For the record, I don't care about how my participation here makes Peter David's blog look. Why should I? It's not my blog, after all. Besides, I have done nothing but be courteous and polite while asking questions that interest me. If that is akin to stirring up sh*t to you, I apologize. But I do suggest that perhaps you are seeing daggers where there are none. This is not about two warring factions. I am fans of the work produced by both the parties in this argument. Why anyone would suggest that my opinions and questions over this aspect of a long standing feud is akin to stirring "up sh*t" is beyond me. I've wondered about details since I saw the Byrne illustration on the back of the "But I Digress" book.

So why do you suggest I should not have chosen now to question the validity of this particular grudge? How does my expressed curiosity lead you to believe I am an idiot. If you feel strongly enough to make said allegation, I then pose my question previously directed at Byrne to you: What is the motivation in this instance? 

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version