Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Longest run on comics book? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 1  

I'd feel the same if it was Chuck Austen and Rob Liefeld breaking the record, so while I don't agree, I can certainly understand the sentiment.
Back to Top profile | search

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 2  

Matt Linton: I'd feel the same if it was Chuck Austen and Rob Liefeld breaking the record, so while I don't agree, I can certainly understand the sentiment.

It just seems hypocritical to say, "Here's the goal all creators should aspire to!" and yet when a creator someone doesn't happen to like might be the one to reach it, suddenly it's "Well, except for him.  He doesn't deserve it."

Honestly, I can't stand Warren Ellis.  But if he managed to put out 103 consecutive on-time monthly issues of a comic book, I'd tip my hat to him for it.

Hey, didn't Sal Buscema do more than 102 issues of SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN?  Should we give him a kick in the ribs for it?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks Matt! 

Rog, I just read something to that effect in an interview or profile during the last few days, I'm just not sure where it was (Newsarama, Ain't it Cool, some blog - somewhere) and it may have been a generic statement. 

That 's how I meant it - generically.  But since you took offense at the "bozo" comment directed at a couple of creators whose work I find "obnoxious and annoying" I thought I'd better provide the definition of the term that I used.

I wonder if Rex Reed had to explain any of his criticism so quickly.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 4  

Mark Bagley is a nice guy and I seriously doubt he would ever "crow" about his accomplishments other than to say he did the work. Mark has never been one to wave the "look how great I am" flag, but I have known him personally and not simply through his accomplishments.

I was in Georgia shopping as a kid at the local comic store when something in the water gave rise to Mark Bagley, Dave Johnson and Comic Shop News. I had the pleasure to then meet other locals in the biz at Gaijen Studios like Karl Story, Cully Hamner and Adam Hughes just to name a few. It was a great time and place to be a kid that enjoyed comics.

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 5  

I guess that I should also have mentioned that I've seen Mr. Bagley at shows several times.  He seems to genuinely be a nice guy to me, too. 

I still don't care for his work, and yes that being the case, nice guy or not -  it still grates that these guys may take the "title" (so to speak).

Let me say it for you, they do comics that "ain't your daddy's comics" and their "Ultimate" Spider-Man pales in comparison to the classic stuff from the olden days of the real House of Ideas.

Nuffsaid!@byteme.com

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 6  

Chuck went and answered my question before I asked it...

Edited by Roger A Ott II on 24 August 2006 at 8:10am

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 7  

Chuck Wells: Let me say it for you, they do comics that "ain't your daddy's comics" and their "Ultimate" Spider-Man pales in comparison to the classic stuff from the olden days of the real House of Ideas.

Yet it's still leaps and bounds better than the current "mainstream" Spider-Man.  Go figure.

Patrick Drury
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 8  

I wonder if Rex Reed had to explain any of his criticism so quickly.

===========================

Of course Rex Reed is a professional critic and doesn't post his critiques on a message board designed for conversation.

Jack McCarthy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 9  

Wow! I almost regret bringing up the Bendis/Bagely.  It seems to have taken on a life and direction of it's own that I don't understand.  

In this day and age of delays (look at the Civil War mess), for these guys to go as long as they have without a break and at one point deliver 18 issues a year, that's an accomplishment.  To appreciate them breaking the old Lee/Kirby record isn't a knock on Marvel's founding fathers.  Not every issue or storyline may have been a winner (Lee/Kirby had a flop or two in there every so often) but overall I think they delivered a very enjoyable run and did it on time without a break.  Kudos, B&B! 

Having pretty much been only a Marvel-guy since I've been reading comics, I can't say anything about the other long runs. Hey, for any of them to go as equally long or longer, kudos to them as well!

Lars Skau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 10  

I didn't know that Groo had so many issues!!

We only got about 10 or so in Denmark:(

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 11  

Ultimate Spider-Man, I would say, is neither better nor worse than the Lee/Ditko work. It's different. 

++++++++++++++++

Someone. Hold. Me. Back.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 12  

How many issues of CEREBUS had the backgrounds drawn by Gerhard?

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version