Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Longest run on comics book? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 1:36am | IP Logged | 1  

In the Superman titles JB did something like 60 stories. The work of five years in two years. And I can add the three GENERATIONS miniseries.

Tom Palmer inked dozens of issues of AVENGERS. He remained until the last issue of Vol. I (#402), but I don't know which was the first (around #250? And I'm excluding his inks for the Silver Age issues!).

Curt Swan drawn Superman for 33 years. His first story was for SUPERMAN 3-D (1953), the last (regular) for ACTION #583.

Cary Bates, Elliot Maggin and the "Schwartz gang" wrote Superman for 15 years (1971/1986). Yes, they're not the same writer, but I consider the Schwartz period a long storyline.

Chris Claremont wrote the X-Men for 16 years (Marvel record).

Peter David wrote Hulk for 12 years.

Bendis? Oh, he can write 2000 issues of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, but 2000 issues of USM are 30 stories or so.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 2  

Greg Waller: I guess I'm just less impressed with it, at least from Bendis' perspective, because he's basically just re-introducing and re-interpreting material that already exists. I think most of the praise should go to Bagley... especially in a day and age where we're told that fill-ins apparently "suck" and most artists can't produce three consecutive issues without blowing a deadline.

I understand what you're saying, but how is that really any different than some writer doing yet another Avengers vs. Ultron story, or yet another Fantastic Four vs. Doctor Doom story?  If you can accept these, why not the other?  Outside of the costumed names, in most cases the characters in ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN don't have the same backstories or situations as their regular Marvel Universe counterparts.  Case in point, the Ultimate version of the Scorpion in issue 97.  Not Mac Gargan, not even some guy hired by Jameson to spy on Spider-Man.

Nothing is ever going to hold a candle to Stan and Jacks 102 issues on FANTASTIC FOUR.  Nothing is ever going to be as good as those 38 issues of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN by Stan and Steve.  And I don't believe Bendis or Bagley have ever said their work was in any way superior.  But, using the FF run to set yourself a goal shouldn't be considered a bad thing.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Scott Richards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 3  

Groo got 8 issues from Pacific (I think), 120 from Marvel

Hmmm.  So the Lee/Kirby FF will soon be the 3rd longest run at Marvel with Groo being # 1 and Ultimate Spider-Man be # 2.

Seems like Stan and Jack still hold some kind of record for the longest run of comic books... that were actually good.

There was not a single bad issue of Groo, IMO

Edited by Scott Richards on 24 August 2006 at 6:46am
Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 4  

Cary Bates wrote the Flash from 1971 - 1985.

Dan Jurgens wrote Superman in various books from 1989 - 1999.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 5  

Ultimate Spider-Man has had the same writer &/or artist the whole time?

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 6  

Doug Moench on Batman, despite there being gaps in-between.

He wrote Batman and Detective form 1983 - 1986. Batman = 41 issues and Detective 40 issues.

He then was involved in Batman again on a regular basis from 1990 - 2001.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 7  

Ultimate Spider-Man has had the same writer &/or artist the whole time?

Same writer and penciller since issue 1.  Also, for about 2 or 3 years the book shipped 18 issues, rather than the usual 12.  You can certainly argue about quality or originality, but a writer/artist team putting out 110 consecutive monthly (and sometimes more than monthly) issues is rare.

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 8  

Before Bendis and Bagley start crowing too loud about their supposed eclipse of Lee & Kirby on an extended run for a M***** title, someone should find out how long writer Paul S. Newman may have remained on one of the books that he wrote.

Admittedly, I'm not sure if he would end up being the champ,but it grates that the two bozos mentioned above might take the crown.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 9  

Andrew Hess: Ultimate Spider-Man has had the same writer &/or artist the whole time?

Yes. I think there have only been a small handful of inkers on the series, too.  Art Thibert being the longest-running, I believe.

From an artistic standpoint, I can't think of anyone currently in the industry outside of our own John Byrne who is capable of producing artwork for 99 consecutive issues of a series in the same time that Mark Bagley has.  He gets high accolades from me for that.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 10  

Before Bendis and Bagley start crowing too loud about their supposed eclipse of Lee & Kirby on an extended run for a M***** title, someone should find out how long writer Paul S. Newman may have remained on one of the books that he wrote.

Unless one of those books was a Marvel title, it wouldn't affect Bendis and Bagley's record, which, as you state, is for a Marvel title.  And since it's based on number of issues, saying "supposed" doesn't make much sense.

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 11  

Still grates!

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 12  

Chuck Wells: Before Bendis and Bagley start crowing too loud about their supposed eclipse of Lee & Kirby on an extended run for a M***** title...

Please point me to the article or interview where either of these guys is crowing about one-upping Stan and Jack.

Like 'em or don't, but until you have proof, plese stop putting words in other people's mouths.  That's how nasty rumors get started.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version