Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: EEEEEEEEE (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2006 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'd buy all these Atlas books if I could find them. Damn.
Back to Top profile | search

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2006 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 2  

Here's another one...

Pierce Askegren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 3:17am | IP Logged | 3  

The Grim Ghost was another Fleisher, and probably the best book he wrote for them -- sort of a Spectre-type, but working for the Devil.  Unlike the others, it had a fair amount of humor and even wit, so it read better.

Eclipse was going to revivve the Seaboard characters at one point -- sort of.  They found that the trademarks had lapsed, and developed a set of newish characters with the same names, then sent out ashcans to various dealers in order to prove that they had used the names in interstate commerce (useful for establishing trademark).  I don't believe they actually bought anything from Seaboard/Atlas, though, and were gonig to use the old names to trade on established reps.  They'd done something similar with Airboy and associated characters.

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 4  

Iron Jaw* was one weird comic book.  In the first issue, the hero kidnaps a woman and (pretty clearly) rapes her and then keeps her around for more fun.  Not entirely happy about the situation at first, she adapts, and has a soliloquy about how she didn't ever think she'd like this kind of life, but she's come to appreciate and enjoy it.  Writer Mike Fleisher has a text page at the back of the book about how he's thought long and hard about male/female relationships, and has written Iron Jaw in a way that comports with his beliefs.

This sounds similar to the Gor books by John Norman, every one of which I have dipped in to read seeming to be vehicles for the peculiarly misogynistic philosophy of its author - unless the series is black comedy whose tone I have mistaken

Pierce Askegren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

There are certainly points of similarity, though I recall Fleisher's stuff as being more horrific and Norman's as focusing on sexual bondage and conditioning.  One of the early Gor books has a chapters-long sequence in which the hero imprisons a woman in order to get her in the proper mindset (acceptance) for her upcoming rape, only to eralize he's left the bathwater running for too long or something, and being distracted until she gets pissed off at him for not raping her yet. 

Norman's real name is John Lange -- which caused some confusion for years, as a MUCH more famous writer used that as a pen-name (coinciidence).  He's quite sincere in his beliefs, which have become the foundation for a number of bondage clubs (on-line and real life).  Norman is something of a fixture at East Coast science fiction conventions, or was, back when I was going to them.  He's not well-loved more mainstream SF writers, and I've heard him complain that he's been blacklisted because of his books' contents, which makes them unattractive to major-house editors (many, many of whom are women).

He's an academic, a tenured professor of English (I think) at a New York university.

Pierce Askegren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2006 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 6  

Oh, and he's quite sincere in the beliefs that inform the Gor novels -- he's published non-fiction works with similar content and lectued on the proper roles of men and women.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

That's... unsettling, Pierce.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

I take it you're familiar with Wonder Woman creator William Moulton
Marston and his views on bondage?

Answers.com article