Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: THE SHAPE OF THE FUTURE! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've had a similar idea for years now. My idea was to take the two most popular franchises--X-Men and Spider-Man--and have them featured in anthology magazines. In the anthologoies would be other really well known Marvel heroes thgat have gotten the movie treatment, a la DD, FF, Hulk, etc. If sales warranted, they could expand the magazine line to give other popular heroes their own  magazines. 
Back to Top profile | search

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
I think the resistance to the anthology format can be overcome in two ways. {snip for brevity}

That may help, particularly the second point.  The first though, has the potential to keep the problem alive.  That is, the more features, the greater the odds of the package not being a good value.

Of course, that portion will all be personal opinion and choice, and it will be impossible to please everyone.  The balancing act necessary would be to find combinations to please a large enough base to make it worth the change, and also to determine what level of losses would be acceptable, as there would inevitably be those people for whom the combo isn't enough of a value to them personally to warrant the purchase.  (And, as an extension of that, what - if anything - should be done to try to return them to the fold?  A solid TPB program collecting the various storylines/series some six months after their publication/conclusion?)

George Peter Gatsis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

guys... for this to work STOP thinking "anthology" and start thinking extended single title....

ex.  Xmen, Uncanny, Xfactor all in one book... titled THE XMEN...

this is not an anthology if it is running the same title... this case "THE XMEN" which has 3 ongoing storied by 3 teams, which if read together you get a bigger story...

Spiderman and Superman and all those other multiple titled books...

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

You'd still want at least some anthology types, for lower-tier or single title characters.  This debate is what I was getting at earlier when I said you'd have to consider very carefully what content to put in each volume.  Of course, I don't have the solution, because nothing will ever please everybody!

Scott Rowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

I like the idea -- I've always liked giant-size packages that offer me more for my money like the late lamented Marvel Megazines and DC's Super Spectaculars.  This is a logical next step for anyone trying to reach a mass market.

The problem is that I think the companies are too timid to make such a change.  The comic book market in general has not been to receptive to ideas like this in the past.  But it's more than worth continuing to raise the idea.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

"I still think the bottom line is that most people aren't willing to pay very much money for something they consider as juvenile, disposable entertainment, even if that's not what it is."

"People", regular stiffs, meaning adults. That's not the target audience for comic books. WE (fans) are not even the target audience for comic books, or shouldn't be. The target audience should be kids, kids like WE were, kids being introduced to reading through comics, kids who won't pick up a book but will read a comic, who may change their tune on reading in general which will better their lives, who will then sustain a love of comics and genre entertainment for the rest of their days, maybe produce/create what we love for those kids they once were.

And what's the diff between a 4 dollar comic and an 8 dollar comic with three times the content, including larger art? Well, nothing, unless as indicated that content changes. More self-contained single stories, for one. Money talent for another.

And also the three-in-one concept provides even MORE opportunity for inter-title story-telling, if that's so important. Hell, you could get an important "event" in one "issue" of the comagazine. Imagine some kind of "Return of the Hobgoblin" storyline between the covers of the same book. I definitely would pay the four extra bucks for the lack of confusion.

But again, if comics remain the overproduced drivel the major titles currently are (outside of the Batman work that's been going on), obviously I won't buy'em and neither will kids bored by them. The format MIGHT change the content, and that would be welcome, if it's for the sake of good story by good creators.

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
guys... for this to work STOP thinking "anthology" and start thinking extended single title....

ex.  Xmen, Uncanny, Xfactor all in one book... titled THE XMEN...

this is not an anthology if it is running the same title... this case "THE XMEN" which has 3 ongoing storied by 3 teams, which if read together you get a bigger story...

Spiderman and Superman and all those other multiple titled books...

Same concern applies, though.

F'rinstance, there was a period of several years recently during which, of the Superman titles, I was buying/reading exactly one, because only one appealed to me.  (Couldn't stand the work of the "Joes"--Kelly & Casey.)  And, during the crossovers between all of the Superman titles, I didn't even buy that one.  (Why spend time & money on only part of a story, if I know going in that's all I'm going to get?)  So, if all of the Superman titles were to be in the same book, I'd again have run into the situation of having to decide if it was worth the price, when the majority of the magazine wouldn't appeal to me.

(Again, not to say I'm necessarily indicative of the audience as a whole...just that it's an illustration of the balance that must be struck, as more features are added to the mix.)

Rey Madrinan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

The Manga magazines that someone mentioned have filitered over here somewhat, and they sell crazy, from what I hear. Thier content is radically varied, so I'm sure kids are still willing to buy something with a story they don't care about in it.

I think its a great idea, Matt.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew Turnage
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

I generally like the idea, but I have some reservations.

If I remember my publishorials correctly, this was the same basic logic DC used when they started their Dollar Comics line back in the mid/late 70's.  They wanted comics to be as attractive to a newsstand vendor as Time or Life, from a profit-potential perspective.  They kept the standard comic dimensions, but initially gave 80 pages with probably 65-70 of that all-new comic stories, published in anthologies with similar-themed stories (Superman Family had Superman-related characters; World's Finest had superheroes, mainly JLA members; I think G.I. Combat was a dollar book; there was a science fiction anthology - Timewarp?; etc.). 

I'm not sure exactly why the Dollar Comics went the way of the dodo, but there could be several factors.  In order to keep the price point, the page count was reduced over time, thus reducing the "better bargain" appeal you mention.  Maybe the anthology format was a problem.  I don't know.  But I'd like to know more about why Dollar Comics didn't work before I signed on with this new plan.

Ultimately, though, I'm for whatever it takes for me to be able to read new Superman comics every month for the rest of my life.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

Given that younger audiences really seem to enjoy
the manga-sized format, I don't think that changing
the physical dimensions of the traditional comic
book is going to scare off new readers or win them
over one way or the other. It would definitely alienate
some of the current/long-term fans, though, and I'd
just as soon wait for trade paperbacks (which aren't
all that much more than the $7.99 price tag you're
mentioning) than get entirely new bookshelves for
my apartment.

If the whole reason for doing this is to bring in new
fans, then it shouldn't matter whether the material
being presented is all-new, half-new and half-reprint,
or all reprint, since the material will be new to the
audience anyway. Marvel's Ultimate newsstand
magazines probably failed because they were
unable to get the wide distribution they needed for
the magazines to be successful, not because the
current comic book readership didn't support the line
(since they weren't the intended audience in the first
place, right?).

If DC got Time-Warner's support for a
four-issue-at-a-time magazine-sized reprint
collection of Superman, Batman, JLA and Teen
Titans comics, and if they could successfully figure
out what kids want to read about (by studying
publications like Nickelodeon Magazine) and if they
could collect and produce material that was
legitimately targeted toward an all-ages audience,
and if they were able to hit the same $5-or-so price
point that Nickelodeon does, maybe that would be a
hit. Make sure to include advertisements from some
mail-order comic companies and that comic shop
locator 1-800 number in every issue, and that might
even bring some new readers into the fold over time.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 11  

"But I'd like to know more about why Dollar Comics didn't work before I signed on with this new plan."

I don't know the behind-the-scenes story, of course, but I would suspect the failure of Dollar Comics was due to what has already been referenced in this thread - namely, you can't publish regular comics and an alternate format at the same time.  If a company is going to make the switch, it's going to have to essentially "force" the existing audience to jump to the new format because it may take a while to get regular folks to start buying this strange, new thing on their newstand.

Mike

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 12  

From a buyer standpoint, it seems like Matt's idea is supposed to cater to the current fan base.  I believe that is the problem that got us where we are at.  It sounds like Matt's idea is designed to best target the non-weekly buying fan (what some call civilians).

This is a magazine that should be at checkout counters, game stores, airports (especially) and anyplace where someone is going to impulse buy for something to read.  The idea of having seperate content sounds like it is designed to increase the readership because current fandom might pic it up as well.  But, ideally, I see it as a gateway comic.

Of course I would have no problem if all comic books were done this way.  Imagine having one X-Men comic instead of a billion.  Imagine one Batman comic that included Detective, Batman and a limited series.  Imagine one of whatever.

I thinks it is a fantastic idea.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version