Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: THE SHAPE OF THE FUTURE! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 1  

I agree with the "thickening" idea (in principle, anyway), but I disagree with increasing the size.  Don't think bigger pages is the way to go.  Depending on how retailers shelve their books, that could end up being a huge expense as they have to redesign their shelves.  And don't underestimate the backlash from the fanbase.  It wasn't just the retailers who were complaining about Storyteller.  Yeah, magazine boxes exist, but, as silly as it may seem, there are those who will be turned off by the fact they won't be able to store #302up with #1-301.  Plus by my understanding bigger pages cost more so it would increase your price point even further. 
Back to Top profile | search

George Peter Gatsis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 2  

1) wasn't there brief attempt 20yearish ago to have comics MAGAZINEsize and FLIPbooks?

2) for this idea to work you would have to devote a least one title... say XMEN to the new format... example: there are what... 3 xmen titles out everymonth... change the format, collect the titles Uncanny, Xmen and whatever else... and there you have it...

option 2 has a chance to work... I think option 2 for other multiple titles such as Spidey, fantastic four (including Franklin Richards funny book) etc... would work out just fine...

Heck this would clean up the cluttered list and organize it:
Spiderman Mag
Xmen Mag
Fantastic Four Mag
Marvel Monsters Mag
Marvel Westerns Mag
Marvel Team up Mag
Superman Mag
Justice League Mag
New Gods Mag

etc...

And the cost? 10 to 12 dollars... standard Magazine retail price...

edit 1: Printing cost would actually go down, because you won't have
1) multiple covers
2) multiple shipping
3) multiple binding
4) magazine set-up is more common especially if it runs in the same production cycle as Maxim/Playboy/Flair... etc...
5) shipping weight would go down as well...

Now that I am thinking more about it... hmmmmm....

edit 2: you could also include a DVD disk of advertisers content and special vids regarding comicbooks and maybe a free DIGITAL COMIC of Superman 1 or Spiderman 1... or FREE digital comics of the stuff DC and MARVEL have available on their domain sites...

bring the price up to $15.00 and you have something solid and very sellable...

Edited by George Peter Gatsis on 26 July 2006 at 8:16am

Howard Mackie
Byrne Robotics Security
Armed and Dangerous

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 3  

I like the idea, but I could have sworn it was tried
before... back in the 90's?

Howard

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 4  

You also have to remember, this is NOT about pleasing the fanboys, this is about getting regular people exposed to comics again and rebuilding the marketplace.  Given that the same said fanboys will whinge whatever you do, I'd say go for it.

As for changing the stores around, assuming we are speaking about current retailers, I could, for example, with a bit of good will from friends and a few pizzas and beers, totally shift my shelves around to match the proposed new format in a weekend.  And, as every retailer will tell you, just moving stock around can make it sell, as people get "blind" to stock eventually if it stays in the same place too long.

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 5  

Of course, having said that, the worst ever verbal mauling I've had in 18 years of comics retail was from a customer who had been collecting a book for some time (sadly, I don't remember what) and that book changed size.

He was shouting expletives at me as if it was my fault, and what was I going to do about it, now that they no longer fit on his shelves!  All I could do was suggest he write to the publisher...  by this point I thought he was going to hit me, but he just left, determined to write to them.

People are scary sometimes.

Derek Rogers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 6  

to bring down the cost of the comics, why couldn't we go back to newsprint?

wouldn't kids go for a cheaper individual comic than pay for a glossy bulky and more expensive one?  those allowances have got to go a long way!

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 7  

I have made this suggestion before, but I thought it made more sense to make these quarterly books that include 3 issues of a single book, and stagger the releases so that Spider-Man comes out one month, X-Men the next, Fantastic Four the next, and so on.

Between each issue, editorial could create articles about movies and video games starring the Marvel characters, along with "DVD extras" like sketches, scripts, interviews, etc, and maybe even short lifestyle articles about music, fashion, sports, whatever. Include previews of the other 3-issue anthologies and previews of TPBs at the back of the book, and use it as a loss leader to get people excited about buying comics.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Deuser
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 8  

I guess I fear change - I just want quality comic books delivered to me on time.

I'm too cynical to think that changing the physical size of a comic book would deliver, since formatting forces none of those two attributes.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Spalding
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 9  

For everyone that thinks this won't work, look at what is published outside of America.

In Japan, there is Jump magazine, it's what, 200 ish pages of comic, and it's these strips being collected in the manga books you find in stores these days.

Here in the UK there used to be a thriving anthology comic market.  Now it seems to be picking up again. 2000ad and the Judge Dredd Megazine are still going strong.  Panini are publishing reprints of fairly recent Marvel Universe and Ultimate universe books in the kind of sizes Matt mentions.  And these are all available in newsagents.

The rest of the world seems to have no problem with this kind of publishing, maybe the American market is mired in the nostalgia factor, I don't know.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 10  

Howard wrote:
...I like the idea, but I could have sworn it was tried
before... back in the 90's?...

It's never been tried in the manner I suggested, which is that there would only be the magazine-sized comics, both at the newsstand and direct sales. The modern comic as we know it would be gone in favor of the new format. To make the plan work it has to be done totally and completely.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

Roger beat me to the point I was going to address.

While anthologies have always had that potential for having to buy something you don't like in order to get something you do, it would seem that the more features and higher the price, the greater the opportunity for the purchase not to be of value to the reader.

Using the same Avengers/Captain America/Iron Man example:  For the sake of illustration, let's assume that my reaction to each of those series in the $8.99 anthology format is the same as it is right now.  Namely, I enjoy the Cap title, have always been indifferent to "armor guys" and require something special to really draw me to their stories, and couldn't be paid enough to bother with Avengers as it is.  In Matt's proposed format, I can drop nine bucks for the single, 22-page story I'm interested in (or, more likely, not...that doesn't seem like a good value to me). In the current format, I can drop three bucks on Cap, and the other six on two other titles that do entertain me.

Now, if the publishers were to offer the same sorts of savings for direct subscriptions that it seems most magazine publishers do (40-50% or more), then that may make for more of a per-unit value.  (The only magazines that we read regularly in the house are all direct subscriptions for this very reason...we find it much more economical to, up front, pay a lump sum that comes out to be about $1.50 per issue, instead of $4.99, or $2.75 instead of $7.99.)

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

"Using the same Avengers/Captain America/Iron Man example:  For the sake of illustration, let's assume that my reaction to each of those series in the $8.99 anthology format is the same as it is right now.  Namely, I enjoy the Cap title, have always been indifferent to "armor guys" and require something special to really draw me to their stories, and couldn't be paid enough to bother with Avengers as it is.  In Matt's proposed format, I can drop nine bucks for the single, 22-page story I'm interested in (or, more likely, not...that doesn't seem like a good value to me). In the current format, I can drop three bucks on Cap, and the other six on two other titles that do entertain me."

I think the resistance to the anthology format can be overcome in two ways.

1.  Multiple shorter features.  Instead of three 22 page stories, have five 15 pagers or something like that.

2.  Lower the cover price by increasing the ad count.  32 page comics have 10 pages of ads, and it's the same 10 pages in every comic.  I believe the ad-to-content ratio for magazines in 50/50.  66 pages of comics + 60 pages of ads = 126 page magazine with 6 times the number of actual ad pages as 3 comics.  Even charging less per ad, you would hopefully earn enough to drop the price of the anthology to 4 to 6 bucks an issue.

Mike

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version