Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: THE SHAPE OF THE FUTURE! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 1  

The thing about trade paperbacks is that the monthly comics are loss-leaders for the trades.  The overhead cost of printing and distributing may be very close, but the monthly is where the talent is paid the earning wage.  I hear lots of folks say that they wish that the companies would just publish the trades as original graphic novels and bypass the monthlies.  But that would be so far from cost effective that it would completely obliterate the industry. 

For instance, six issues of Amazing Spider-Man are collected in a trade currently.  Whatever the cumulative current page rate for the writer, penciller, inker, letterer, and colorist on a 22 page comic is, it's covered by the print run and the monthly sales.  This dictates if it will be profitable to continue periodically.  Not counting any production costs outside of the previously mentioned talent, nor the editoral staff's salary,  I would grab a figure out of the air and say that it cost around $7500 to produce a single issue.  That's up front cost before any sales.  Multiply that by 6 and that's $45,000 for the creative content alone.  Factor in that the team responsible for this content are working for 6 months to produce just one trade paperback and not generating any revenue for the publisher during that entire production schedule and you have a financial nightmare. 

Currently, trade collections are no-brainer when it comes to profit.  Royalties paid to the original creative team are a fraction of the cost of buying new stories.  The market is held by both the bookstore crowd that are not buying the monthlies and the fans/collectors who are either waiting for the trade or buying the same thing they already bought once in a different format.  The only monkey wrench in the system that I can see is when trades reprint stories that pre-date current production and printing methods.  Therefore adding the cost of restoring/transferring to the necessary format for a re-release. 

I guess what I'm saying is that there is a line of caution to be drawn by the publishers.  Because a dead horse doesn't pull a cart very well. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

To sell more comics, the focus has to be on content. We have to somehow
get people to realize that the contents of these little pamphlets is as
important and relevant as US News or as fun as reading about gossip in
People. Then, maybe comics will sell better.

---

I think the focus needs to be on value. The problem with most modern
comics is that you are paying $3 for 1/6th of a story that takes 5 minutes to
read. Bundling several stories together will go a long way to adding
perceived value to comics.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

To sell more comics, the focus has to be on content.  We have to somehow get people to realize that the contents of these little pamphlets is as important and relevant as US News or as fun as reading about gossip in People.  Then maybe comics will sell better.

Except you then run into the current problems of price, format, and distribution.  All of those, as well as content, would need to be addressed to increase the number of readers.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think it's a good idea Matt

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 5  

I pretty much agree with everything Matt Hawes said, and have had the same feelings for years.

You have to remember that people care about percieved value before anything else.  They see a comic book, hear the price, and are usually staggered at the cost.  You show them a trade of 6 issues that costs roughly the same as six issues, and they don't bat an eye.

Another side effect is that if the publishers have a tie-in deal with the supermarkets and such, then they simply won't tolerate late product: this means the publishers will have to hire artists and writers who can work to a deadline.  This means the likes of Howard Mackie, John Byrne, Roger Stern etc will be in demand, and will be seen by countless new people.  In fact, John Byrne and similar artists would be at an advantage because they would be recognisable to the parent who would ultimately be paying for the comic.

Remember, I have people come in my store regularly and say something similar to "do they publish a Spider-Man comic?" and I'm sure other retailers have heard the same thing over the years.

You need to "Relaunch" comics in this new format as if comics haven't been produced for twenty years, because to a large part of the public, they might as well not have been.

It would be pricy, it would be a gamble, but I think it would pay off, and without rebuilding distribution, I can't see a very happy future for comic books in the US at all.

nick dicarlo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 1:48am | IP Logged | 6  

I think your ideas are well meaning but i doubt that anything like that would ever be done and even if it were i don't believe that the impact would be beneficial.

comics have been a unique size among periodicals for a long time - making them regular magazine size would make them even less distinguishable from tons of other magazines. A significant change like that needs to overcome alot of inertia and this increasingly corporate world we live in is all about inertia.

The problem is also that there has been a geometric increase (ok a little exaggerated...) in the number of distractions available to young people. Cell-phones, myspace, text messages, xbox, PS2, the internet in general, etc etc.
I've noticed that even in terms of 'activities' like sports etc the kids nowadays amost don't have the time to be kids. (And my friends parents thought the Atari 2600 was bad....)

To survive, any commercial medium needs to adapt to the times and comics are no exception, we all know this. The question is what is the best way? Of course since I don't live anywhere near Delphi, I've got no clue ( though even if i did i doubt i'd ask - Greek soothsaying generally ends badly ).

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 2:04am | IP Logged | 7  

For years I've been pointing out that HEAVY METAL MAGAZINE is the model for the comics industry to follow.  Commercially, not creatively, mind you.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 8  

In France it is already done that way. I remember the first french comic book I bought had Spider-Man, Iron Man and Daredevil. 3 stories in one book.

F.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 9  

there are bags and boards, and boxes produced for magazines, so storage is not an issue. And magazine racks are very common. In fact, more common in most stores (all kinds of stores, that is) than comic book rack and shelves.

Nevertheless, Matt, you're talking about retailers nationwide essentially have to "re-rack" virtually their entire stores. I can't imagine that being welcomed as a great idea!

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 10  

The bag it, board it & store it crowd which is the majority of comic buyers would hate it... I know of people who would not buy the Alex Ross/Dini specials simply because of their size....The contect of the books had ZERO to do with their decision....

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 11  

One problem I would forsee is in your Avengers/Captain America/Iron man book, what if I only like the Iron Man story and the rest don't float my boat?  I'm not going to continue to plunk down $8 for just that one story, no matter how great it is.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 12  

Anthologies have traditionally presented the problem of readers having to buy stuff they didn't want in order to get what they did. As with me, for instance, dutifully picking up ADVENTURE COMICS for the Superboy stories, even tho I wanted nothing to do with the Legion second feature.

This was less of a problem in days gone by, when fans were less anal about what they bought -- I did buy those issues of ADVENTURE, after all -- and less inclined to take the inclusion of something they "didn't want" as a personal affront.

Something else that occurs to me as I type -- Marvel pretty much scuttled their graphic novel line when they turned it into the dumping ground for any old crap that happened to be lying around the office -- often material considered unworthy of the "real" titles. How long would it take before anthology books suffered a similar fate?

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version