Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Deadlines and Schedules (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

This thread moves fast.

Chuck, I envy you your friendship with Jorge Zaffino, an astonishing and distinctive artist who died too bloody soon.

If the roses some people grow looked like Adam's roses, there might not be such a problem. Coming in late with inferior work is a double disappointment.

The alternating-arcs idea is only a variation on the inventory issue: OF COURSE there should be issues in reserve, to cover lateness, and OF COURSE an arc should be finished before it starts to appear in the shops. The inventory story would be easier if the characters and their continuity weren't getting major annual reboots.

No offence to the working writers here, but I will never understand how a script for a mainstream superhero monthly can be late. Comics scripts of this type are not all of high literary quality: if one can't get a great one done on time, one can write a publishable one in a day or two, and I'll bet Chuck and Howard - or Messers Dixon and Mackie, if I'm being overfamiliar - have done that once or twice. If the arc's more ambitious than that, write the arc in script month one.

I keep coming back reluctantly to the only explanation, apart from industry-wide editorial incompetence, which makes any sense: that to the publishers, comics are no longer primarily a monthly medium. The "monthly" is a comic-shop-afficionado's paid-for preview of the trade paperback.

IMP.

Back to Top profile | search

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

"The "monthly" is a comic-shop-afficionado's paid-for preview of the trade paperback."

Never been put more succinctly.

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

Even better the second time.  Beautiful.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

Beautiful pages!!...It's good to have Adam Hughes here!!!

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

Great to see Adam Hughes here.
One of my favorite artists since his stint on "Maze Agency".
Those WW pages look great. Really looking forward to ASWW.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Rowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

"The issue of the Amazon Competition is one I'm actually wrestling with.  Back in the Golden Age, when WW was only strong enough to lift a car, and NEEDED to deflect bullets with her bracelets, it was OK to have the contest.  She was one Amazon among many.

Nowadays, with her having near-Superman levels of strength & toughness (and Superman being WAY beyond leaping tall buildings, etc), I have to decide if she's a unique Amazon with the powers of a goddess, or if we have an island full of Kryptonian-level Amazons.  Since I dearly WANT to have the Amazon Contest, I'm wracking my little brain on a good way to make it all work in the context of her classic origin."

Adam,

Doesn't it make sense for the gods to give her the powers as a reward for winning the contest?  She wins because she's tough and determined and because she's compassionate, showing a strength of character that makes her a good choice to go and help out the outer world.  The gods are touched by the determination and compassion she shows in the contest, and decide to reward her with the powers to help her carry out her mission.

That way, she competes on an even playing field with the other amazons, but still has the greater abilities when she ventures out into the world.  Moreover, she was willing to go out and risk her life even without the powers, showing that she truly is a Wonder Woman.

If you want to use this idea (and hadn't already thought of it anyway), please feel free.

Patrick Clarke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think the first rule of a good "project manager" be it an editor, or producer, for comics, games, or TV is being smart or ballsy enough to cry "BS" on the people who are doing the project when they project their time and commitment.

Whoever didn't cry BS on Adi for Iron Man (love Iron Man, love Adi, but they lost me when the book didn't come out on time) should be whipped with noodles! (It's not like it's a war crime or anything)

The editor should know his or her creative team and know the schedule, and work back from that.

Adam, awesome art btw. Very lovely.

- pjc

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 8  

Humorously, I had lost interest in this thread... but it's REAAAALLY slow so I was poking around for Byrne joy all over the internet, and the hot word on the street was that Adam Hughes had come over give JB some what-for...

Glad to see that's not true - and more - I was shocked to hear it, since I was in the same room as Mr Hughes and Mr Byrne a few years ago, and they got along just fine.

In fact, in fairness to the whole situation - what happened was - JB and I were sitting at a table in the lounge of the hotel, discussing - I swear - KISS - and some girl came by and mentioned - Hey!  Adam Hughes is hanging out by the fireplace, shooting the breeze! - JB bolted up, and got all excited, and marched off to see him. 

I think it's pretty clear that JB is a fan, and I don't get how the usual gang of idiots has turned this into some sort of bitchy cat-fight...

Oh, and Adam Hughes - LOVE your sig line!!

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 9  

Oh, and Adam Hughes - LOVE your sig line!!

Just knew you would Mike...

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

aw, ya got me... but I'm surprized that Juan didn't chime in...

But seriously - that's one of my fave songs of theirs...

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 11  

Adam Hughes: I personally choose quality over quantity.  It's not for everyone, it's just how this cat is wired.  I don't think EVERYONE should slow down and work at this pace.  I think everyone should find their niche and excel at what they do best.

-----------------

Late to the party, but I'd like to say this anyway.  I don't believe anyone here belittles artists who are unable to do a monthly, but rather those who commit to a monthly schedule knowing that they cannot possibly do it realistically.  You are a consummate professional, and one of my favorite artists, and I'm far from alone here on this forum in that opinion!  I'm looking forward to your run on All-Star Wonder Woman.

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2006 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

wow those pages look nice, much better than in the 52 book.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version