Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8
Topic: An Alarm Clock and an Aspirin (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 14 July 2006 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 1  

Well said, Mr. Dixon.

But back to the Alarm Clock and an Aspirin question.  As a kid reading that, I had no problem with it.  While I was sure I couldn't do it, I didn't know it was impossible. (Actually, I still don't know it's impossible)  It just showed how smart and dangerous Luthor was.  Who cares if it was actually possible?  Was it any more unrealistic than a man who could fly so fast he could break the time barrier?  It's called the suspension of disbelief, people.  I have no problem with it today, as an adult, either.  Being that clever is Luthor's 'super power', after all.

Back to Top profile | search

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2006 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

Nice piece, Mr. Dixon.

Although it's JB's site, if it were up to me, this post might get a special place
here on the JB forum as a 'sticky.' Something for referencing by new and old
members alike. Why? Because you've succinctly summarized something
that practically every member of this forum discusses here literally everyday.

I may feel differently about this later (not likely, however), but for the time
being it seems your post says all the right things. Thanks.

Ray Earles
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2006 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

Sorry if my comments seemed trollish -- it wasn't my intention to provoke a negative response.

My thinking was more along the lines of observing how classic mythology or folk tales are handled. No one really objects to multiple versions of the Greek or Norse myths existing at the same time (or evenn co-existing, as they do in the Marvel Universe).

Edited by Ray Earles on 14 July 2006 at 1:02pm

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

Chuck Dixon says right.

On the covers thing: not long ago I looked at just about every Superman cover ever, to see about narrative-and-iconic. For the first couple of years the most successful superhero in the world had what are now called iconic covers, then for about sixty years he had the most hook-heavy narrative covers you can imagine, consistently. So it looks like that works.

And The Lion King isn't my favourite film, but who is it here who can't spell Hakuna Matata?

IMP.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2006 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

Jon Godson wrote: "In the Shazam! feature in World's Finest 268 (1979) written by E. Nelson Bridwell, Captain Nazi sneaked food from his prison tray so that he could combine the food additives to make him a flying gas that he breathed so that he could escape over the prison walls."

I totally remember that!  By the way, I was ten years old at the time and I can't tell you how much I loved Don Newton's artwork on "Shazam!" in World's Finest and "Batman" in Detective Comics. 

Edited by Josh Goldberg on 14 July 2006 at 5:22pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2006 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Wasn't there an issue of Fantastic Four where Johnny comments that Dr. Doom could make a time machine out of an alarm clock and an aspirin (he's obviously joking) and Reed sort of off-handedly says that while he couldn't make a time machine, he could certainly make a significantly powerful explosive?

Didn't see this answered.  And yes there was.  In #293 (JB's last :-( ), the FF are looking at Kristoff and Johnny made the remark about making the time machine with an "alarm clock and a couple of aspirin."  Reed says "Well, a bomb perhaps.  But he'd need an entire bottle of aspirin to synthesize enough TNT..."

Always loved that bit.  Didn't know it was a tribute to an old Superman story.  Neat.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 14 July 2006 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

Er, Mr Dixon, I was making a joke there... mutter grumble...

Chuck Dixon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2006 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 8  

S'okay, Mike.

My bad.

I guess I have a raw nerve from all the interviews I do that start off "So, where have you been?" just because I don't work regularly for DC or Marvel.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ray Earles
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 9  

Mr. Dixon:

I'm not sure how much feedback you ever got on RACER X, but it was a big favorite of mine when I was a kid. Todd Fox lives here in my city and he was astonished a few years ago when I brought him an issue to autograph.

** retreats back to the topic **

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 14 July 2006 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 10  

No hard feelings!  I think - and JB seems to encounter this too - that it's hard to convey the emotions of a post - and I can't bring myself to use those =) things, you know?

But yeah - you're good in my book, Mr Dixon!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 8
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version