Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: An Alarm Clock and an Aspirin (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

"an unselfconscious acceptance of their nature as fantasy"

That's the most elegant way I've heard anyone express that idea.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jacob P Secrest
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

What's wrong with that?

I make a time machine out of an alarm clock and an aspirin every other
day.

In fact, I'm making one right now.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Hugh Cherry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

If you really want to add something to the mix, include some navel lint, an orange peel, and a small piece of duct tape, and you can also open up portals into alternate universes!
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Oren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

If you really want to add something to the mix, include some navel lint, an orange peel, and a small piece of duct tape, and you can also open up portals into alternate universes!

Hugh you forgot to add the puppy dog tails !!!!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

Is this the kind of story folks on this board tend to like, or dislike? Does it remind people of 'simpler times' that you'd like to get back to, or is something like this appreciated for its nostalgic value--but you would never want to see this in a comic today?

This is a more complicated question than you might think. Stories like this began to fall by the wayside as more and more fans became pros. I was among the last of the first really major wave of this. By the time I got in, the fans-turned-pro were already so greatly outnumbering the old pros who had come in without ever really being "fans" that it was no longer the exception.

What the fans-turned-pro brought with them, albeit in a much diminshed degree, is the same kind of creeping embarassment that we see in the modern audience, (Heck, even Stan Lee himsefl has said this was his main motivation for reinventing superhero comics in the early 60s -- he was embarassed by the stuff he was producing, and wanted to do something more "worthwhile"? He credits his wife Joan for suggesting that he do that "worthwhile" stuff without embarking on a career change -- that he do it, in other words, with what he was already good at, writing comics. It is to Stan's credit that he also did not lose sight of his primary audience. That I, as one example, could pick up an early issue of FANTASTIC FOUR when I was eleven years old, and not feel lost or bewildered by the "new approach". Stan did not throw out the bathwater with the baby. He layered his stories, so that different age groups could appreciate them, including the vital entry level readers.)

Increasingly, thru the late Sixties and early Seventies, the stories shifted in tone. Perhaps it was the infusion of some truly amazing artistic talent -- one cannot really imagine Neal Adams or Berni Wrightson, to name but two, drawing a story in which Luthor summons Hercules by making a time machine out of an alarm clock and a radio. Neal's super-realistic style would have served only to underline the unreality. But whatever the reason, simply the arrival of more fans-turned-pro, or the fact that some of those fan-turned-pro were about to blow the whole tradition of superheroes out of its traces, the books did, indeed change, and with the change the target audience also changed. Stories such as the one cited at the start of this thread were aimed a kids -- 6 to 12 year olds, which is what I was when I first read it -- but later the stories were aimed at older and older kids, until "kids" was no longer even the appropriate word. By the time we got to the point where, say, the sex lives of the superheroes was no longer something giggled about in fanzines (and in the offices of the companies), but something that Needed To Be Addressed -- well, the Luthor who made time machines out of household goods was long gone. The stories that would allow a time machine without major backstory and justification were long gone. "Relevance" had come, and with it "grim and gritty."

If the tone had stayed as it was in the Forties and Fifties? Well -- perhaps comics would still be selling to kids, those 6-70-12 year olds (Yes, Joe Quesada -- they existed. I was one of them.) Perhaps stories like the Death of Gwen Stacy, the Dark Phoenix Saga, the "revelation" of Spider-Man as the latest in a line of Phantom rip-offs --- perhaps these would never have happened. But perhaps we'd be selling a whole lot more of these books, to their originally intended audience.

Hugh Cherry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Hugh you forgot to add the puppy dog tails !!!!!

No, that creates artificial life. And we don't want to go there.

Edited by Hugh Cherry on 13 July 2006 at 2:12pm

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wasn't there an issue of Fantastic Four where Johnny comments that Dr. Doom could make a time machine out of an alarm clock and an aspirin (he's obviously joking) and Reed sort of off-handedly says that while he couldn't make a time machine, he could certainly make a significantly powerful explosive?

That cracked me up.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 8  

I ain't wasting valuable duct tape on no interdimensional portal!

What if I run out? What else am I gonna tape my ducts with? Ham? I don't THINK SO...

Edited by Emery Calame on 13 July 2006 at 2:12pm

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

JB, did that box of comps include Sergio Aragones' issue of Solo? It has a Mark Evanier scripted story dealing with the psycho Batman.
The issue is pretty funny, and of course, has that terrific Sergio art.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Hugh Cherry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
But perhaps we'd be selling a whole lot more of these books, to their originally intended audience.

Do you think there would still be such a huge adult reading audience for comics if things didn't change? If comics had remained the way they were, pre-Stan's reinvention, do you think folks would have "outgrown" the material, and moved on to other things, or was there already a sizeable base of fans that were beyond that age range at that time?

It seems like the process is feeding itself. A generation of fans read the current books, then they become the pros, and they make changes in style, and story content, etc, to fit their desires/world view, then the generation of fans that read THOSE books grow up, and do likewise. Eventually, we go from something good, like what Stan Lee did with early Marvel (making books accessable to different levels of readers), to the drek we have today (for the most part-like the Spider Totem, the Gwen Stacy  thing, deconstruction (taken to the nth degree), the crazy Batman, etc) catering to those older fans who don't want to let go.

Eventually it seems (like you've been saying for a while now) the "system" will burn itself out and crash, since things are getting worse on each go round.

If people come to a point where they say, "you know, I'm getting older now, and as much fun as these comics are, I need something more my level." and then move on, thing might not be as they are now.

Does that make sense? Or am I just rambling?

Edited by Hugh Cherry on 13 July 2006 at 2:56pm

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

Is this the kind of story folks on this board tend to like, or dislike?
Does it remind people of 'simpler times' that you'd like to get back
to, or is something like this appreciated for its nostalgic value--but
you would never want to see this in a comic today?

These types of stories always felt hokey to me, even as a child. It's like something you might see on the "Batman" TV show or something - just too far-fetched and silly to have any dramatic value.

On the other hand, too many comics today go way too far toward so-called "realism" for my tastes. They seem to forget that comics are, after all, heroic fantasy and not intended to be reflections of real life.

But I think there definitely is a workable balance here. Most comics in the 1960s, '70s and '80s found it - and you still can see it today. These stories are credible enough to allow the reader to suspend disbelief. On the other hand, they don't apologize for being super hero stories.

Put it this way: I have no problem accepting the idea that Dr. Doom or Reed Richards can build a time machine. But I wouldn't be able to swallow that they could build one with a radio and a bottle of aspirin.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2006 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

"Does it remind people of 'simpler times'"

Simpler? In the same way today's comics are complicated as a thirteen-year old's tortured rantings?

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version