Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 1  

Caught Don Simpson on a bad con day.

Back to Top profile | search

James Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

Nice ones Paul. i like the Terry Laban one as well , i read Cud which i enjoyed a lot.

Also i've meet John McCrae in Glasgow  and he gave me a Hitman cover, pencils and inks. Nice guy.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 3  

Paul,

Are you a Spider-Girl fan?

Thanks for sharing your sketches.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

Marc, I really enjoy Spider-Girl. I'm a huge fan of both Olliffe and Frenz's art. Add in the great inking by Williamson and Buscema over the course of this title and it was always a great looking book. Hopefully with the relaunch Olliffe will go back to rotating with Frenz as the artist. If not I would love to see Olliffe pencil Green Lantern.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the sketches. It's good to share these with those who appreciate comic book art. I'll put up a few more tomorrow. I really enjoyed the ones shown by Dave and the others, I hope there are a few more of you looking who would like to share. Some of the ones I've seen at the cons blow my stuff out of the water.

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

Sorry for the shadow, but this is from the inside cover of my Art of George Tuska book and the scanner is wonky.   Not bad for a 90 year-old guy, huh?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 6  

Dumb question time.  Paul, many of those sketches look pretty "loose", so I can't imagine them charging you for them.  I still haven't made it to a comic con, but supposing I do one day, do you just go up to talk to them, and ask them for a sketch (nicely)?  Is it more proper to talk to them a bit, and wait and see if they offer?  Of course I know that there are plenty of artists who will do you a pay sketch, but that's not the same as some of these nice doodles.  Obviously this question is not just for Paul, but anyone who can answer!

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

In the current market of con sketches, you have to pay to get something other than a quick doodle. When I first started the ones you paid for were relatively cheap, about twenty bucks. Some guys would do really nice ones for free and others would charge to do very little. It's a mixed bag. Personally, I always offer to buy a sketch first. If the artist is already booked up or isn't doing full sketches he might do a quickie for you. On the lucky occasion he might like your previous sketches and do a nice one for free. Of the ones posted on this page I only paid for the Dorkin. The Perez involved a small donation to CBLDF.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

Wes, I really like that Tuska piece.

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 9  

Thanks, Paul.  He did sketches non-stop all through HeroesCon, but I didn't really plan on getting one.  He had a tall stack of his book for sale and each one had a different prepared sketch inside.  Even the ones of the same character were all different poses.  I had 4 IM's to choose from.  Of course the book was more expensive than cover price with the sketch in it, but it is well worth it.  Coolest part was that I had brought my copy of the book to be signed and I was able to do so and pass it on to a friend who couldn't attend. 

I have a Reed Waller Omaha somewhere and a funny little Perez pile of rubble he drew for me on a backing board while we were talking at a con years ago that I will try to find in the next few days to post.  Also a couple of Steven Butler sketches that I can put up, too.  Once again, when I find them. 

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

I almost forgot this one from HeroesCon, too.  I had Irwin Hasen draw Wildcat from his first appearance in Sensation #1.  Slightly cropped by my scanner, unfortunately.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 5:28am | IP Logged | 11  

Irwin Hasen is a great sketch to have, Wes. I had a chance to meet him years ago, but wasn't fortunate enough to get a sketch. Boy I would love to have a Golden Age Green Lantern by him!

Allow me to start off the day with another Guy Davis sketch.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 12  

Character from Star Slammers by good old Walt.

<< Prev Page of 35 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version