Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 35 Next >>
Topic: Convention sketches (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

Mr. Pruitt, I will arm wrestle you for the Rich Buckler Deathlok...name the time, and place. I intend to win...I will not give up until I win! I am getting out my weights and training as of right now. As for the two Nightcrawlers in your possession...heh-heh-heh...

(Joking, Dave...you know that!)

Edited by Mary Ward on 07 July 2006 at 5:36am
Back to Top profile | search

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

Dave! Ut!

Such nice stuff!

I also like James' STeve Pugh (I think?)

The stray toaster from Bill S is awesome, too!

Thanks for sharing folks!

Dan
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 3  

Does anyone else find it refreshing that some of these drawings... technically suck?

I like knowing that my favorite artists have to work at their craft..that the art doesn't effortlessly fall off of their pen at their whim.

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

Some do and some don't. Please keep in mind that the last 20 or so images I posted are only doodles, quickies that the artists or writers did for free in about as much time as it takes to sign their names, which I mentioned in the first post that started the doodles, with Terry Austin's Popeye. The rest are merely convention sketches, which means they are meant to be done quickly at a convention, usually in the presence of the person who aksed for them, not completed illustrations intended for publication. Big difference there.

I can't even do a mildly interesting doodle, so when those do fall out of an artists pen effortlessly, and most especially the con sketches that appear magically in a matter of minutes, in most cases, I'm mesmerized. Here's a doodle I have that blows my mind, and it took about a minute for Al Willilmson to draw.

Edited by Dave Pruitt on 08 July 2006 at 3:04pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 5  

Can we officially declare Dave's sketch collection the greatest in comics history?

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 6  

I remember Dave accosting me during Mid Ohio Con 2004 : "Fabrice, I would like to show you my collection of sketches!" We were in the middle of the convention and I was looking at all those sketches (2 fulls pads). Great great great collection Dave!

Dale Gonsalves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

I don't have any convention sketches :( , I do have some John Romita Jr Hulk pages and one Thor page inked by Bill Sienkiewcz though.

Toronto's Con on September 1 is the first convention I will be attending.

I am hope to start getting skecthes there.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

Wow. This thread is like Christmas for me - We don't have conventions like this over here. It must be great fun, and it sounds as if there's a great atmosphere to these events. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted - it's just so cool to see this stuff.

Dave - That Al Williamson sketch....Christ, that must have really been something, to see him him just draw that right before your eyes. Wow.That's all I can say!

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

It's a nice collection, but the greatest ever? Not even close. I've seen sketchbooks at cons that make mine pale in comparison.

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

That All WIlliamson sketch is incredible.

Robbie Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 11  

I had the honor of meeting Ploog in the hotel bar the night before heroes con last year. It was one of his very few appearances in the states in years. I found him to be an extremely good hearted and generous chap. He came over to our table and talked a few hours about his short career at marvel, his military days, and storyboarding (he's steven spielberg's number one man). I told him he had made quite an impact on thousands of young budding artists during his work with marvel and I remember him saying, "That's about all I made." We were hoping to get on his list for a sketch during the show and were completely floored when we found that he doesn't use a list. Fans who stand patiently in the long line received a free sketch of choice by Mike. Sadly I have seen more than a few ghost riders and vampirellas from that show fetching around one hundred bucks on ebay! Mike was interested in borrowing my warren companion overnight since he hadn't seen it. The next morning I was amazed to see an uncle creepy next to the title page. But the biggest surprise was when we were looking over his art portfolio of available pages before the show and I ran across a few originals from my beloved power records manthing comic set/published first in manthing #5 original series. That issue was released in '74 and Mike still had several pages. He also had great concept character sketches from titan a.e. and several oils.

The bat is from Budd Root of cavewoman fame.

Hope you enjoy-

Robbie

Edited by Robbie Cook on 10 July 2006 at 6:25pm

James Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2006 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 12  

Daniel G wrote- also like James' STeve Pugh (I think?)

Daniel it was done by a comic artist named Steve Doyl

<< Prev Page of 35 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version