Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 1  

Touché.

Is that the normal conversational fencing version of touché or the really strange one introduced in recent mac commercials?

Edited by Emery Calame on 10 July 2006 at 2:13pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Oren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

J.B. WROTE: Let's force ourselves to remember, for just a wee little moment, that this board is "my toys", and if I see someone refusing to play nicely with the other kids, or breaking the toys, I kick 'em out of the playroom. Tell me you would do otherwise.

UMMMM ....he shoot's......he score's.........i think that sums up that blast!!!!!!

Edited by Robert Oren on 10 July 2006 at 2:06pm

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

Emery Calame wrote:
Is that the normal conversational fencing version of
touché or the really strange one introduced in recent mac commercials?

I'm a Mac user. So, the normal conversational fencing version.
Back to Top profile | search

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

Matt Reade stated: This board isn't PC. I like it that way. I think most do.

Screw you, you Bush-hating, tree-hugging commie!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony Dean Kotorac
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 11:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think I might add my 2 cents here.

When I first saw this board I'll admit I was a little cautious about joining as it did seem like a 'dictatorship' (if lack of a better word). I saw a lot of crap written about this place so I poked around.

All I saw is a bunch of mates talkiing, laughing and having a good time. Sure I don't agree with everything that Byrne says but really is he not a person with different thoughts and experiences than my own?

So I joined here and as I've mentioned before this and www.normbreyfogle.com are the only places I post now. You can say that I have 'seen the light' lol when it comes to the trolls and morons on some of the other boards.

Chris Newton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2006 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB,

Didn't mean to sound condescending. Unfortunate choice of words is as good as any way to describe that last sentence. Thought about chopping it out but I had spent enough time writing that I just posted and left it as is.

Thanks to those who objected to me being called an idiot for expressing an opinion.

JD,

You strike me as a person who, like myself, would rather people get along and who winds up playing the peacemaker/negotiator, or attempting to. I have given up on Marvel comics awhile ago, only occaisionally picking up something due to the creators involved. The point about JB making a triumphant return to Marvel as comics royalty is interesting and plausible. From what I hear we are about to see the triumphant return of Neal Adams at DC. I buy into the argument that it would be worthwhile for JB to open lines of communication just because I'm that kind of guy and that's what I'd try to do, even if I've been burned before. The good that can come from it outweighs the bad.

JB, I'm not sure how Quesada ever got such a job with such limited expereince. You ever see yourself in an Editor or EIC type role? You are a veteran and from what I've read you have very clear ideas on how characters should be handled. I could easily see you as group Superman editor or something along those lines.

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

Relating to the original topic I suppose...did anyone catch Mark Waids sort-of apology to JB on newsarama?  Perhaps it's meaningless, but it seems like someone who is truly embarassed for his behavior.  Or wants good PR, heh.
Here, fourth reply.
Of course, none of this will stop the new nonsensical trend of calling JB a racist, which I can't for the life of me fathom.
*edited for clarity.

Edited by Jeff Lommel on 11 July 2006 at 2:21pm

JD Morrow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2006 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 8  

JD,

You strike me as a person who, like myself, would rather people get along and who winds up playing the peacemaker/negotiator, or attempting to. I have given up on Marvel comics awhile ago, only occaisionally picking up something due to the creators involved. The point about JB making a triumphant return to Marvel as comics royalty is interesting and plausible. From what I hear we are about to see the triumphant return of Neal Adams at DC. I buy into the argument that it would be worthwhile for JB to open lines of communication just because I'm that kind of guy and that's what I'd try to do, even if I've been burned before. The good that can come from it outweighs the bad.

There is an old saying, and I learned how true it was first hand. Pride comes before the fall. It doesn't matter. in most cases, who was wrong and who was right, unless we are talking about rape, murder, theft, etc... The rest is pretty easy to get over. It only takes an effort to do so.

I do believe that John Byrne should step up to the plate, if that's what it takes, and that IS obviously what it's going to take. I like the guy, and I'm sick of seeing the drama queens take it to him on a daily basis like they do, but it's not going to stop, so the ball is in his court to make a few changes, and opening up communications with Marvel again would be a step in the right direction. I think that's what most people would like, including Marvel.

Let's face it, who can blame any "outsider" from thinking it's Byrne's fault. How many times has he had these tifs with "the powers that be"? Even current regimes couldn't be blamed for looking at the track record that Byrne's had in that regard, and thinking that Byrne's got an attitude problem. I say this as somebody who supports him being pissed about what happened. There comes a time when he's going to have to be a good will ambassador if he wants to rectify that perception and rebuild the bridges that have been "Byrned".

There is absolutely nothing wrong or nothing "guilty" about taking leadership to make a bad situation better. With Jack Kirby and John Buscema no longer with us, John Byrne should right now be the "father figure" and institution in the Marvel ranks, highly respected by all, and always there to give advice to artists wanting to pick his brain for the wealth of knowledge about the medium and craft that he has. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen unless some steps are taken. John does come off as bitter and as if he has contempt for creators who are having their moment in the sun, and I wish he had a different approach. It's not like any of them will ever accomplish as much as he has, they are just top dogs right now. Someday, they'll just be a memory, not a legend like JB is, and I wish he would do some things to uphold his legend status, because I hate seeing something that was so hard to obtain, be reduced to nothing more than mockery. For Christ's sake, they call him "old balls" now.

It's come to the point where it doesn't matter anymore about who's right and who's wrong, the mockery will never go away unless John Byrne takes the bull by the horns. He's a good guy, he's just opinionated and misunderstood by many. It's not so far gone that it can't be fixed, and yes, I'd like to help out in anyway I can, but I can only do so much. I think it's very possible that John Byrne could mend bridges at Marvel, gain respect of his biggest critics in the process, and be welcomed back to Marvel with open arms, while being attached to a project there that reminds everybody of just why he became a legend, as well as introducing a whole new generation to his great Marvel work.

JD Morrow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2006 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 9  

Relating to the original topic I suppose...did anyone catch Mark Waids sort-of apology to JB on newsarama? Perhaps it's meaningless, but it seems like someone who is truly embarassed for his behavior. Or wants good PR, heh.
Here, fourth reply.
Of course, none of this will stop the new nonsensical racist trend, which I can't for the life of me fathom.

Wow, that was just what I was talking about, taking a step that you don't "have" to, but doing it anyway, trying to make a bad situation better. Kudos to mark Waid! My respect for him just went up a great deal. Everybody says things they shouldn't sometimes, so it's forgiveable, especially when they apologize.

Robert Oren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2006 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

If only they spent more time create stories instead of drama. maybe just maybe

the industry would not be suffering the way it is.!

just a thought..................

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2006 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 11  

JD - I'm sorry you gave the column by that Scumbag Johnsona link.

Curious thing is, the relevant section of his column is the longest, drawn out item in his column, and not really newsworthy. Unless you like to drag JB's name thru the mud. Which this Scumbag of a columnist does nearly *every* week.

(Check thru the last, say, three months and see how many weeks he *doesn't* bring up Byrne; and then see how often it is negatively, or to have a laugh at JB's expense. Not that he has an axe to grind, I'm sure.)

(And I call him a Scumbag knowing what that word means, and noticing that when he *is* called a Scumbag he doesn't link the thread to his column.)

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2006 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

I do believe that John Byrne should step up to the
plate

John Byrne is tried of stepping up to the plate. John
Byrne is tired of "doing the right thing" and getting
f**ked up the ass for his troubles. John Byrne is
tired of being lied to. John Byrne is tired of
you.