Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

Still, why not make a phone call and try to work it out?

So he can lie to me again?

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me!
Back to Top profile | search

JD Morrow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

So he can lie to me again?

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me!

No, so the lines of communication can be opened. I would say that Joe's mindset has definitely changed since he first became EIC, and now, more than ever, he probably understands a lot of communication skills that he didn't possess back then. DC's people hate him, but many in the industry like him a lot, just as the people in the industry that know you like you a great deal.

John, think of the kids who are missing out on seeing that new issue of John Byrne drawn Marvel characters!

Personally, I see two decent guys in you and Joe Quesada who had a serious and unfortunate falling out, but as decent human beings, it's nothing that can't be worked out. If he lies again, do you really believe anybody would let him get away with it? I'll torture him to the edge of madness if he dares kill my dreams!

It's one of those situations that I believe you would both look back on years later and wonder 'what took us so long".

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

IMO, liars cannot be not decent people. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 4  

The thought of JB being back at Marvel is quite frankly breathtaking.Youve been away too long JB.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

Joe Zhang wrote:
Yet another guy who needs to write paragraphs and paragraphs just to let us know he's an idiot. 

Although I don't agree with Chris at all, I don't think it's cool to call him an idiot.  Some people are concise, others are not.  Doesn't make a person an idiot for being long-winded.

Trevor Giberson
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'd sooner see you at Image.  They've bettered themselves and turned themselves into something respectable.  Marvel has gone the opposite direction.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 7  

Chris Newton wrote:
If JB closes a thread or revokes membership it can come off looking immature (packing up your toys and going home kind of thing), turn people off, etc.

I'm hard pressed to find a thread that John or any of us mods have shut down because the opinions held in those threads run counter to our opinions.  Someone might point out any threads on SUPERMAN RETURNS as evidence of this, but one need only check the months long, over 100 pages of replies on the movie board to the film to understand that it took a very long time to get to the point where discussion became verboten.  It's not as if JB one day woke up and declared all discussion should come to an end. The same could be said for the Moore thread on LOST GIRLS, a topic, I might add, that popped back up in this thread and, as I'm posting in it now, hasn't been locked down at all.

As far as revoking membership and that, in and of itself, making the board appear immature, I'd have to cry foul on that as well.  All boards revoke membership.  All of them.  They do it for any of a number of reasons.  To generalize and say that revocation of membership is immature would be to call out every board on the net as being immature.  I find that most people who follow the net party line that the JBF bans members because they don't agree with prevailing thought have absolutely no idea why a member was banned in the first place. I've never, in all the time I've been a mod, had a discussion with JB and the other mods about banning someone because they don't agree with me.  That's certainly never been a criteria for any of us, John included. 

Listen, people are going to find any of a number of reasons to be turned off about anything.  Lots of people get slighted all the time for one little infraction or misunderstanding.  That can't be helped.  This board isn't PC.  I like it that way.  I think most do.  Take a little more time to discover why a ton of people love this place instead, as I can only infer by reading what I perceive to be the tone of your posts from day one, of coming off as someone who already had a preconceived notion of what this place was all about and who posts from that position.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
Doesn't make a person an idiot for being long-winded.

Grandiose, uninformed sweeping generalizations, on the other hand...

...may not make you come across like an idiot, but do tend to further a
reputation for being an asshole.

For example.

[edited to add] I know I qualify in that category. Others might, too. I'm just
sayin'.

Edited by John Mietus on 09 July 2006 at 12:53pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

JohnMietus wrote:
Grandiose, uninformed sweeping generalizations, on the other hand...

...may not make you come across like an idiot, but do tend to further a
reputation for being an asshole.

For example.

[edited to add] I know I qualify in that category. Others might, too. I'm just
sayin'.

True, but I think it's better to talk about the points you don't agree with or call out those grandiose, uninformed, sweeping generalizations rather than falling back on the easy out of name calling.

I'm just sayin'.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

Touché.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

If JB closes a thread or revokes membership it can come off looking immature (packing up your toys and going home kind of thing), turn people off, etc.

Let's force ourselves to remember, for just a wee little moment, that this board is "my toys", and if I see someone refusing to play nicely with the other kids, or breaking the toys, I kick 'em out of the playroom. Tell me you would do otherwise.

JD Morrow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 12  

Still making headlines.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version