Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 1  

Did we ever get any proof that it was actually by Mike Wieringo? I still have hard time believing it.

If it wasn't him, don't you think he would have come forward and said so?
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 2  

Has anyone asked him?

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
If it wasn't him, don't you think he would have come forward and said so?

Yes, IF he is aware of this. We don't know if he is, so we should give him the benefit of doubt. Otherwise we'll be sinking to the same level as the people who tell Bad Byrne Stories.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chris Newton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 4  

JB,

Thank you for responding. You made me think about any job that I've ever had and I must admit that their are always people that I've intensely disliked no matter where I've been employed. So you got me there. It's just that, in posting such thoughts on the net, you make them public and (semi)permanent.

JD,

Are you the Morrow of TwoMorrow's publishing? I wouldn't be surprised to see you here. If that's the case I really do not want to argue with you. I respect you and what TwoMorrow's does. But let me at least answer a few points.

I'm not "sensitive" at all. None of Byrne's remarks have hurt me personally. I didn't feel like any of the remarks were directed at me either. The only point I wanted to make is that reading Byrne's remarks on this site have left a bad taste in my mouth. Not all of them. But there are enough to leave a bad impresssion. I wanted to suggest that this may be what gives Byrne a bad rep. I know the difference between facts and opinions and the fact in this case is that Byrne's remarks have in fact made me like him a little less. I'm not bashing Byrne by saying this. I'm pointing out that his comments on this website can be having a negative effect on his reputation.

As far as the other creators you mention I either do not follow their work or was unaware of their curmudgeonly behavior. It's JB's forum and I was talking about him. In the past I've been struck by what I thought was a curmudgeonly attitude on the part of Barry Windsor Smith. He's someone whose work I enjoy and follow. I sent him an email suggesting he tone it down, avoid insulting the entire industry and nearly everyone working in it, stop presenting himself as the only artist capable of good storytelling. He didn't respond. Oh well. Why did I bother sending him that e-mail? I wanted Barry to get more work, to do more work. I didn't want him to alienate the industry, isolate himself, and not produce anything. (I'm not trying to draw a strict parallel w/ JB here. BWS strikes me as lights years past JB on the curmudgeon scale.)

Calling me out because I have 11 posts only holds merit if you are suggesting I haven't read enough posts to really get a feel for what JB is like. That's a fair point. But, think about it this way. In a short time I've come away with a negative impression. If it can happen to me it can happen to others. If you get other newbies coming in who are either new to JB's work, or his site could they be turned off? Do you want them to be? I hope you are not suggesting I'm not entiled to an opinion. I've spent enough dollars on JB's comics in my day to be entitled to my 2 cents.

I'm probably responding to more people than just Mr. Morrow at this point. Forgive me. Someone made the point that it is JB's board, his rules, etc. In the end you are right. It is. I don't have to agree with JB. He doesn't have to agree with his posters and he can do with his board what he pleases. Going back to my original point though. If JB closes a thread or revokes membership it can come off looking immature (packing up your toys and going home kind of thing), turn people off, etc.

JB makes the point that things have to build to an irratating pitch before he takes such an action, and looking back at it I believe the thread I was referring to was a very long one. But JB, why not just let the thread go on? If people want to talk about it, let them. If you are personally tired of the discussion there's nothing to force you to continue to follow it or keep responding to posters in that thread.

I will concede that people may come in here with the sole intention of bashing Byrne. Maybe its so obvious and bothersome that this person warrants getting bounced. I certainly hope I'm not giving that impression.

On the other hand there is a difference between constructive criticism and bashing. Constructive criticism is legitamate and should be welcomed. I hope the line doesn't get blurred when it comes to bouncing people from the board.

Finally someone made the point about changing people. Good point. You can't change people. Back to what I was saying about BWS. Did I expect that he would change because I sent him an e-mail? No. More than anyone he strikes me as an immovable object. Do I want him to change, or JB to change who he is? Not really, because the work that I have enjoyed is a product of the person who produced it. If JB, or BWS, were different, then I may not have been able to enjoy some of the best comics I've ever read. To draw all of this back to my initial point, JB can be who he is, think and feel what he thinks and feels, but he should consider carefully the thoughts and feelings he chooses to make public in a medium where success is dependant on the approval of fans who wind up shelling out the money that leads to a paycheck. (Please don't think I'm advocating censorship here, I said consider carefully)

In the end don't you want people to like you and your work?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 5  

JB makes the point that things have to build to an irratating pitch before he takes such an action, and looking back at it I believe the thread I was referring to was a very long one. But JB, why not just let the thread go on? If people want to talk about it, let them. If you are personally tired of the discussion there's nothing to force you to continue to follow it or keep responding to posters in that thread.

Eventually these threads reach a point of being one or two posters insisting on taking a negative or contrarian position no matter how much evidence or common sense is piled before them. Then the question becomes "Why let it go on? What's the point?"

Many threads -- religion and politics, for instance -- are allowed to run their natural course. But in far too many cases, it becomes obvious eventually that some posters are just enjoying the "fame" -- and wasting everyone's time.

+++

In the end don't you want people to like you and your work?

What an incredibly condescending question. You make me regret having wasted any time at all responding to you.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 6  

Yet another guy who needs to write paragraphs and paragraphs just to let us know he's an idiot. 

Robert Oren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 7  

Hmmmmmmmm.......i guess J.B. unless you save puppy dogs from a well

or run into a burning building and save the 3rd ,4th,and 5th floors from burning to the ground. your always going to get this crap!!!!

then again you would more than likely piss off the owner of the building because

he wanted the insurance money !!!!  ....in short...you just can't win!

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 8  

His last sentence reminded me of the time I turned down a phone-solicitor trying to push some encyclopedias on me, who then asked me "don't you want your kids to learn and be smart?"  Apart from that unfortunate choice, from his tone, I don't think he's really in the same league as those people who come here to "call out" JB and prove their "worth".

JD Morrow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 9  

JD,

Are you the Morrow of TwoMorrow's publishing? I wouldn't be surprised to see you here. If that's the case I really do not want to argue with you. I respect you and what TwoMorrow's does. But let me at least answer a few points.

I'm not "sensitive" at all. None of Byrne's remarks have hurt me personally. I didn't feel like any of the remarks were directed at me either. The only point I wanted to make is that reading Byrne's remarks on this site have left a bad taste in my mouth. Not all of them. But there are enough to leave a bad impresssion. I wanted to suggest that this may be what gives Byrne a bad rep. I know the difference between facts and opinions and the fact in this case is that Byrne's remarks have in fact made me like him a little less. I'm not bashing Byrne by saying this. I'm pointing out that his comments on this website can be having a negative effect on his reputation.

As far as the other creators you mention I either do not follow their work or was unaware of their curmudgeonly behavior. It's JB's forum and I was talking about him. In the past I've been struck by what I thought was a curmudgeonly attitude on the part of Barry Windsor Smith. He's someone whose work I enjoy and follow. I sent him an email suggesting he tone it down, avoid insulting the entire industry and nearly everyone working in it, stop presenting himself as the only artist capable of good storytelling. He didn't respond. Oh well. Why did I bother sending him that e-mail? I wanted Barry to get more work, to do more work. I didn't want him to alienate the industry, isolate himself, and not produce anything. (I'm not trying to draw a strict parallel w/ JB here. BWS strikes me as lights years past JB on the curmudgeon scale.)

Calling me out because I have 11 posts only holds merit if you are suggesting I haven't read enough posts to really get a feel for what JB is like. That's a fair point. But, think about it this way. In a short time I've come away with a negative impression. If it can happen to me it can happen to others. If you get other newbies coming in who are either new to JB's work, or his site could they be turned off? Do you want them to be? I hope you are not suggesting I'm not entiled to an opinion. I've spent enough dollars on JB's comics in my day to be entitled to my 2 cents.

At the risk of losing your respect, no, I'm not the Morrow from TwoMorrow publishing.

Look, Chris, honestly, I DO understand your POV here. Byrne is not politically correct, and we've had it pounded into our heads by society that you "have" to be PC, or you are an insensitive, uncaring, jerkoff, and you can also attach terms like racist, chauvinist, etc..., to somebody as opinionated as John Byrne is, as he speaks his mind without sugarcoating anything.

I don't believe he's a bad guy. Actually, I think he seems pretty nice, he's just got a way about him that rubs people wrong sometimes.

Do I wish that he'd make a few changes? Yes, I do. Even though I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as his bashers are (not even close!), I do believe there comes a time when you have to take a look within yourself, and try a different approach. John Byrne is only human, he's not perfect, so he's made some mistakes, and continues to make them, as we all do. As Gail pointed out, pros have conducted themselves as anything but professionals when it comes to the subject of John Byrne. I've had my own words with Quesada on the subject. It's not a case of "only" John Byrne being the villian, as so many people are quick to say.

Yes, I wish JB would show more support toward fellow creators like he does toward the old school guys. I wish he would be more open to doing a podcast and trying to fit in instead of closing himself off to this little section of the community. I wish he'd register at another forum like Mark Millar's and congratulate him on his success. I wish he and Quesada would stop their fued and consider swallowing their pride, which isn't hard to do at all if you try. I wish John would start showing his biggest critics that he's better than they are, and realize that making an effort to be friends publicly isn't admitting that he was wrong, it's just the decent thing to do, even if those who he's extending the olive branch to aren't decent enough to take the first step.

I think John Byrne could become HUGE in the industry again, but that'll never happen under the current circumstances that we all have to unfortunately be a part of. Somebody's got to take the first step. I believe John Byrne is somebody that the most popular pros today "want" to embrace, just as John Byrne probably looked at John Buscema, Neal Adams, or Stan and Jack. He's "royalty" in the comics world, and I have no doubt that Ed Brubaker, Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Millar, and Dan Slott, would love nothing more than to have this master comic creator on their side, and they'd probably do just about anything for the opportunity and honor of working with him. I'd like to see that happen, and I'd like to see this Byrne bashing stuff slip away for the most part. There will always be a group of haters toward the man, even if he cured cancer, but there are things that can be done to improve things dramatically, and John Byrne is not without responsibility in that regard. I support him and definitely see much unfair bullshit directed at him, but I'm not so blind that I can't see that a few changes from him could go a long way.

Mr. Byrne, as a kid growing up and reading your many great comics, you showed me that there was nothing that you couldn't accomplish, no matter how insurmountable the task seemed. As an adult, I still believe that you can accomplish anything that you try to accomplish. Doing a podcast would be an excellent start toward letting everybody see who John Byrne is, and dispelling the rumors of this unpleasant ogre that many seem to believe you to be. I say all of this as somebody who has defended you at other sites and as someone who respects you a great deal. I only want all of this garbage toward you to stop, and I believe you're going to have to be the leader here, take the first step, and meet everyone else half way or more. If you did that, with one swift stroke, you'd kill any momentum that the Byrne Bashing crew could ever try to mount against you again, and the entire comics community would be a big winner!   

Edited by JD Morrow on 09 July 2006 at 11:37am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 10  

I wish he and Quesada would stop their fued and consider swallowing their pride...

And there you lost me. I do not have a "feud" with Joe Quesada. Joe Quesada, the Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics, has repeatedly lied to and about me, something someone in his position should never even consider doing. This is without any "prompting" from me. This is from the moment he assumed his current position, when he began his "HIDDEN YEARS is canceled -- no it isn't -- yes it is -- no it isn't -- yes it is" games. The same Joe Quesada who wrote an introduction for a book that had nothing to do with XHY, in which he went out of his way to say one of the things he had to deal with when he became EiC was "the stench coming out of the HIDDEN YEARS office.' Etc. Etc.

When someone repeatedly and vindictively lies about myself and my work in a public venue, I do not see any purpose being served by remaining silent. When he stops slinging mud, I will stop responding to it. In this, as with so much in life, I play only the cards I am dealt.

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 11  

Yet another guy who needs to write paragraphs and paragraphs just to let us know he's an idiot.

Like most of us, he's someone trying to articulate his sincere views in an environment in which he knows someone might just call him an idiot.

IMP.

JD Morrow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2006 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

And there you lost me. I do not have a "feud" with Joe Quesada. Joe Quesada, the Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics, has repeatedly lied to and about me, something someone in his position should never even consider doing. This is without any "prompting" from me. This is from the moment he assumed his current position, when he began his "HIDDEN YEARS is canceled -- no it isn't -- yes it is -- no it isn't -- yes it is" games. The same Joe Quesada who wrote an introduction for a book that had nothing to do with XHY, in which he went out of his way to say one of the things he had to deal with when he became EiC was "the stench coming out of the HIDDEN YEARS office.' Etc. Etc.

When someone repeatedly and vindictively lies about myself and my work in a public venue, I do not see any purpose being served by remaining silent. When he stops slinging mud, I will stop responding to it. In this, as with so much in life, I play only the cards I am dealt.

John, I'm on your side with the Quesada thing, and even told him that. (not that my allegiance really matters to anyone.)

Still, why not make a phone call and try to work it out? I'm half tempted to go to the next convention just to push the issue and get this bullshit resolved once and for all, but what can I really do about it other than complain or offer unsolicited advice? People with much bigger problems have worked them out. As I said in another post, you and Joe have much in common.

You both are incredibly talented artists. (you being the better of the two, of course...haha) You both have achieved far more in comics than just pencil drawings. You both have many good and decent people that speak highly of you, but you both have a penchant for making comments that rub people the wrong way, which leads to being misunderstood. It sounds like you two could have a blast sitting down and swapping stories over a beer. If anybody could understand what the other goes through, it should be the two of you.

For the record, when I talked to him about you, he didn't sling any mud, and spoke highly of your talent. He doesn't like things that you've said and done, just as you don't like things that he's said and done. I supported you, and there was no confusion about that. He was wrong! That's over and done with, though, so now I think you are both wrong not to try to come to a better solution than what you have. Yes, he may be more wrong, but be a bigger person than him and take the first step. If he disrespects that, I'll personally never buy another Marvel book until he's gone, and I'll head up a Quesada bashing campaign that'll make these Byrne bashers quit and join the other side!

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version