Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

I disagree a bit with your premise John (Webster).  There seems to be a pretty broad range among those "offended", from out and out troll to someone who understands the context of the statements and still feels they crossed a line.  Everyone has a different threshold for what will and won't offend them.  I've only been offended by one thing posted on this forum and it wasn't a statement by JB.  And when I told the poster why I was offended they apologized.  I don't think it does much good to just write them all off as trolls.
Back to Top profile | search

John Webster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
I disagree a bit with your premise John (Webster).  There seems to be a pretty broad range among those "offended", from out and out troll to someone who understands the context of the statements and still feels they crossed a line.

In regards to JB's statements, I think if they understood the context, they wouldn't be offended.  Or if they were offended, then in my opinion they were already predisposed towards being so.

QUOTE:
I've only been offended by one thing posted on this forum and it wasn't a statement by JB.

Well, then what I said doesn't really apply to this particular situation you found yourself in, as it was pertaining to JB's posts, not whoever you're talking about.

QUOTE:
And when I told the poster why I was offended they apologized.  I don't think it does much good to just write them all off as trolls.

Without details, I don't truly understand this circumstance enough to really fit it into what I was saying, so I'll simply clarify a bit.  I don't disagree entirely with the notion that there are those out there who, for one reason or another, have come to think JB is a jerk without being trolls. 

However, I think they lose their "innocence" when they go about the net (or come here specifically) with a confrontational attitude, spreading stories they themselves have no way to personally verify.  If one wants to think JB is a jerk based on what they read online, they are certainly allowed if they want to make such judgments off questionable sources of information.  If they are going to speak on it with some kind of authority to others, however, then I think an intelligent and mannered person has a responsibility to know what they are talking about.  Particularly when the truth is so easy to find.  They don't have to acknowledge this responsibiliy, and many don't, but those who do are the kinds of people I like to associate with.

Edited by John Webster on 07 July 2006 at 2:03pm

JD Morrow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

He's a recent new member here, tho' I don't recall any posts yet.

haha...maybe he's building up the nerve to ask. I can understand him being a bit shy about asking. Those horror stories probably do keep some people at a distance.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

I hope he does speak up, I've enjoyed what I've heard so far...he's certainly seemed to do his homework on the casts I've heard.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

In an example of the kind of synchronisity that I sometimes find decorating portions of my life, I found a pertinent quotation in the latest SKEPTICAL INQUIRER, in an essay titled, tongue firmly in cheek, "The Internet: A Shining Beacon of Truth".

"Correction of error is a process requiring human intervention, and so as long as there are many humans who find misinformation more charming than fact, error will flourish, no matter how readily available the facts are."

This is Robert Shaeffer writing, and his subject is UFOs, but the comment seemed to echo what is seen in this thread.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

I just wanna say that's good to have, from time to time, Gail Simone here!. You are always welcome with open arms Gail!  ;)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 7  

Fair enough, John.  I missed the distinction of spreading stories, etc.  There is the factor of public forum vs public forum, though.  If someone who has a public forum uses that to make a statement that you are honestly offended by, I don't see anything wrong with using a public forum to voice your disagreement.  Should you be fully informed before doing so?  Absolutely.  But uninformed opinions are everywhere (including here), and I'm too cynical to expect otherwise.

Regarding the second point, I was being deliberately vague because I didn't want to dredge up a settled disagreement with another poster.  I meant it more as an example of how people can honestly be offended and still come to a civil resolution.

John Webster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
Should you be fully informed before doing so?  Absolutely.  But uninformed opinions are everywhere (including here), and I'm too cynical to expect otherwise.

That really comes down to this, I think:

John Webster wrote:
They don't have to acknowledge this responsibiliy, and many don't, but those who do are the kinds of people I like to associate with.

john siuntres
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 9  

John,

Been meaning to ask you to do an interview on my net radio/podcast show called word balloon. I heard my name came up in this thread, and wanted to extend the invite.

I recently had Gail on, as well as creators like Walter Simonson, Steve Englehart Neal adams, Bendis, Denny O'Neil,.

I can go through DC with the request if you'd prefer, but I usually try to send an e-mail or PM directly to the person I'm trying to book, first. Hence, the public call out.

john@wordballoon.com

Edited by john siuntres on 07 July 2006 at 6:23pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

JD Morrow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 10  

Welcome to the forums, john siuntres. I'd definitely tune in to a John Byrne podcast with you. Walt Simonson is my favorite comic creator ever, so I really enjoyed that one quite a bit!

I am curious about this, so anybody that can answer this, please do. How long has Byrne Bashing been going on? Has it been since the beginning of the computer/comic creator era, or is this just something that really took off in the last few years?    

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 2:27am | IP Logged | 11  

(this is mike o'brien - I'm too tired and lazy to log off Tim's acct..)

According to Byrne himself, he started getting "your old stuff..." letters when he started Iron Fist... back in the mid-70s!

So... Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch was better? Hunh?

Everyone has different tastes, and someone maybe really did like the John Byrne of 1975 over the John Byrne of 1976, but I suspect there's a psychological insight to this story...

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 12  

I remember the letter that I think JB means - it said something about having wondered at first, whne seeing JBs Marvel work, where the deft draftsman from Charlton had gone, but now being pleased that JB was showing the level of skill he (the writer) had expected...like many letters of the time it read like a 'boy look how much I know about comics' and it worked to an extent since,as a reader of eleven or so, I found it impressive - never having even seen a Charlton comic may have contributed to this. 

As JB has said, it is I think a way of appearing knowledgable - to show what an expert you are - happens in any critically appraised art, people adopt the opinions of others as their own to hide their own lack of knowledge...as a younger man I was often guilty of this myself...it was one of the ways I got a degree in literature, after all

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version