Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 1  

Wallace, I didn't mean to make it seem Em vs. Will.  Maybe they're big fans of each other's work.  Whatever.

But there are clearly people with a sense of history who don't consider Will a valid hip hop artist even though he raps and has sold many, many records doing so.  And this isn't revisionist history.  From the moment he hit the national charts, people were dogging him and kept on.

Of course, some of it is jealousy.  He crossed over as a recording artist and that makes for bitter feelings (to which Nelly can attest).  I can't even describe what Will has done as an actor and movie star - seeing that he began as a rapper.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 2  

You know looking at the title for this thread once more, as it loitered around the top of the Forum I became aware that there are only two options! Is he a "Threat" or a "Menace"? Of course the context is assumed that this is in relation to the comic book industry!

I figure "Threat" is wrong as JB doesn't threaten to bring the industry down crashing about our ears. "Menace" initially sounded a little strong but then I was reminded of "Oor Wullie" (Scottish Annual printed here in the UK) He'd often be called a "Wee manace" which was usually followed by a little pinch on the cheek. the whole thing carried out with the feeling that the adults really wanted not to crucify him but rather say "Bless him, he's just a young lad".

There's something endearing to the thought htat JB is a wee menace;-)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 3  

John Byrne - Scamp or Rascal?
Back to Top profile | search

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 4  

The title is meant to be tongue in cheek isn't it?  'Threat or Menace' indicating that these are the only options (non-options, synonyms) that some will consider - that the issue is a closed one as far as they are concerned and their positions entrenched.

Is the coast clear to criticize rap without being considered racist?

Michael Gambon, I understand, is a fan of Eminem's (and presumably other rappers too) because, he says, it is the only place left in modern society where one hears the rhythms of poetry, the rhythms of Shakespeare. (Shakespeare's iambic metre doesn't seem as appropriate as anapest or trochees but anyway...)  

I also thought 8 Mile to be a very good movie with a strong (albeit one note) central performance...watching it I could see the craft that went into the art and understand what others found to celebrate in it.

But to me, it is still awful.  In The Last Boy Scout, when told he is to be made to feel pain, Bruce Willis' character says 'Play some rap music'.  Sums it up for me.

Don't think this makes me racist though.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 5  

Whatever?  Ha.

Leroy, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 6  

Ian, your dislike of rap doesn't make you racist any more than my dislike of country music makes me racist.

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 7  

Oops.  "Whatever" came out wrong.  I meant "Whatever Will and Em.  Just have a baby together already."

BTW.  I love (older) country music.  Pre-80's maybe?  When Waylon Jennings starts singing to me, I swoon.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 8  

What am I if I dislike most rap and country, but like certain songs in
particular?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 9  

Speaking of racism -- you know, we in the 21st Century really have no idea. I've been listening to Sarah Vowell's "Assasination Vacation" on CD in the car for the past several days. Discussing the arrest and incarceration of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd, the man who treated John Wilkes Booth's broken ankle on his flight from Washington, she brings up a quote from Mudd I had not heard before. Locked in Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas, Mudd was appalled when he learned that a troop of "colored" soldiers was being assigned to guard duty at that Federal prison. Bad as it was, with horrible conditions and White guards, the racist, slave-owning Mudd could only think it worse, as he reported in a letter to his wife, to be put into the hands of what he described as "unbleached humanity".

Has a certain horrible ring to it, doesn't it? This is truly the worst face of racism, when we find it in the minds of intelligent people, the kind of people who can string together a phrase like that. People who, by any reasonable definition, should know better.

We sometimes like to kid ourselves, don't we, that it is only in the brains of the ignorant and uneducated that racism can find purchase.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 10  

John Byrne: Scallywag or Ne'er-do-well?

John Byrne:  Bon Vivant or Cad?

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 11  

Ooo, I'd go with Scallywag from the first and Cad from the latter Mike;-)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 12  

Cad? Cad?? You been talking to my last girlfriend?

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version