Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hmmm...  Slother...  I like it!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 2  

Ian Evans: as I posted, I was conscious of the problems of tone we sometimes have, so made sure that I was as outrageously OTT as I could be

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that!  I do it all the time...

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 3  

"Guilty Conscience" is more ABOUT rape and murder than IN FAVOR OF rape and murder.

Yes, I'm an Eminem fan - because I truly think he hates himself, and I can relate to that.

Back to Top profile | search

JD Morrow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 1:10am | IP Logged | 4  

So, no comment about Rich Johnson's pro-Byrne article? (link page 14)

Well, it certainly doesn't take long for anything John Byrne does to make the gossip columns, huh?

He does make a comment about John knowing that he'll get a reaction when he says stuff, but that John doesn't think he should, as it's just his opinion. I would never presume to know how Mr. Byrne thinks, even if I knew him better, so I couldn't say how true that is or not.

I do know how I think, though, and there is something sadistically pleasurable about stirring a pot of nerd stew! If I were in John's position, I honestly believe the temptation to ruffle feathers of overly sensitive nerds on the internet would be a favorite hobby of mine. I'd be thinking shit up all the time to torture them with, and then I'd play innocent when the lynch mobs came after me...lol

Edited by JD Morrow on 06 July 2006 at 1:11am

Robert Oren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 4:43am | IP Logged | 5  

Early nomination for "Most Unhelpful Post."

i just like to thank jay for this nomination and.....sniff! ...i like to thank my wife for those horriable ....hot dog pies........again thank you very much,,,,sniff! ....this means so much !!..............

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 6  

Is the coast clear to criticize rap without being considered racist?

Not quite (Hee Hee).

As for Eminem, I've never thought he wanted to be black.  He ended up being associated with a lot of black people just by being involved in rap.  He doesn't come across as a poser on stage or during interviews (where posing would be obvious).

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 4:56am | IP Logged | 7  

Smith has always been a valid, respected voice in Hip Hop to those with any sense of its history.

No.  From the beginning, there have been fans, industry players, critics, reviewers who didn't consider Smith a valid hip hop artist - Eminem being one of them.  Is he part of hip hop history?  Yes.  Is he a valid hip hop artist?  I guess that an informed opinon.  I think he is, but clearly there were and still are those who think otherwise.  That's just the nature of the thing.  Some don't consider Ja Rule valid...

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 8  

"...to those with any sense of history."

(Oh, and Eminem had nothing but positive things to say about Will Smith up until the point when Smith made a comment about not having to curse or be negative in his songs to sell records.  Mathers took it as a direct attack on the type of music he does and responded with a verbal assault of his own.  I have never read or heard anything that would indicate Eminem felt that Will Smith was not a valid Hip Hop artist.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 9  

I do know how I think, though, and there is something sadistically pleasurable about stirring a pot of nerd stew! If I were in John's position, I honestly believe the temptation to ruffle feathers of overly sensitive nerds on the internet would be a favorite hobby of mine. I'd be thinking shit up all the time to torture them with, and then I'd play innocent when the lynch mobs came after me.

If enough fools are collected in a single space -- say, cyberspace -- it does not take long before no "pot stirring" is needed. People make it onto my Ignore list, for instance, when they demonstrate a pronounced tendency to "take offense" no matter what someone says. Red Sweater Syndrome. If they keep it up long enough -- that is, if I see them being quoted over and over with the same foolishness -- they eventually get booted off the board.

It never ceases to amaze me that some people will waste so much time and energy. Being an auto-contrarian is the same as having no opinions of one's own at all, yet there are those -- seen in this thread, for example -- who seem to exist only to wait for a prevailing sentiment to form so that they can take the opposite position. With people like this, "stirring the pot" becomes redundant. One needs do no more than say "I like Summer," and they will be there to read in hidden meaning and take offense.

So, of course, I long ago abandoned any attempt to couch my posts in PC phrasing. The combination of herd mentality and auto-contrarianism strips some people of anything even approaching independent thought, so trying to phrase a comment so that its meaning will actually get thru to them is like trying to bail out the Titanic with a thimble.

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 10  

Personally I've always liked the season of mist and mellow fruitfulness myself. You're obviously trying to say I'm wrong to hold that opinion.

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 11  

hhhhmmmm threat AND menace...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 12  

Takes too long to type. Threnace?

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>