Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne - Threat or Menace? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

Re McCain/Feingold:

There are provisions of the law that bar specific issue ads in the run up to the election.  These restrictions limit someone from running an ad that states "if you believe gun rights are important, you should know that Joe Blow is against ...."

I dont know all the specifics, but a google search of (McCain Feingold television advertising restrictions ) yielded a blizzard of hits describing how the law was applied for  the 2004 elections.

An unintended consequence (one hopes) has been the proliferation of a different fund scheme to support issue ads, the 527, whcih allows unfettered fundraising and advocacy, as long as no candidates are named in the ad.

Some links and quotes:

The law automatically regulates as "electioneering" any broadcast ad that refers to a specific federal candidate within 30 days of a primary or 60 days of a general election. Corporations must finance such ads with limited-dollar contributions—called "hard money," perhaps because raising it is so hard.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110005514

It's fair to say that the so-called campaign finance reform that Mr. Bush signed into law in 2002 will result in more money being plowed into negative advertising during this campaign than ever before. The McCain-Feingold law was supposed to curb the influence of big money in politics. Instead, it has led to an avalanche of money landing in the coffers of so-called 527 groups. The name comes from the section of the tax code that allows independent groups to raise and spend as much as they want on political ads so long as they don't expressly advocate a candidate or coordinate their campaign with political parties or candidates.
Back to Top profile | search

Jay Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

John Byrne wrote:
I may be misunderstanding you, here, but I do not recall anyting in McCain/Feingold that could be thus described. Which part or parts are you referencing?

McCain/Feingold defines as "electioneering communication" as (and I paraphrase) and advertisement which refers to a "clearly identified candidate" within 60 days of a general election, 30 days of a primary.  (Section 201) The 30 to 60 day period is what I referred to as before an imminent election.

Once you fall into the definition of an "electioneering communication," it's virtually impossible to legally fund an ad except one that is paid for by hard money contributions (which favors incumbents tremendously).  Some of the "bans" which contributed to the blackout include -- (1) no "coordination" with a candidate, or else use hard money; (2) no corporation or labor union can be the funder of the ad (this includes non-profit corporations -- virtually every type of legal entity or organization cannot fund an ad that identifies the candidate.  And even if you find a way to do it (say, if you were a wealthy individual), you have to file by name with the federal government that you are doing it.  (See generally the Sections in the 200 series).  There is a link to the text of the law here.

It's a scheme that perpetuates incumbency by making it difficult to mount opposition near an election.  It works as a virtual blackout on "electioneering communications" by making true issue-oriented, organized speech impossible.  I am willing to live with a quite a few schlocky ads in order to uphold the power of the people to try and get incumbents tossed out.  (Or stupid challengers, for that matter).

Scalia's dissent when the law was held constitution is in my opinion of the free speech problems -- Cornell has handy link to Scalia's dissent here.

Edited by Jay Matthews on 05 July 2006 at 12:53pm

Todd Hembrough
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 3  

Sorry Jay.  I waited and waited for your reply, then wrote up my post.  ONly to steal your thunder by 10 minutes.

I love the Cornell database of teh Scotus decisions.  It is fun reading even for a legal layman like myself.

T

Todd Hembrough
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

One curiousity of hte law is that Newspapers are exempted, even though they are corportations, because they are 'non-partisan'. 

Thus the NY TImes or CBS can continue to use corporate funds to try and sway elections though editorials, TV programs etc.

Edited by Todd Hembrough on 05 July 2006 at 1:00pm

Jay Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

No problem, Todd.  I probably had the thing open at my desk for 10 minutes.  It could have been forever before I responded, and I have neither the power nor desire to have my own little "answer first" rule.  We can leave that one to the host who graciously answers about 10 questions a day.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

Ian wrote:
...I was kidding??  Please tell me Glenn got it, at least...!

Yep...took me a moment but I finally got it...we're good.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

without much thought to whether a rap "song" that encourages the rape and brutalization of women...

Informed opinion.  So when Will Smith is not raping white culture, he's singing (Ooops) rapping about raping the bitches and ho's?

Edited by Leroy Douresseaux on 05 July 2006 at 2:27pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

Calling Will Smith a rapper can get you beat up where I work.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

Why is that, Emery?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 10  

Yep...took me a moment but I finally got it...we're good.

Cheers Glenn(and Jay and JM)...but that has taught me something - as I posted, I was conscious of the problems of tone we sometimes have, so made sure that I was as outrageously OTT as I could be - and yet still could be taken as serious, despite the post being based on nothing that you had said, nor that we had argued about, etc etc

And I thought I was being dead funny too...

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 11  

Wallace, because Will Smith is viewed as an MTV pop-music, dance club, sitcom, kid-pleasing entertainer who is imitating the "real important" rappers(whoever they may be at any given time) to sell singles and is not viewed as being representative of "real" rap.

And the people in question wouldn't actually beat you up physically but you could start a pretty heated conversation talking about Will Smith and Rap and there would be a lot of head shaking and someone would go out to the car and come back with a Tupac CD and blast it until I told them to turn it down(becuase I am the official low end corporate buzkill on the night shift).

To them calling will Smith a rapper would be like calling bubblegum and jelly beans a hearty meal.

Edited by Emery Calame on 05 July 2006 at 4:22pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

You know what's funny, Ian?  Despite the obviousness of your exaggerated tone and comments, people here DO react that way so often that I went back to review if we had indeed argued in the thread!  Which is much more of a commentary on how this board has progressed and message board communication than it is about anything you said...in fact, you sounded an awful lot like a member whom I've had to ignore in the past; I couldn't take his rants and attacks anymore...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version