Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: eternals....was jack kirby ahead of his time? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2006 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

<<Am I the only one who thinks Eternals is the best Kirby series? I mean, New Gods are cool, The Pact is the very best individual story Kirby did and all that. But as a whole I think The Eternals is stronger.>>

I tend to agree. I wondered if it was because I read so many issues of The Eternals as it was being published originally, and the eight- and nine-year-old inside me remembered it too fondly as a result.

Then my copy of the hardback omnibus showed up in the mail last week and I found myself reading it from the beginning, including issues that I had never seen, and I still feel that way.

No disrespect to the Fourth World material, which I also love, but this is primal Kirby, fettered somewhat by editorial dictates to shoehorn it into the Marvel Universe, but still mindblowing. And yes, it incorporates a lot of pseudo-scientific pop culture junk that was selling millions of paperbacks at the time, but so what? It was pure comic book magic.

I like what Gaiman is doing, too, but that is largely immaterial. It won't eclipse or change the considerable charms of the original.

Dare we hope that collections of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Machine Man, and Devil Dinosaur are on the horizon? (I would have rated the chances for 2001 to be slim to none a year ago because of the licensing, but Marvel proved willing to reprint its Godzilla series a few months back, so I can always hope...)

Back to Top profile | search

Rodrigo Baeza
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 2  

Karl Bollers:

"So yes, had SANDMAN been published as a regular DC title, it would have crashed, burned, and been cancelled inside of a year."

I'm not so sure about this. One thing to remember is that the Vertigo imprint didn't exist when SANDMAN started (late 1988, I believe). Vertigo came five years later, so it's quite probable that SANDMAN survived its first year (as a regular DC title) because sales were healthy in relation to other DC books.

Rodrigo
http://rodrigobaeza.blog-city.com

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 3  

Easy enough to check. Look for the Statement of
Ownership in early SANDMAN issues.

Jon Godson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 4  

Someone should tell the PTB at DC not to publish the upcoming four $100 Sandman archives because the series is not a commercial success.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 5  

Chris Schillig: Dare we hope that collections of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Machine Man, and Devil Dinosaur are on the horizon?

I dare hope!  I freakin' loved Machine Man and Devil Dinosaur.

Edited by Ted Downum on 26 July 2006 at 9:14am

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 6  

Isn't it wonderful to see people on this board doing EXACTLY the same thing that Byrne haters do? Take a few words out of context, put their own negative spin on it, and then declare how pretentious and arrogant Neil Gaiman is for saying Kirby was wrong.

I believe John Lennon also said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus too!  That arrogant Brit!  Burn his records!

Patrick Drury
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

The Sandman series started in 1988.  Vertigo, the imprint was started in 1993.

Jon Godson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

That depends on how you define "commercial success". SANDMAN was/is published thru Vertigo, and the expectations over there are a lot lower than in the other DC departments. If SANDMAN had been published as a regular DC book, alongside SUPERMAN and BATMAN, it would not hve been seen as quite such a "success".

According to Bookrags, Sandman sales did exceed Superman and Batman.

http://www.bookrags.com/history/popculture/sandman-sjpc-04/

Sandman was an example of a book that started with small sales but kept increasing.  I even remember a Sandman letters page that stated that Sandman was one of the few DC books at the time that sold more than 100,000 per month.

Gaiman says that the Sandman books were still selling around 80,000 copies per year (2001).

http://www.januarymagazine.com/profiles/gaiman.html

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

Karl:
 QUOTE:
So yes, had SANDMAN been published as a regular DC title, it would have crashed, burned, and been cancelled inside of a year.

Marvel title, maybe.  DC's cut off point for cancellations tends to be lower, particularly if the series is getting a good buzz.  But I think time period plays a factor as well.  Minimum sales requirements were a lot higher back then.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

Isn't it wonderful to see people on this board doing EXACTLY the same thing that Byrne haters do? Take a few words out of context, put their own negative spin on it, and then declare how pretentious and arrogant Neil Gaiman is for saying Kirby was wrong.

Gaiman has not been quoted out of context. Plus, he is a writer. He has some skill with words. Presumably, when he chooses words, he chooses them based on his understanding of what they mean, not at random. There have been occasions when the creator of a character "didn't get it right" -- Frank Miller proved that with Bullseye -- but it takes a special kind of arrogance to say such a thing about Jack Kirby. I do not believe Kirby should be given one iota more credit and respect than is his due -- but his due is a mountain greater than Everest. I am sure, after all his years in the business, THE ETERNALS was just what he wanted it to be, and anyone who does not want to pick up precisely the threads he left -- that is the one who is in danger of "getting it wrong".

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB: I am sure, after all his years in the business, THE ETERNALS was just what he wanted it to be

Was Kirby given cart blanche to do what he wanted at that time?  I thought I remember reading that he wasn't treated that great when he came back to Marvel in the mid-70's.  Would the editorial PTB at the time have had any say in the book?  I ask because ETERNALS, to me, never grabbed me like 97% of Kirby's other works and I always wondered why.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 26 July 2006 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

The Jack Kirby Collector with the Byrne back cover came out? I ordered this thing months ago through my online retailer. I wonder why it isn't listed in my pull list. I usually get the magazine every time it comes out. I was really looking forward to this issue because of JB. Angry emails are going to be writen. Okay not so angry, just one that pleads for my prepaid copy as soon as possible.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version