Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: eternals....was jack kirby ahead of his time? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2006 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

If you've liked any of Gaiman's other novels, you'll enjoy Anasi Boys.
Back to Top profile | search

John Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2006 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

I've been reading the series and see no signs of disrespect. He seems to be restoring the characters to Kirby's ideas after someone else changed them.

(and I have no idea who - All I know from the issues and Marvel's online entry  is that in a previous story (SPOILERS) the characters have lost their memories and sense of self. The opening two issues have been about their identities being restored.)

I would think that was something welcome around here.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2006 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

Chad Carter wrote:
He was forced to integrate the Eternals with the rest of the MU.

That is not true.  He was not forced to do anything regarding the book, and certainly not forced to integrate it with Marvel continuity.  According to Evanier, Kirby did not care whether Eternals was part of the Marvel Universe or not.  He had no opinion about it.  He simply didn't want to have to worry about being consistent with the continuity in other Marvel books.  He didn't have a specific desire for his stories to be set in another universe, he just wanted to be left alone to tell his stories.  He didn't want others messing with his characters, and didn't want to deal with characters others were writing too.

And anyway, it is debatable whether the Eternals stories written by Kirby took place in the Marvel Universe.  Agents of SHIELD appear (but not Nick Fury, or any established SHIELD characters).  A Hulk robot appears, but some folks argue that the Hulk could have been a fictional character on the world where the Eternals stories took place.  I don't think he deliberately intended Eternals to be set in another universe, but there's nothing in the original series that absolutely precludes that from being the case.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 4  

Chad Carter wrote:
And it's obvious that Kirby didn't create the Eternals "for" Marvel. He brought the idea that had floundered in DC with the hopes of continuing to follow the themes he found interesting.

In the end, it doesn't matter.  He sold the characters to Marvel, work-for-hire and all that. They were his creations, but they were no longer his.  Other than that, Zaki, Trevor and JM have said/asked everything I would have.  Except for...

What's up with this notion of getting pissed (your tone in this thread, Chad) at creators for either not doing a comic you would personally like to see them doing, or that they're not doing anything, in your eyes, to help the industry (creator owned work or your FF example for Gaiman)?  That charge has been leveled at JB for years.  Sure, he did NEXT MEN, DANGER UNLIMITED and BABE, but 99% of his output is on company-owned characters...and not always the most popular.  X-MEN wasn't Marvel's highest selling series, nor was the FF when he came on board.  SHE-HULK was a failed 25 issue series from the late 70s until JB revived her.  He's also worked on Superman, Spider-Man, X-Men (again!), Wolverine, Wonder Woman, and the aforementioned Fourth World, among many others. Yet I've heard people, here and elsewhere, say that him working on the same characters isn't "helping" the industry, or "moving the industry forward": "Who wants to read another story about Superman when there are still NEXT MEN stories to be told?"

Hogwash. 

Why does JB or anyone have to "move the industry forward"?  Why should you feel obliged to let these guys know that they aren't doing anything "new" and aren't helping the industry in any way because, quite frankly, you'd rather see JB on NEXT MEN or Gaiman on FF? Let the creators work on what the creators want to work on as long as they respect the characters and aren't trying to change them into something they're not.  So far, I see none of that from Gaiman and JRjr's ETERNALS mini.  I'm also looking forward to Cooke's THE SPIRIT, a character who couldn't be more tied to a single creator...much more so than THE ETERNALS and Jack Kirby, yet your argument falls flat, Chad, when you shrug this off as a character who is larger than the creator (except that, you know, he's sold as "Will Eisner's THE SPIRIT" and has been the only creator to work on the character for any period of time over 60+ years until his death) as justification for why it doesn't bother you. In one context is terrible, horrible, and disrespectful, yet given the same situation in the nearly the same context with a different set of characters and it's OK?  Huh.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 5  

"Let the creators work on what the creators want to work on as long as
they respect the characters and aren't trying to change them into
something they're not."

Amen to that, Matt. Although my own preference is usually for writers
and artists to do their own characters, the best work is usually going to
come from them doing the projects that interest them (though of course,
economic considerations will play a part with all but the most eccentric
writers and artists).

"I'm also looking forward to Cooke's THE SPIRIT, a character who couldn't
be more tied to a single creator...much more so than THE ETERNALS and
Jack Kirby."

I don't know that Cooke will be successful, but I do think he'll approach
the Spirit with respect for Eisner's work and his own considerable talent,
so it'll be an interesting book to look at.

I don't necessarily agree that the Spirit is "more tied" to Eisner than the
Eternals to Jack Kirby. That's true in the sense that the Spirit was Eisner's
signature character and the Eternals were merely one of many Jack Kirby
creations, hardly his best or his most famous (though certainly, I enjoyed
the book). But while Kirby was there, he wrote and drew all of the
Eternals--and after he left, few have touched the property. Lou Fine drew
the Spirit for four or so years; Wally Wood did the last few months of the
strip; Eisner employed an army of talented assistants, including Andre
LeBlanc and Jerry Grandinetti (if you've just seen Grandinetti's work under
his own name in the 50s and later, you haven't seen his Eisner style,
which is quite convincing). Eisner permitted others to do new Spirit
stories for Kitchen Sink, though admittedly, few were produced. But the
Eternals were, by and large, pure Kirby.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 6  

Let's not forget that Sal Buscema worked on a Eternals mini-series. The characters (as a whole or individual) have been used by Simonson, Byrne, and others through the years in Marvel titles. It isn't like they have laid dormant for twenty five plus years and Gaiman is the first to touch them after Kirby. The story for the current mini-series is pretty good so far, and the art is amazing. Danny Miki inking over JRJr.'s pencils are a very nice combination. He gives the work a smoother look, for those of you who are not fans of Janson inking his stuff.

GORdon Winiemko
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

i came across this thread, ironically, by googling kirby and the eternals --
i've been on a kick lately for the greats, jack *and* steve, and now funny
enough i come to the forum hosted by another great in the field.

i'm confused by how heated this debate got. although i suppose i should
not be surprised given it concerns a sacred cow.

to me the issue is not so much whether gaiman is filled with hubris (not
in this case), and that it's wrongheaded to suggest that a master could
not be masterful all the time (i gave up religion a long time ago).

the more pertinent issue to me is, why bother? it smacks of lack of
imagination to me to revive someone else's creation. being on my oldies
but goldies kick, i have been revisiting all prized eight issues of Shade the
Changing Man, and the same thing has occurred to me with regard to
that creation -- what was the point of making up such a widely divergent
mythology and then just slapping it with the title of something ditko
created, if not to just ride on the latter's coat-tails? i suppose that's just
good old fashioned looking at the bottom line ...

but what this also raises for me is this matter of continuity. Lee pioneered
this notion, that all the characters lived in this one "universe." a nice way
to boost sales overall but also nice to create the innovative "real world"
feeling. but what it has become is a way of maintaining the escapist
nature of the enterprise -- if there are ruptures in the much vaunted
"continuity" then the illusion of the total, immersive world is broken.

so it strikes me that fans are as much to blame for reviving the eternals
as the company. or at least that fan mentality. in looking over those
issues of Shade, and glancing at the letters page, i find it hilarious to see
fans asking when the rest of the "DC universe" is going to interact with
the mythos Ditko was building up -- along with complaints that Ditko's
characters weren't sporting contemporary fashions!

why ask for even care at all for the eternals to come back? it's like asking
for Godard's 60s movies to be remade, or for sequels. It's not part of
some world that needs to be maintained, it''s the product of one person's
imagination, an expression of that person -- mother mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom ... let it be.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

It's a valid point, but new creations don't tend to fare well in the current market place.  You could argue that for most fans the Eternals wouldn't do much better, but I think there's still a certain amount of brand recognition.  Romita jr did a book called the Gray Area a year or two ago and barely made a blip with it.

And the "why bother" argument, in the way that you're framing it, could just as easily apply to the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, or Superman.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Why does JB or anyone have to "move the industry forward"? "

Move the Industry forward? How about move it out of an anachronistic void? I relate the disintegration of comics with the overall quality. Complain about distribution all you want, but a majority of the comics produced are sub-standard. Kids can't read them because of content. I can't read them because the art is Manga-ed. 

What's laughable is how supporters of comics, superhero comics specifically, look at an Eternals comic by Gaiman and think, "This is what we need. This will heal the awful schism between what we need as great comics and the high school level Manga-esque tripe pervading the headliners."

I guess I don't know how things work. Good for Gaiman if this is his dream project. Every creator should have a shot at a dream project, if that's what this is for him. 

Help me with my ignorance. Is all work work-for-hire now? I thought artists and writers of any stature worked primarily for one or the other of the companies, unless they're working with today's independents or, like Gaiman, coming in with a specific project, a one-shot deal while more associated elsewhere? Contracts and all that. There used to be a stable of rotating professionals working on these headliner titles. Now there seems to be one or two guys writing and a bunch of people with one name like Prince producing sloppy over-saturated art.

I know there's plenty of good comics. I'm bemoaning very particular iconic loss, of the Hulk, of the FF, of Spider-Man, of the Avengers. What's happened to these titles is worse than anything that occurred in the 90s, and that's saying something. Maybe none of the talent wants to touch these titles with a ten-foot pole. Meanwhile, Batman is being revitalized, at least, by a commitment to the talent. Why John Byrne isn't on a Batman title is a shame, but at least DC seems to be trying. Albeit floppingly with the OYL nonsense. 

If there's talent to be had, use it. Gaiman could be on FF (and again, I have no idea whether he could write it or not) and integrate his Eternals storyline into an FF arc. Why not?

And as far as the Hulk appearance in Kirby's Eternals...that was most definitely forced on Kirby. Every Marvel comic of the day was cashing in on the Hulk television show, and his guest appearances in other titles was stunningly high. Kirby did the best he could to bring in at least ONE Marvel element without compromising his ideas; or do you believe he was DYING to tell the Robot Hulk story? 

I shrug off the Spirit because, as indicated, I believe the new series is under a watchful eye. Cooke is going to do right by the Spirit, it's in his wheelhouse, he's a grand talent himself with the correct sensibilities. Who knows about Gaiman and the Eternals? Jesus, who cares? One more poorly executed comic to join all the rest? Sing the praises. 

Connie Lynn
Byrne Robotics Member
Requested Cancelation

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

This is starting to remind me of all the conversations that went along the lines of "if they could get Kevin Smith and Jim Lee to do it, The Micronauts could be a best selling comic again."

From what I remember, Gaiman is writing stories for Marvel to fund the legal battle to free Miracleman from his legal limbo. He's not looking for long standing commitments, he's just looking to do a mini-series here and a mini-series there.  He writes novels and makes movies for a living.  In a way, he's writing The Eternals, so he can finish writing Miracleman.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 11  

Part of why I'm taking issue (I don't want to speak for anyone else) is phrases like "One more poorly executed comic to join all the rest?" in reference to the current Eternals series.  Reading over your posts you don't mention whether you've read it or not.  If you have, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, though if you feel it's poorly executed I'd think you'd want Gaiman as far away from the Fantastic Four as possible.

I can certainly sympathize with the feeling that certain books don't have the talent on them that we'd like.  Amazing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four in particular could, and should be so much better than they are.  But as far as Marvel is concerned, they do have their top talent/biggest name on those two books.  I can't stand 90% of JMS' writing, but he's a bigger name (due to Babylon 5) than Gaiman is.  It just seems like you're using Gaiman and JRjr's Eternals miniseries to take shots at things that have nothing to do with it.  You could just as easily say that Whedon and Cassady are wasting their time on Astonishing X-Men, a franchise that probably doesn't need their help, when they could be doing the Fantastic Four.  Why put Heinberg and Cheung on Young Avengers when they could be doing a regular Avengers title? Why has DC handed the Flash over to two television producers and a fairly unknown artist when they could have JB doing the book?

And the percentage of books that are "sub-standard" is going to vary greatly depending on who you ask.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2006 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

I should have said, "Poorly conceived." But you're right, I haven't read it. The argument didn't start out or center around the quality of this particular work. As with anything, I don't know what the argument is about. If Gaiman is working to achieve a Miracleman resolution, I commend him. Obviously that character has meaning for him, and good for him.

I overstepped with "poor execution". I have no doubt that with JR2 involved, the Eternals book is going to be well-done artistically. No doubt if I see it I'll check it out. I AM all for great comics, and if ETERNALS is one, that's going to be wonderful. Aberrant, even. I AM an Eternals fan (at least of some of the characters), while not being too hot on Gaiman. The philosophy behind the series is puzzling. "Why make it?" "Because it's there, Sidney!" Only it wasn't "there". I guess along with Nova and such, and with DC digging up obscure characters to base series on, this is more of that.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version