Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: The problem with fans and Spider-Man, in a nutshell (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm not sure what the true issue is though: Are the creators insane or are they cynically giving the obsessed fanboys what they want? And are they the larger part of the comics-reading public right now because of the damage the direct market did?

It's pretty commonly accepted that for SOME REASON (and that reason is in contention) that has probably little to do with the quality of the books, kids are not buying comics and broadening the audience for the medium is increasingly difficult.

Yeah, it's corporate, it's
sellout, it's off-character... but they're gonna go with whatever
they perceive will sell more.

I agree, I would only amend this to read that they will do what they PERCIEVE is the cause of sales.  Because the actual sales numbers are there for everyone to see.  The difficulty is figuring out WHY something might or might not sell.

Edited by Dennis Calero on 19 June 2006 at 1:38pm
Back to Top profile | search

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

Well, i think you know i disagree with you on this particular issue, Dennis, but, i really have to commend you on upstanding discussion stance throughout. I respect your position and arguments, and dear lord knows there's not much to respect on the Internet these days.

While others fell into preferring to ocasionally descend to sophomoric anecdotes when incapable to reason by arguments, you never did. Not too shabby, when a fresh user displays more maturity and intelectual integrity than people who've been here for thousands of posts.

Now, if you permit me, a slight advice: Just slam a door into yer finger knuckles, it will cause the same effects as discussing with some of these people, whilst saving you a good deal of time to do more productive things, hopefully, among more productive people.

;-)

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Emery, only one bottle of Beer Coke was ever made, and I've got it, and I'm drinking it now, and I've nearly finished it.

Ahhhh.

IMP.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

Oh thank God. You are truly a hero Ian and you WILL be remembered for this brave sacrifice.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 5  

If you're trying to say massive amounts of people are seeing the movie, then checking out the comic, saying "not for me" and then booking, I'm sorry.  Kids are watching the movie, buying the video game, and that's it.  THAT's the problem.

Part of the problem. There should be one Spider-Man, he should be broadly consistent with the film (and the film should be broadly consistent with the comic, as Spider-Man, pace JB, was, and X3 wasn't), and he should be sold bloody everywhere each time another in the film series comes out. What's it cost to see a film in the US? $10? There should have been a cheap, floppy $10 Spider-Man collection on a stand in every cinema foyer in the country while the film was showing. Marketing 101.

IMP.

Keith Elder
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

There should have been a cheap, floppy $10 Spider-Man collection on a stand in every cinema foyer in the country while the film was showing. Marketing 101.

Exactly!  It pains me to see how many opportunities Marvel is missing.  Changing their books to more closely coincide with the movies is, perhaps, irritating to us comics fans... but more importantly, does no good attracting anybody who isn't already a comics reader.  The mindset is so insular.

Every $50 spider-man video game sold ought to have a mini-comic included... or, better yet, a redeemable voucher for one free spider-man comic.  Every FF4 DVD sold ought to have a simple 3x5 card with a subscription offer (12 issues for $19.95!  Save 33% off newstand price!).  That would cost Marvel less than a penny per DVD, but would get their comics out to new people, which is where they need to go.

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

I recall my first exposure to Spider-Man was syndicated reruns of the 1967 animated series. I was only about 4 or 5 at the time. But this series, when compared to the comic book, did leave a lot out.

Spider-Man's rogue's gallery of the time is presented, but with no character development. They are simply villains for Spider-Man to fight. Yet there is enough presented to get viewers interested in the comics, where they can get the "full story." At least that's how it worked for me. The cartoons served as "Spider-Man Light," and the real material was in the comics. The cartoon basically served as a "commercial" for the comic book.

Today, the situation is different. A movie reaches a massive amount of people, and thus what is seen on the screen is accepted by the general civilian masses as the "definitive" version, and it is anything but. I think that this is at the crux of our complaints about unnecessary changes to the material to suit filmmaker ego or to present an "updated" version to a new audience.

Where is the audience going to find the "true" version? And if they find it, will they understand that the film was made with the idea that they were too stupid to get it the way it was originally?

This is the reason I hate the concept of "Ultimates" and such. The original works fine and is the best. Some may need "light" as an intro, but we don't need 3 or 4 versions of the same character, especially in the same medium.

Just my opinion, of course.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andy Hardy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm not going to jump on either side of this argument, but after reading the last two posts, I happened to look over behind my printer, and I noticed the Hobgoblin action figure I bought for, uh, my son a couple of days ago. I haven't opened the package yet (but I will, and my son and I will play with it together, as we usually do), but I noticed a subscription card at the bottom. I just opened it up, and it's a subscription card to Marvel Adventures Spider-Man.

Take that for what you will.

Andy Hardy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 9  

Pete Carrubba wrote:
....Where is the audience going to find the "true" version?....

For the people in my town, the question is where is the audience going to find ANY version.

Last week at Wal-Mart (the same day I bought the Hobgoblin action figure), I saw a Marvel Adventures Spider-Man comic book, and I believe this is the first "new" comic book I've seen there (not counting those ten-year-old comics bundled together for one low price). You know where else in my town there is to get a comic book? Nowhere.

In my section of the universe, I believe that's the number-one problem.

Darragh Greene
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 10  

Marvel Adventures Spider-Man is according to Marvel its biggest
subscription comic; and PAD's just revealed he's going to be taking over
the writing on it soon (as well as Ultimate Spider-Man).

Edited by Darragh Greene on 19 June 2006 at 4:58pm

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

Wait....what??

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

While others fell into preferring to ocasionally descend to sophomoric anecdotes when incapable to reason by arguments, you never did. Not too shabby, when a fresh user displays more maturity and intelectual integrity than people who've been here for thousands of posts.

Now, if you permit me, a slight advice: Just slam a door into yer finger knuckles, it will cause the same effects as discussing with some of these people, whilst saving you a good deal of time to do more productive things, hopefully, among more productive people.

Thanks.  I appreciate it.  But you know, there's always a point to entertaining and respectful discourse.  I just can't think of what that is right now.

Part of the problem. There should be one Spider-Man, he should be broadly consistent with the film (and the film should be broadly consistent with the comic, as Spider-Man, pace JB, was, and X3 wasn't), and he should be sold bloody everywhere each time another in the film series comes out. What's it cost to see a film in the US? $10? There should have been a cheap, floppy $10 Spider-Man collection on a stand in every cinema foyer in the country while the film was showing. Marketing 101.

All great ideas.  Why not write M***** and give them your suggestions.  I still think it's because I called and raved about Ess ToD Vol 1 is why they went and did Vol 2 and 3 so quickly.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version