Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: The problem with fans and Spider-Man, in a nutshell (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 1  

If it could be done, I'd be absolutely fine with it.  I've had ideas about it myself.  The way I'd do it is to make the iconic version (fairly young, single, real world problems, colorful rogues gallery) an all-ages comic in the standard (22 page) format.  You can have multiple titles if you want so that you get to see different creators take on the book, but they're all that character and have a certain degree of consistency.  Different versions (older and married or SM Loves MJ) would be done either in trades or as limited series (even series of limited series would be fine) in a prestige format or something like that.  Different trade dress as well.  These would be clearly (and consistently-there's that word again) rated for the appropriate age group.

And I don't think Marvel does that now.  Many people, even longtime comic readers, are still under the impression that Marvel Adventures Spider-Man is retelling/updating Lee and Ditko stories, unaware that it was Marvel Age Spider-Man that did that, and that MAdvSM is the latest "All Ages" Spider-Man book.  When there's confusion among people who are regular comic readers, there's little hope that the casual reader could figure it out.  Not to mention (though I already did) that Marvel is inconsistent with the age ratings on their books, rating one issue A, then the next T+ or somesuch, apparantly meaning that if an 10 year old had been buying the book he should skip that particular issue and hopefully come back when it's rated A again.
Back to Top profile | search

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 2  

The point is, Dennis, it shouldn't be necessary.

Why?  This statement implies theres some moral, ethical or some sort of superiority of a character line with ONE version rather than with multiple iterations aimed ostensibly at different age groups.  I don't see it.

And I don't think Marvel does that now. 

That's your opinion and you are absolutely entitled to it.  However, I simply do not see this as a major issue when there is a far greater issue of getting more readers of all ages to comics, period.  People are not staying away from comics because they are confused by multiple versions of the same character.  By yoru own argument, Joe No-Comic-Reader isn't even aware of these differences.

While this is a lively and interesting debate and I greatly enjoy talking to you about it, this is a non-issue in terms of it's affect on readership and quality and for better or worse, the fact that the Spider-man in comics right now feels different than the one you and I grew up with.

Edited by Dennis Calero on 18 June 2006 at 9:05pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

As you're often wont to say, that's your opinion, Dennis.  An opinion that I don't share. For me, it's why I've been engaging in this debate from the start.

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

An opinion that I don't share.

I've expressed several obnoxious opinions.  Which one are you referring to? 

Here is the opinion as stated in my last post:

"However, I simply do not see this as a major issue when there is a far greater issue of getting more readers of all ages to comics, period.  People are not staying away from comics because they are confused by multiple versions of the same character. "

What is it about that exactly that you disagree with.  Is getting new readers not a greater issue than whether Spider-Man has a secret identity or not?  Or are you claiming that somehow thousands of new readers are just busting down the doors of their local comic shops, grabbing spiderman and going "hey, what gives?" when they see three different titles and running away?

And there's too many Matts.  From now on, Matt Linton is now to be known as Matt Fred.

Wait a minute...

Edited by Dennis Calero on 18 June 2006 at 9:19pm

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

Damn, dude, 69 posts in one day?  Looks like Rob Hewitt's old record is gonna be kitty litter before too long...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

Well, my name on my birth certificate is just "Matt" so I usually claim it, but Reed's been here longer than I have, so I'll settle for Matt2 or MattAlso  : )

I don't think content is even close to the main issue.   It's distribution, pricing/format, and marketing, then content.  But there's little point in drawing new readers in if they're just going to leave in droves once they realize how difficult it is if they just want to read a Spider-Man comic.

Just my opinion.  : )

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

I see everything as connected, Dennis.  Market the product the best way you can and I still don't see how the original core character is done a service by being a near-30 year old teacher, married to a hot former supermodel/aspiring actress, living with his aunt in Avengers Tower and now unmasking before a national audience.  You can debate with me until the cows come home that these things don't matter, or don't matter as much as marketing, but I neither see that nor buy it.  Getting new readers is one thing, a great thing, but changing a formerly all-ages character into something wholly unrecognizable and then saying, well, there's other titles out there to discover that character (by the way, in name only) if you don't like ASM and, oh, by the way, we've just created yet another version if you don't like the four already being offered, is something that doesn't sit well with me.  Make the change in new titles, keeping (as I've said throughout this debate) internal consistency (ie. a young Peter Parker in one title is the same character, only in college, that we see in another), and that's cool, but I don't get making the change for changes sake all in order to keep a dwindling aging and vocal fan base.

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Damn, dude, 69 posts in one day?  Looks like Rob Hewitt's old record is gonna be kitty litter before too long..."

What's the record, I'm a dork and on vacation so let er rip!!!!!

"But there's little point in drawing new readers in if they're just going to leave in droves once they realize how difficult it is if they just want to read a Spider-Man comic."

Well, it that a problem?  You feel it is, we may have to agree to disagree.

However, I do believe I have ably and sexily smashed any notion that IN PRINCIPLE a character MUST stay consistent to be marketable.

Even if I didn't, I was still sexy.

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

Market the product the best way you can and I still don't see how the original core character is done a service by being a near-30 year old teacher, married to a hot former supermodel/aspiring actress, living with his aunt in Avengers Tower and now unmasking before a national audience.

Maybe someone will like that.  Maybe we need to market to 30 year olds who wish they were teachers and married to supermodels.  I'm halfway there!

Seriously, though, how much of that do you think is pemenent?  Besides, people were howling when I was 16 and Mary Jane admitted she knew Peter's secret.  I like it.  So what're you gonna do?

but I don't get making the change for changes sake all in order to keep a dwindling aging and vocal fan base.

I'm not claiming I believe this is what's happening, but if it were, sure, that wouldn't be the best thing.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

Dennis Carero wrote:
Seriously, though, how much of that do you think is pemenent?

Don't know.  Get back to me when the supposedly "temporary" story of the Spider-totem isn't affecting Peter (five years and counting) or the marriage is done (16 years and counting) or his Aunt May doesn't know his secret (five years and counting) or he isn't living in Avengers Tower (two years and counting).  Sorry if I find the "it's just temporary" argument a little specious at best.

Rance Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 11  

Dennis Calero, you are my new hero. You have managed to voice my opinion far better than I have ever been able to do myself, and managed to keep things more or less civil here on a forum where you are far outnumbered by people who don't share your viewpoint. Just so ya know, you have at least one other person who shares your views on this particular subject, to the letter. Well done.

Elliot Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 12  

On this message board, the argument has been made over and over, that Spider-Man would sell better if he hadn't been aged and married (because readers could relate to him more).  First of all, if that were true, wouldn't Ultimate Spider-Man be the best selling Spider-Man title?  Is it?  Second of all, I don't know the age of everyone here, but it seems to skew a little older than "teenager."   Heck, it seems to skew a little older than Pete's current mid-to-late 20s age.   So I don't understand why so many of you complain about not being able to relate to him.  I'm 35, and even without a super-model spouse, I still relate to him.  And I like the fact that he's aged and changed. It adds a level or realism that makes his adventures a little more compelling than say, the adventures of Bugs Bunny!   Anyway, I stopped reading "Spider-Man" a couple years ago, not because of his age or marriage, but because he's being handled by the worst comic book writers and editors ever!  Instead of bashing Mary Jane, we should be bashing the real albatros around Spider-Man's neck....J. Michael Straczynski.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version