Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: The problem with fans and Spider-Man, in a nutshell (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

Not the same character at all, except in name only.

Was the Stern or Defalco ASM the same as Ditko's?  Im not being snarky here, really, help to understand how they were less different than Ditko's and this one particular writer.

Don't be obtuse, David.  Baby Bugs is the same as Original Bugs, only he's younger. 

First of all, don't call me David...or Shirley.  But seriously, this is a stupid example since the original Bugs and the original Mickey Mouse have vry different looks than their current "classic" versions.  You need to let this analogy go...for all our sakes.

Ah, the ages old "change the debate" tactic.  Didn't say that, imply that, or even touch on that, but good on ya for trying to switch gears to get away from the original debate.

Ah, the ages old "argue about the method of argument, not the subject."  In point of fact, I directly dealt with your point and only added that as an ADDED point.

Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse my parents were watching in 1950 are the same as they are today, a few slight cosmetic alterations aside.

Wrong wrong, wrong and wrong.  Bug, Daffy, Mickey, Goofy and a slough of other characters have not only gone through "slight" cosmetic changes, they are...

a) far more visually different from the first incarnations that Ditko's Spiderman and the current Spiderman, period.

b) sound different

c) have distinctly different attitudes (especially Daffy).

These cartoon characters that for some unfathomable reason you'de decided to hold up as avatars of the eternal unchanging fictional icon are in fact characters that are constantly in flux, constantly evolving and, yes, constantly staying the same. 

Edited by Dennis Calero on 18 June 2006 at 7:21pm
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 2  

Dennis, the 50s Daffy and the current Daffy are the same. That's 56 years and counting. You can argue, correctly, that Daffy from the 30s is different from Daffy of the 40s and beyond, but he did settle into the character the majority know by 1950.  That character isn't any different in any major way from what we saw in SPACE JAM (1996) starring Michael Jordan. These characters changed a lot in their first decade, but settled into the characters they are today, with slight alterations in physical appearance, by the 50s.  They sound different only insomuch as Mel Blanc is dead and his son has taken on many of the voices.  His son, BTW, is trying to emulate what his father did as best as he can in much the same way the person who is now voicing Kermit the Frog is trying to emulate Jim Henson. To say a change in voice actor is akin to a change is character is patently absurd.

As to debating the subject, I have been debating the actual subject with you for the better part of an hour.  It's not I who decided to "add" something, making it appear as though it's something I had alluded to or implied.  Hell, it's not even a natural extension of what I've been writing about, only a little quippy pot shot.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

The most obvious point of confusion for outsiders about Ultimate Spider-Man, Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, and the three main Spider-Man books is that they aren't the same character. 

You have one version of Spider-Man in Amazing/Sensational/FNSM/New Avengers/Civil War/Civil War Frontline (mid to late twenties, married, public identity, lives in Avengers Tower, Aunt May has known who he is for a while now, school teacher),

a different version in Ultimate (goes to high school with MJ and Harry, lives in a world where he's an illegal genetic mutation subject to SHIELD authority whenever they choose to invoke it, dating Kitty Pryde, fifteen years old, webperson for the Daily Bugle),

a third version in Marvel Adventures (basically a younger version of the one in the Marvel Universe, only with a new continuity and in a modern setting)

and a fourth version in Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane (goes to school with MJ, but it's not the same version as USM or Marvel Adv., the character relationships are unique to that book)

It'd be one thing if we were talking about a Superboy scenario where there's an older Spider-Man and a younger version of him in the same continuity.  But basically if you have to use the word continuity to explain the differences between Spider-Man books, that's potentially a problem for new readers.

Take this scenario.  Kyle's twelve and he just saw the new Spider-Man movie.  He finds out there's a comic book version so he tells his mom he wants some Spider-Man comics for his birthday.  She goes to the nearest comic book store, and for the sake of argument we'll assume it's well organized, well lit, clean, and with helpful staff.  She walks up to the counter and asks the nice young gentleman wearing a uniform of some sort identifying himself as an employee, and tells him her son wants some Spider-Man comics for his birthday.  What then follows is, at best, a ten minute conversation/monologue explaining the various versions of Spider-Man, the distinctions between single issues and trades, whether or not to get self-contained stories or longer arcs, which one's are appropriate for someone his age, and determining which "niche" he fits into (probably not SM Loves MJ because it's "girly"). 

I don't mean to be snarky, but you do see where that would be a problem, right?  And that's the ideal scenario.

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
not to mention what I consider to be the first big change in his character/description; aging him out of a school setting entirely: Amazing Spider-Man 185

Marv Wolfman, writer of the issue in question, talked about this in Comics Creators on Spider-Man. The decision to make Peter older and graduate college had come from above. Wolfman felt that they should just forget how old Peter actually was, and planned to put him in graduate school and leave him there forever.

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

Of course Matt, I can see this, but if there is a problem, lil Kyle is being doen a disservice in the sense that he's not being told by good advertising and marketing which book is for him.  I mean, the argument that since having different versions of the character is difficult to market, then we should just have one version just doesn't hold water. 

Allow me to make this point too, if you will.  And by the way, I'm just having fun, no offense is meant to anyone!

Original bugs:         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;         & nbsp;       New Bugs:

original spidey:          ;           ;           ;         new spidey:

both interations are roughly the same time apart (current bugs has been relatively the same for about 20 yrs).

Which pair most resemble each other.  I'll check back.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

Looking forward to Spider-Boy beating down the walls of reality. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

Daffy Duck (1937) in Porky's Duck Hunt:

Daffy circa 1953 in Duck! Rabbit! Duck!

Big change, no?  Now here's Daffy post-1953:

Daffy in an episode of Duck Dodgers:

Recent Daffy:

Daffy advertising Sega:

Daffy circa 1980:

I could go on, but I think I've given enough examples of consistency of character for 56 years.  The Daffy from 1953 in the pic above looks the same as the Daffy in the 1980 VHS title, and the same as the recent stamp pic.  No change in over half a century.  Consistency of character which is not changed simply by having a different voice actor emulating, as best they can, the voice Mel Blanc originated in 1937, perfected in the 40s and then used until his death in 1989.

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

I could go on, but I think I've given enough examples of consistency of character for 56 years

Is that what you did?  Because from the first to the second picture, it seems you've already made the opposite argument.  Not to mention his attitude and relationship to the rest of the characters.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

Current Bugs has been the same for a lot longer than 20 years, Dennis.  He doesn't look much different at all from the pic I posted above with Daffy from 1953.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 10  

Dennis Calero wrote:
Is that what you did? Because from the first to the second picture, it seems you've already made the opposite argument.  Not to mention his attitude and relationship to the rest of the characters.

I don't mean to impugn your reading comprehension skills, Dennis, but it's exactly what I've done based on what I wrote:

I wrote:
Dennis, the 50s Daffy and the current Daffy are the same. That's 56 years and counting. You can argue, correctly, that Daffy from the 30s is different from Daffy of the 40s and beyond, but he did settle into the character the majority know by 1950. 

I showed the difference from the 1937 introduction of Daffy to the 1953 Daffy...and then showed that he hasn't changed since. No opposite argument at all.

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think its adorable you forgot these:

One was succesful, one wasn't, but the point is they tried.  Characters can evolve and alternatives can work.

Me wrote:
Dennis, the 50s Daffy and the current Daffy are the same. That's 56 years and counting. You can argue, correctly, that Daffy from the 30s is different from Daffy of the 40s and beyond, but he did settle into the character the majority know by 1950. 

Matt, you're trying to imply that somehow the change between the 30's and 40's somehow doesn't count and the rest proves your point that change isn't good.  You can't have it both ways.  You can't say, yes Daffy is different fronm here to here, but FROM HERE ON he's the same and thus I'm right.  That just doesn;t make sense.

Edited by Dennis Calero on 18 June 2006 at 8:01pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 12  

"Adorable"? More than a little condescending and patronizing.  Wow.  Remind me never to get into a debate with you, Dennis.

BTW, baby Daffy acts the same as adult Daffy of the last 50 odd years, only, you know, he's a baby.  Looks the same too, only younger.  Haven't seen the other in action or voice, so I can't comment, particularly since the pic you've chosen is pretty crappy.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version