Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: The problem with fans and Spider-Man, in a nutshell (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

Mig Da Silva wrote:
Does this somehow show us that we should use their model - of Spider-Man "aging" and "rebooting every decade" and thus being finite or repeatedly finite - on Amzing Spider-Man?

ARGGGGGGH!

NOT.

WHAT.

I.

SAID.

AT.

ALL.

You wrote that the market does not, will not, support finite series (bold mine):

Mig Da Silva wrote:
The market does not want superheroes that age, nor finite concepts. I'm not saying i agree with it. I just read the market.

That's patently untrue.  It has and does support them.  Again, I've never said that using an aging and rebooting model, nor making ASM a finite series, was the way to go.  You can't reply to what I'm posting when you're really addressing someone else.  Makes it totally confusing and doesn't help the discussion at all.

Back to Top profile | search

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

Again, John? :o)

QUOTE:
Matt (Reed), just bang your head against a brick wall. It's faster and you'll get the same headache.

Edited by John Mietus on 18 June 2006 at 11:44pm

Still all the courage to comment, none of the courage to read?

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
ARGGGGGGH!

NOT.

WHAT.

I.

SAID.

AT.

ALL.

Matt, i know you didn't. But Dennis Calero did, it was with him i was originally talking.

QUOTE:
You wrote that the market does not, will not, support finite series. That's patently untrue.

CrossGen is bankrupt. IDW and Dark Horse own how much percentage of the market?

So, are these paradigms in any way usable by M*****? Namely to fix a character like Spider-Man? I claimed no.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

And that's not the discussion we're having, Mig.  At all.  In any universe.  Dennis and I have only ever been pointing out that you're wrong with regard to the downfall of CrossGen, not that Marvel or DC should be assuming their business/creative model.  Somewhere along the line, you've grafted that idea into your argument without anyone ever suggesting it.

QUOTE:
CrossGen is bankrupt. IDW and Dark Horse own how much percentage of the market?

And finite series in TPB from Vertigo regularly outsell superhero titles in TPB, so much so that titles like SANDMAN and PREACHER have never gone out-of-print.  Your point?  If you friggin' bring up Marvel and DC superheroes proper following that model, I swear that there will be a small corner of Hollywood that will implode. That's not the discussion.  It's your contention that there isn't a market for finite series.  You're wrong.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

Seriously, Matt -- just slam your fingers in a door or something. Same
result, less effort.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

Yeah, good idea, JM.

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 7  

"Was there much change over the course of the New Universe or Valiant?  Either way (and I honestly am curious) in they may have worked creatively, but obviously not financially. "

Valiant did very well until something happened, what that was is a point of contention and I'm not getting into it, but everyone agrees "it" was an outside force and I think everyone involved would agree that if Valiant had been left to it's own devices, there might have been a big THREE now instead of two.

New Universe suffered from editorial problems right from the beginning, some of which I'm sure JB could enlighten us on if he felt it worth going into.

"What I do have a problem with is grafting that idea onto characters who were never created to "age" and "grow" in the first place all in an attempt to keep an aging fan base."

I kind of have a problem with this statement from both ends, so to speak.  One, Peter is not really aging all that fast compared to real time.  And did Stan Lee ever intend Pete to stay 16 forever?  I dunno, but I don't think so.

"I know, but Dennis was. At least that's what i understood with "why shouldn't Spider-Man age".

Either by accident or design, Mig, you are misrepresenting my point here.  I don't theoretically see a problem with ANY approach that generates sales.  I am against the sort of "one approach fits all" principal you're espousing, and the examples you're using to bolster your point are, frankly and with apolgies and respect, piss poor.

And in fact, harping on this issue as being the primary culprit in what is the "sad state of affairs" you thinking comics is in is in fact distracting us to the real issues of distrubution and competition form other media, issues that absolutely dwarf the relatively small problem we are discussing today.

If a child sees Spider-Man and wants that same level of story, he can buy the Marvel Age: Spider-Man title.  If the kid doesn't know the title is there, that is a failure of marketing, not product.

Again, my main point is that there is nothing inherently wrong with alternatiing lines of product (whether it's the Ultimates or Diet Coke) if they are marketed to reach the intended audience, and ideally positioned to deliver customers from one title to the next logical title.

The idea that Batman, Supes et all should not be made to fit any model of consumer, young or old, because of some internal principal, based on what you FEEL is right or wrong, is specious.  Where products are aimed at, how they are interprated or evolve should be based on the market.

Edited by Dennis Calero on 18 June 2006 at 5:10pm

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

Dennis, what I said to Matt applies to you, too -- slamming your head
against a brick wall will give you the same headache and takes less effort.

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 9  

John, one has to hope that logic will find a way, somehow, some way.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

For that to happen, he'd actually have to read what you were saying, rather
than just waiting for his turn to type.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 11  

Dennis, I think most of the contention comes from the fact that Spider-Man, Superman, etc began as all-ages characters aimed primarily at children.  Over the years that has shifted because less kids are reading, and the kids who were reading are now adults and suddenly want those superheroes to be adults too.  So in order to meet that demand Marvel and DC have fundamentally changed many of those characters so that they would primarily appeal to adults, an approach that by any reasonable standard is short-sighted at best.  One solution, the one I think you're advocating, is to come up with different versions of those characters to appeal to kids.  The problem is that wouldn't be necessary if they hadn't been changed in the first place, and it adds another level of confusion for any potential new readers, or parents looking to buy their kid a Spider-Man comic.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

slamming your head
against a brick wall will give you the same headache
and takes less effort

And it feels so good when you stop.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version