Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: JB: Curt Swan, Post Crisis (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2006 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 1  

It's true on one level that all the blame belongs to the fans, just like it's true to say that all the blame for industrial pollution lies with the voters.  If we are willing to accept something, it is our fault.

But I don't believe that every decision to ignore older artists is based entirely on finances.  I think there is a perception on those in editorial offices that they need to make a splash, and to do so usually means trying something new. 

If Herb Trimpe or Curt Swan is known to sell x thousand copies of a book, but Joe Newbie comes in the door and asks for a shot, the editor may pick Joe Newbie on the the chance that he will sell 2x thousand copies of a book.  If he only sells x thousand, he's no worse off, and if he sells less, he just replaces Joe Newbie with Jane Rookie and tries again.

I attribute this to things like editorial positions no longer being long-term jobs.  an editor needs to make himself invaluable right away, and doesn't get a chance to stick it out for a long time.  Gone are the days when Julie Schwartz could have most of his titles cancelled out from under him in the late 40's but have them replaced with new books allowing him to hold on to his job long enough to usher in the Silver Age.

So, if something doesn't sell, it is, in a sense the fan's fault for not buying it.  But is it the fan's fault that the publishers don't have a longer term mentality?   Heck, with a longer-term attitude from publishers and editors, we might still have Hidden Years or Lab Rats.

Back to Top profile | search

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2006 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

Chad, I understand what you are saying about respect.  But I think you hit the nail about writers/artists not wanting to work for the current regimes.  I'm sure many would love to work on the big toys again, but let's face it, it ain't what it used to be.  It has been mentioned by professionals that Ditko is very resistant to going back to the mainstream.  I put the blame on editorial direction there. 

The point I was making and where my interest lies is in seeing my favorites working.  Even if they are doing creator-owned properties or third-tier big two comics.  I will admit that it broke my heart to read Swan's obituary mention M.A.S.K. at all when the man was synonomous with Superman for over twenty years.  And some obits emphasized the later non-Superman work of all things. Or when Gil Kane made a convention appearance promoted as artist on Jurassic Park (his current work at the time) without even mentioning Green Lantern.  I realize that the convention promoter was trying to identify him to newer readers, but it still seems wrong to me to not mention what the man was best known for.

My conflict in the whole situation lies when an artist I appreciate is working on something that I wouldn't want to read.  And that knocks me into one of the two camps I mentioned in my other post.  For instance, I wouldn't want to see JB draw anything Meltzer wrote, Theodore.  I don't like the way the man handles the characters and I think it disrespects them greatly to do what he has done.  Identity Crisis being my example, here.  No offense, but when I read your remark about making his JLA "shine", the first thing that came to mind was the old line about polishing a turd.  If you like Meltzer, that's fine.  I don't think the characters, the fans or JB would be best served by a combination like that, though. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2006 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

Then let me explain, Wes.  I used Meltzer's JLA as an example because he is going to write the new JLA series.  Period.  The comment was not meant to suggest that I would choose Meltzer to write the monthly JLA title.  I would prefer to see JB do it himself and look forward to Stern and Byrne on JLA Classified more so than Meltzer on JLA.  That said, I am looking forward to Meltzer's JLA as the title has been less that entertaining for me for some time now, and I did enjoy his Green Arrow arc a while back.

Furthermore, I appreciate your conflict, but for the record my appreciation of John Byrne and his work places my position above such conflicts.  I will buy the All-New Atom for two reasons, even though I am not interested in the new character.  One, I am sure I will enjoy it while JB draws it (I also like Trevor's inks over JB's pencils).  Two, I am "voting" with dollars spent for more John Byrne comics.  As soon as he leaves the title, I will be gone, as I will not continue to "vote" for another Atom besides Ray Palmer.  I also understand that I might continue to enjoy the series if I were to stay with it, especially Gail's writing, however I will "vote" for what I want and let the market decide the outcomes.

You might wonder why then am I "voting" for John Byrne on the Atom if I would rather see him on another book.  This is a valid point, yet I feel that a vote for John Byrne Comics is more important than voting for Ray Palmer comics, especially with barely any JB comics to chose from.

I stopped reading Firestorm when it became apparent that Ronnie Raymond would not be back.  I loved Blue Beetle but will not support a series without Ted Kord.  This may seem stupid to some, and I understand that many fans enjoy these series.  That is fine, if the support is there then DC should produce these books for their fans.  If comics as a whole move away from all the characters I remember, then maybe it will be time for me to move on as well.  But I doubt it, for there will always be comics in my life as long as John Byrne keeps drawing them.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2006 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

And for the record, I do enjoy the work of many more artists and writers and have followed many of them regularly.  However there are only two whose work I buy in omnia.  They are JB and George Perez.  This short list used to include Gil Kane.  I buy much of Walt Simonson, Frank Miller, and John Romita Jr. but not all.  I did not buy JRJr's Image book, Uncle Walt's Elric, or (belive it or not) Sin City.  I also stopped buying All-Star Batman & Robin but only because I am waiting for the HC.

This too I wonder about.  Do HC & TPB sales hurt comics sales?  They do from my perspective.  With everyting being collected and reprinted, I buy very few monthly comics and many more HC/TPBs.  Am I alone in this?

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

Message received and understood, Theodore.  I vote with my wallet as well.  Usually in the form of not supporting the growing of roses that runs rampant these days.  But also with regard to content. 

There are artists that I have followed over the years through many a variety of comics and a while back I made a decision to be a little more particular about my spending .  Although I can still appreciate their artwork, I find it difficult to justify the expense sometimes if I'm not going to enjoy the story as well.  It works in reverse with writers I like that have stories published with art I don't dare for.  I find the cost of comics to be a major factor in this decision, as well. 

I love JB's work old and new, but there are some projects he's done that I found after trying them out that they just aren't my thing.  It doesn't mean they are bad, nor do I feel "disloyal".  Just a matter of personal taste, I guess. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think the fast turnaround on TPBs is what hurts. If you know a TPB is coming a month or so after a storyline is over with, you may as well wait for the trade. If it's two eyars down the line, well, you better get the books if you're interested in reading it sooner than later.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yes it is, Wes, and I understand your position too.  It is very similar to mine for so many creators.  However, for me, JB is now an exception, and that is not to say that I am any more of Byrne victim than you are.  It was not always this way.  There were times when I did not buy all of JBs work, however that was mostly due to financial issues back when there was always something of his to buy.  Take care!

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2006 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 8  

I agree, James.  However, it is usually the former and not the latter.

Kyle Sing
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2006 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

"I'll say it again: all the blame falls upon the fans. Those who run the shops, those who buy the product. Even setting aside the great glee they seem to have when they see one of the old guard topple -- the assaults on Kirby were vile beyond words -- if they will not support a talent like Curt Swan, the Companies -- who, after all, are businesses -- cannot be expected to publish work they know has no market."

************************************************************ ********************************

I understand what you are saying JB its just disheartening. Honestly, I find myself buying a few DC titles, no more Marvel, but a LOT of old silver age and bronze age comics. What great reads they are even if dog-eared!

You are right, that if we as fans don't demand it, we won't get it. But I will always demand my JB, Alan Davis, Mike Zeck, Steve Ditko, etc.

But I must ask JB.... what is a fan like me to do? Should I stop buying all of today's published works as a protest and just read and collect older stuff as I am doing more and more? What is the solution? Fighting for indirect markets and bringing back spinner racks? I don't want to just give in to the Haters even if they may have already won. It feels great to be a part of this community of the faithfully 50,000 but when we are so outnumbered by the Haters I feel at a loss of what to do to save my hobby.

Lastly, as a fan of comics that may have contributed, however unwittingly to the power of the Haters, I am truly, truly sorry for the shit that you and so many of the other greats have had to put up with.

Kyle

Rey Madrinan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2006 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 10  

"I agree with David. David was able to bring up his points intelligently, and John, you opt to get all smartass and cuss at him. Wow. "

JB might be being rather abrubt about it, but I think his points are far more substantiated. Marvel and DC follow the money, and that comes from the fans.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 11  

I think there is blame to go around.  Fans deserve blame for buying comics for reasons other than their quality (eg perceived future "value", peer pressure, trendiness/popularity of the creators).  These halfass rationales for purchasing are ultimately what makes work by veteran creators sell poorly.  But the publishers also deserve blame for pursuing a business model that leaves fans as the only audience, eliminating the casual readers who used to dominate the audience and could have cared less about who drew the book as long as the story was told clearly. 

I was just reading Roy Thomas' intro to one of those Dark Horse Conan books the other day.  He talked about how Stan had asked him what he thought would happen to the Conan the Barbarian comic after Barry Smith left.  Roy said he predicted "We'll win less awards and sell more comics" and that turned out to be exactly what happened.  In other words, the fans liked the book less but the casual readers liked it more, and so sales went way up.   Whereas nowadays, if you had a new title and the hot young artist left and was replaced by a skillful veteran, the book would probably wind up cancelled.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 16 June 2006 at 12:07am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 June 2006 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 12  

David was able to bring up his points intelligently...

By stating as fact things which are inaccurate and/or unsubstantiated?

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version