Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 32 Next >>
Topic: Miracleman/Marvel Man (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

As happens every 4 years the flag of St George is no longer considered rascist and is flying from most cars and houses,the reason? England are in the World Cup.Any other day it is seen by the P.C. brigade as a sign of racism! Can you imagine the U.S. not flying the Stars and Stripes ?  Mind you Radio 1 did have a ban on songs using the word England in case it offended the Scots and Welsh! They had no such rules when Scotland was in  previous World Cups and played their songs,not that we would be offended anyway!

Sorry,but i like most of Moore`s stuff,and when i saw the subway fight in the first Matrix movie i thought of Miracleman immediately.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Found these pages, yeah I'd say they are just a little dark and gloomy

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

It was the Thatcher years that pretty much destroyed the England of old.  The seperations between classes (or more acurately the seperation between the rich and poor) grew to unbelieveable extremes.  Everything became focused on monetary gain and consumerism.  Forget health care or education: make the working class aspire to owning a big tv and as many channels as possible.  They would no longer speak about the same shows, because everyone is watching something different on their own tv in their own little room.   Remove even that tiny piece of unity.

Care about others? show consideration? no, you might be arrested for it.

A friend of mine was in training to be a teacher.  What finally put her off was the day a little girl had a bad fall in the playground, and as it turned out, broke her arm.  Now, this little girl was in considerable pain, and was crying, and obviously needed a hug.  A perfectly understandable human reaction.

Except my friend was taught, that under no circumstances are you to touch a child, as it has legal ramifications.  The parents could sue you, basically.

I'm 42 years old this year, and this country has become so ugly in the last 20 years I can barely recognise it.

Neil Welch
Byrne Robotics Member
Troll

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

You haven't read WATCHMEN, and you're here entering a discussion on Alan Moore...

...apologies, i just passed out momentarily. Where am i again?

My word, didn't JB say he never finished Watchmen himself? It seems to me someone who's read Moore's other works can speak up if they want to!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
Of DC characters created around the same time as Savage, Batman probably comes closer to the model.

Very true. Whatever superficialities (no pun!) were used by Siegel/Shuster, it is the Batman who is most akin to Doc Savage.

QUOTE:
Dent, who wrote most of the adventures, described his hero as a cross between “Sherlock Holmes with his deducting ability, Tarzan of the Apes with his towering physique and muscular ability, Craig Kennedy with his scientific knowledge, and Abraham Lincoln with his Christliness.”

"Christliness"? OK, maybe not....

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

I won't defend Moore on the level that's being discussed. And I don't have any real sense of what Moore is other than the work I've read by him. The philosophies behind good comics writing as opposed to telling a pretty intense story with typical Moore nihilism is two different things. Moore is who he is as a writer. He's interested mostly in literalizing the superhero in order to intensify the impact of the story. So you only know Superman as the Big Blue Boy Scout? Well, in Moore's eyes there cannot just be that assignation. He wants to come to a full understanding intellectually and he works his plots against what the character is supposed to do to become "real" in Moore's mind.

You can blame the industry for allowing Moore to deconstruct Charlton and Doc Savage and Swamp Thing, and the prevading impact of Moore's passions have taken over, for the worst. But really, when was the last time Moore worked on Spider-Man or the Hulk or FF or Batman or Wolverine? I don't think either of the two bigs would really want Moore to deconstruct their prime money properties. Moore did Superman work, but very little, and I don't know if his lack of exposure to the larger properties is purposeful on his part of the companies. The whole Marvelman thing is beyond me since I didn't grow up knowing the character. I only know Miracleman had some profound effect on me when I was younger, with that whole "reality" line shaking me a little. I think Moore is particularly fascinated by how frightening Superman would be as pure evil. Or how Charlton heroes would work against an alternate history of the US. What's the problem with these stories other than that they deal in characters that not many had an interest in before he took them over (Batman and Superman blips aside), and then afterward (decades later) people proclaiming he sullied those characters.

Most writing is split into two camps. There's literary writing that's character focused and usually more internalized. Think John Updike or films like THE MACHINIST. Then there's plot driven stories that use technique and formula. Think Richard Stark and films like the original ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13. Alan Moore is a literary writer writing comics. Whether he's a pompous prick who has no interest in preserving comics (plot) histories is immaterial. The companies who hire him know what they are getting, just as they know John Byrne produces generally compelling, plot-based comics designed around the history and form of the medium. Moore doesn't write comics, and Byrne doesn't write literary essays on what it is to be connected to all the plants on Earth. And yet I can still dig both of these approaches, at least until they hire Moore to write FF and he delves into the microscopic flora living in the spaces between Ben Grimm's "rocks".  Wait, they hired the knock-off, Morrison, to do something like that.

Jay Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 7  

Robert Last wrote:
It was the Thatcher years that pretty much destroyed the England of old.

Can't get it turned around since then, huh?  Then maybe you're wrong in the first place about Thatcherism.

Robert Last wrote:
They would no longer speak about the same shows, because everyone is watching something different on their own tv in their own little room.   Remove even that tiny piece of unity.

Oh gawd.  It's almost refreshing to see a collectivist try to criticize the increase of free choice as the stealing of unity.  Did you type that with a straight face?

Robert Last wrote:
Except my friend was taught, that under no circumstances are you to touch a child, as it has legal ramifications.  The parents could sue you, basically.

And you think that is a mark of conservatism?  Wake up, man, that stuff is the identity/victim politics of the left.

I need to lie down.

Edited by Jay Matthews on 09 June 2006 at 7:03pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 2:43am | IP Logged | 8  

My word, didn't JB say he never finished Watchmen
himself?

No, I said I gave up on it after the fifth issue. Of
course I read the whole thing, just had no hope it
would be something by which I would actually be
entertained, once I got to issue 5.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 2:49am | IP Logged | 9  

"Yet, as seen so many times before, this is Moore doing "nostalgia" with things about which he clearly does not feel nostalgic"

I remeber catching this feeling with him in "Whatever happened to the man of tommrow?" when it said "This is an imaginary story, aren't they all?"

The worst thing about that line is that it became an instant mantra of the fanboys who live only to show how kewl and filled with ennui they are. I cannot count the number of times I have heard or read it since. Aren't they "all" imaginary stories? The first time you think that, it's time to find a new hobby.

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 10  

I remeber catching this feeling with him in "Whatever happened to the man of tommrow?" when it said "This is an imaginary story, aren't they all?"

But I don't think think that Moore was being disrespectful to the genre with that line. In "Whatever happend to the Man of Tomorrow" he'd given Superman a happy ending, of sorts, and he was saying that, Ok, this story isn't part of mainstream DC continuity (or at least it won't be for much longer) - but in it's way it is as valid as any that were to come.

I agree that used by anyone outside the context of that particular story the line does seem to say "I don't take this seriously". But in context, within that particular story, it worked. For me.

Edited by Paul Lloyd on 10 June 2006 at 4:41am

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 11  

Jay, in my view it was the Thatcher years where the decay began.  Both right and left have had a negative impact since then.  I identify that point, the late 70's/early 80's as the time when the politics in England became more about show than any actual belief.  To be honest, I think both sides spout whatever utter bollocks they have to to get in.  It has nothing to do with actual politics anymore, and people know it.  They vote for whoever takes the least amount of their money.  It's very hard to be anything but cynical about British politics.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 June 2006 at 4:58am | IP Logged | 12  

I don't think think that Moore was being disrespectful to the genre with that line. In "Whatever happend to the Man of Tomorrow" he'd given Superman a happy ending, of sorts, and he was saying that, Ok, this story isn't part of mainstream DC continuity (or at least it won't be for much longer) - but in it's way it is as valid as any that were to come.

Seems to me that a story what has to declare its own validity is automatically invalid.

Beside the point, in any case. I have heard as many justifications of that line -- including from higher ups at DC -- as there have been people who offered them. I border on being convinced that Moore could say "Superhero comics are utter shit and anyone who reads them is brain dead," and there would be people lining up to put a positive spin on it.

<< Prev Page of 32 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version