Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 32 Next >>
Topic: Miracleman/Marvel Man (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

Opps meant to say ETERNALS, can't wait till the day Marvel as I knew it, comes back.

Edited by Kevin Pierce on 19 June 2006 at 10:18pm
Back to Top profile | search

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 2  

I know that it what was a typo, Kevin, but you summed it up for me pretty well.  Ex-ternals, indeed. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Horwitz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

on a sad, sad note, the new eternals mini apparently ties into civil war.
jrjr....i love him....civil war.....i love him not....
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

I don't usually buy comics for the art (and in this case it's by Neil Gaimen, so I'd be buying it anyway) but I'll gladly buy any comic that looks this good:

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

I hate to see Neil screw up yet another Marvel title, now I am not familiar with the Marvelman/Miracleman so it' s hard for me to comment on what he did to the Marvelman character good or bad

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2006 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 6  

Neil's Miracleman wasn't Alan's, but then, he didn't get to finish it, so it's hard to say what it might have become.

IMP.

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2006 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 7  

Wish that LawSuit would clear up I'd like to read the trade to see what everyone is talking about.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2006 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 8  

Neil Gaimen's only written one comic for Marvel and that was the 1602 miniseries, which was out of continuity (set, in fact in 1602), so I'm not sure where the idea that he's screwed up ANY Marvel titles comes from.

If you're referring to Marvelman/Miracleman, that's not a Marvel comic, and Neil, from what I understand, simply continued from Alan Moore's run.

Deepak Ramani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2006 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 9  

Kevin Pierce wrote:
I hate to see Neil screw up yet another Marvel title, now I am not familiar with the Marvelman/Miracleman so it' s hard for me to comment on what he did to the Marvelman character good or bad

What other Marvel title did Neil screw up?

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 2:28am | IP Logged | 10  

A certain type of change.

Well there's the rub.Was Moores change negative or positive. You say neative. I saw positive. Besides the history of comics is an history of change and even if Moore hadn't written what he wrote the comics of now wouldn't be anything like theose of 30 years ago.

We're never going to agree on this are we? But I think Moore wrote some great stories and added new shade to the genre.

And don't mistake my Prometheus analogy as an'acknowledgement' of anything other than your point of view. Which you're welcome too. But like so many others on the net I'm glad it's not mine.

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 2:49am | IP Logged | 11  

I don't usually buy comics for the art (and in this case it's by Neil Gaimen, so I'd be buying it anyway) but I'll gladly buy any comic that looks this good:

I have a thought about this: back when I was a comic devouring kid, there was a British strip called The Trigan Empire.  The illustration in there was, I think, painted - whatever the case it was beatifully rendered work.  And it left me - a ten year old comics fan - absolutely cold.  Because it looked impossible.  Part of the appeal of comics to me as a child was that I could do them too.  When I read the books I would dream of a time when I could emulate the artists - and it only seemed a matter of practice.  After all I could do line drawings with shading - I just couldn't do them as well as the artists I admired.  I admired their skill because it was, or seemed, within reach.  Modern comics - those I have seen anyway - with their computer generated colours and painstakingly produced artwork have lost that, I think.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 12  

Hmmm.  I can see your point, Ian, and I certainly felt that way for a while (hence my early love of Liefeld).  Maybe it's just because I'm an aspiring artist, but "I wish I could draw like that" overtook "I could do that" a while ago.  As for CG colors and such, check out the Coloring JB thread and play around with Photoshop or GIMP for a while.  I'm actually amazed at how (relatively) easy some of that stuff is (and I suck at it).

<< Prev Page of 32 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version