Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 32 Next >>
Topic: Miracleman/Marvel Man (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

Emery, have you heard about my "slamming your head against a brick wall"
idea?
Back to Top profile | search

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

John,

All the brick walls in my house were pounded down to dust ages ago. Indeed my forehead is now listed amongst the significant forces of natural erosion operating on the rocks and rigid terrain of central Texas. I listed well below, wind, rain, gravity,and beer but I do rate.

Thanks anyway though.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

Has there ever been a succesful ANYTHING that hasn't spawned a legion of worse imitations?  Does that mean the original is bad?

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

Well to put it bluntly I've been arguing that what Moore did to MarvelMan was pretty bad as well as what he did to Swampthing.

So while bad imitators don't automaticallty mean that the original has to have been bad but in this case yeah I consider the "original" deconstructive events  to be a bad thing that lead to even more bad things. Again I see that there were some other factors that turned what would have been a minor mess into a  rather huge one. It's till overall a bad thing though.

Do you not see the reasoning for why I consider it bad throughout this thread? Have I ever said that just the state of haveing imitators automatically makes something bad? Haven't I already made my point clearly enough without it being constantly morphed into all kinds of other things(usually straw men)?

I'm not arguing against change. I'm arguing against a certain species of it. A careless and destructive subset of it.

Edited by Emery Calame on 18 June 2006 at 7:05pm

Floyd Kermode
Byrne Robotics Member
Worked Really Hard to Get Banned

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 4:59am | IP Logged | 5  

"Why is that the traditional litmus test? The implication seems to be that it must be the guys who created the character {who got it right}, but I can't for the life of me see why that should be so.

Make a list -- even a short list -- in your head. Think of as many characters as you can whose creators you know. How many of those needed to be "fixed" by later writers? Of the top of my own head, the only one I can think of who was vastly improved was Bullseye, with what Frank did with him. He started out as basically a lame FLASH-style gimmick villain. Frank turned him into a real threat.

About how many other characters can we say the same?"

Is the implication here that if the original characters aren't lame changing them would make the changed version not worth reading?
    I don't care wether the original character needed to be fixed or not, so the number of original characters who need fixing, with or without the quote marks, is beside the point.  Sometimes they need fixing, sometimes they've been going on so long that the old stuff just isn't working any more.  Sometimes the new person just wants to do what they want to do.Somebody said that the brief for Swamp Thing was "this thing is dying in the arse; for God's sake do something different with it".
     What I'd said was that I couldn't see why fidelity to the original version of a character should be a litmus test for wether the new version was good or not.  I have nothing against the original Swamp Thing stories, nor against the Swamp Thing being a bloke who'd turned into this thing who wanted to change back and did the odd bit of good.  To me, that doesn't matter in my assessment of why the Moore stories are genius.
 So I still can't see the point of the 'litmus test' originally described.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 6  

Actually the real point seems to be that if someone tries something new and it doesn't work, the reason is because you should NEVER try anything new.

And, as usual, the word "actually" is immediately followed by the expression of an opinion, and not something "actual" at all.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 7  

So I still can't see the point of the 'litmus test' originally described.

Of course you can't. You simply don't want to.

Floyd Kermode
Byrne Robotics Member
Worked Really Hard to Get Banned

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 8  

"So I still can't see the point of the 'litmus test' originally described.

Of course you can't. You simply don't want to."

I would like to, but it's been described in somewhat circular terms.  If there's more to it than the innate worthwhileness of being faithful to a rather arbitrary idea of a core concept, do let me know.

yours civilly,

Floyd

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 9  

Circular argument? Is referring to an aesthetic or an intrinsic good a circular argument now?

Why do you want to taste Coke everytime you open a bottle marked Coke and not pinapple soda or iced tea?

Why do we maintain brand names? Why do we keep this suff seperate? Why do people tend tho say that Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome is not like the other Mad Max movies? Why did they say that Roland and Emmerich's Godzilla is a poor batsardization of the Toho's Godzilla? I mean don't they all just blend into a meanignless subjectively experienced gradient of relativistic preference?

When we buy a Spider-man comic we want to read about spider-man not some odd new thing loosely portrayed as being spider-man. We can detect the substitute. Same with Swampthing. If Moore's ideas were so good then why were they ever tacked onto swamp thing in the first place? Why not create a new character called Son of the Earth/Swamp or GreenWalker or something?

It's like having a wasp larva hatch from a paralayzed spider and claiming that the parasitized creature has somehow magically become the wasp. Why does plant-god Swamp Thing have to devour damaged scientist Swamp Thing to emerge into the world? Why couldn't we just have a NEW Swamp Thing appear and shake hands with Alec who says he'll head back to the Swamp and work on his cure?

What is the good that justifies having the old SwampThing melt into this new powered up unkillable plant Swamp Thing with an "everything you know is a lie" insertion technique?(Other than it doesn't seem to bother YOU personally?)

Edited by Emery Calame on 19 June 2006 at 9:10am

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

So what do you suppose the fate of Miracleman/Marvelman? With Neil Gaiman & Todd McFarlane fighting over the character, wonder if we have to wait for them to grow old and die before he comes back to comics.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

I thought Macfarlane lost that one in court?

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 12  

Last I heard Joey Q was funding Neil in court but it was still undetermined, I know Neil is doing the new Externals book

Edited by Kevin Pierce on 19 June 2006 at 9:06pm

<< Prev Page of 32 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version