Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 32 Next >>
Topic: Miracleman/Marvel Man (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 1  

To be honest, Floyd, I never thought Alan Moore improved much on what Len Wein and Berni Wrightson created in the first place.

Moore's take on Swamp Thing raises some interesting questions, once again invoking that alternate reality in which the InterNet existed in full vigor back then. Would we have the demi-god Alan Moore amongst us, I wonder, if his "everything you know is a lie" approach to SWAMP THING had been foist on the same kind of net-dwelling audience we have today? What?? He says Swamp Thing is really some kind of worm??.

At the time there were protests -- especially from people who pointed out Moore's version of Swamp Thing's origin was contradicted by what we had seen in the Wein/Wrightson run -- but DC applied the age old rule of simply not printing those letters. What if that had not been an option?

Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 2  

I remember when I originally read Swamp Thing # 21 and got the "revised" version of the origin, I just thought it was a really kick in the head as it destroyed the basic storyline and premise of the series, and allowed Alan Moore to take it where he wanted.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 3  

I remember hearing about it second hand from an outraged friend of mine
and the way he described it I thought it sounded terrible. Wasn't until about
a year or so later until I actually read the thing. While I loved some of those
stories back then (the monkey king story gave me nightmares as a 23-year-
old), I still haven't made up my mind whether I like the idea or not.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 4  

I still haven't made up my mind whether I like the idea or not.

Comes down to the traditional litmus test -- who got Swamp Thing's origin right, Alan Moore, or the guys who created the character?

(And before anyone jumps in to point out that Len approved the changes, let's keep in mind that, with such a volume of work behind him, it's entirely possible Len did not remember the issue of SWAMP THING that Moore's deconstruction contradicted.)

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 5  

Len's Swamp Thing was very entertaining, Alan Moore's version really didn't appeal to me.

Jon Godson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 6  

And before anyone jumps in to point out that Len approved the changes,
let's keep in mind that, with such a volume of work behind him, it's entirely
possible Len did not remember the issue of SWAMP THING that Moore's
deconstruction contradicted.

I would find it very hard to believe that Len Wein - who was Alan Moore's
editor on Swamp Thing when Moore changed Swamp Things origin -
aggreed to the changes because he could not remember his own origin
story.

Jon Godson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 7  

Len Wein on Alan Moore and Swamp Thing

Len Wein:

"I can’t count the number of people who’ve come up to me over the years to
ask me what I thought of what Alan Moore did to Swamp Thing while he was
writing the book. What most of them fail to realize is that I was the editor
who hired Alan to write the title and watched over him while he worked. If
there was ever anything I disagreed with, I wouldn’t have allowed Alan to do
it. But Alan looked at Swamp Thing with a new eye, saw things I’d never
imagined while I was writing the book, and took the title to new heights as a
result. That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about."

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 8  

it's entirely possible Len did not remember the issue of SWAMP THING that Moore's deconstruction contradicted

Which one is it? I thought I remembered a story where Swamp Thing's arm is somehow freed of it's vegetable-matter covering - but I flicked through my copy of "Swamp Thing: Dark Genesis", and it's not there. Do you mean the first Arcane story, with the soul jar?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

Reading up on the thread - I believe the Peanuts strips that are being reprinted were chosen by the creator specifically to be the ones repeated. Prepared to be wrong.

And doesn't a work for hire arrangement, like most major superheroes were created under, mean that the creator doesn't have any say on what happens next? To an extent it doesn't matter if the creator disagrees or not when it's not creator owned.

And I've just watched a belting episode of Doctor Who that was funny, exciting, sweet, moving, romantic and a million miles away from the core concept the creators shaped in the 1960's. If that series, when relaunched last year, didn't take the good bits and abandon the bad whilst reashaping the series for the audience of now it would never have worked. A drama thats purpose is to be educative on science and history within a serial format? Never work. There's a legendary annecdote of the first producer of Who being summoned to a bigger boss' office and being bawled out beacuse she had varied from the core concept. When she was proved right and it was a hit she was summoned back and got an apology and a promise never to be told how to do her job again. If those invovled over the last 43 years had stuck rigidly to the core concept would I be typing this now. Doubtul.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 10  

The SWAMP THING Moore stuff up until issue 50 is some of the most poignant writing I've come across (well, it was hard to end that American Gothic storyline satisfactorily, so ish 50 feels a little hollow). I don't think a lot of people at the time were getting their panties in a bunch because Moore took a character marginally known from a tongue-in-cheek (but very fine b-movie) film, and made some damn great work out of it. I came in at the beginning of the AG storyline and discovered a writer and a couple of artists worth their weight. I will never shirk on this score, as SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING was of a time and a place of excellence rarely seen. I had merely dabbled in DC comics up until that point, but Perez on CRISIS and SAGA hooked the Marvelite. It's easy to crap on DARK KNIGHT and CRISIS and Moore's WATCHMEN and so on, but it doesn't diminish how I felt when I first read them. And it didn't make me dismiss all the great comics from all the great creators I knew about. In fact, without Moore and CRISIS, I'd have split on comics even earlier than I did. Did I dig his cold, vicious protrayal of Superman/Batman/ect; I didn't, but then it didn't bother me in the context of SWAMP THING. This is another one of those time and place things: Moore was necessary for ME at that time to continue interest in comics. At THAT time, I was tired of the formula, tired of ten Spider-Man titles, tired of mediocre art (Ron Wilson anyone? And hell, I'm nostaligic for Wilson in today's comics, where the art looks like Technicolor spooge on slick magazine paper)and already tired of post-DARK KNIGHT uber violence wankery (Punisher ect). So to find the Moore Swamp Thing was a revelation, there wasn't anything else like it, and it spoke to my own writerly desires. I don't know about the other people who argue that Alan Moore's a god of some sort, but it was necessary I think at that time on a personal level to find out comics could spike in fascinating ways.

Would the comics world be a better place had Moore never touched it? Hell no. And hell yes. Who knows? Alan Moore's not to blame for the state of comics today. Blame your mediocre overall culture and the creators who pander to it.

Edited by Chad Carter on 17 June 2006 at 3:36pm

David Brunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 11  

Interesting points, much to agree with in your post. Personally I think more good as been done by Moores influence on comics than bad but that remains just my opinion.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2006 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

Would the comics world be a better place had Moore never touched it? Hell no. And hell yes. Who knows? Alan Moore's not to blame for the state of comics today. Blame your mediocre overall culture and the creators who pander to it.

And Moore would obviously be one of those "creators" who deserves some of the blame...not all of it but he ceratinly has his share to choke down and has even said as much.

Edited by Emery Calame on 17 June 2006 at 4:18pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 32 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version