Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 32 Next >>
Topic: Miracleman/Marvel Man (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 1  

An interesting history of John W's quote:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5952/unquote.html
Back to Top profile | search

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 2  

Of course there are spongers, and the system gets it wrong. I read recently about the problems of the NHS - with so much more money under Labour, how is it still failing to deliver? - and part of the problem is that expectations have increased. Where once you got hospital food, now you require a menu, TV and a 'phone, and you'll still sue if the nurses are too tired to smile. Plus of course technical progress means there are expensive treatments now available which didn't exist twenty years ago - but have to be paid for.

The principle of the welfare state is that the unfortunate should be helped to survive until they can get back on their feet. Clearly when it supports idle and comfortable lifestyles more attractive than work, it's getting it wrong; but that doesn't mean the whole system should be abandoned. JB's implication that the luckless should be left to starve is intolerable in a humane society.

IMP.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 3  

You Brits should be thankful that Thatcher got you off your arses to work harder to make the rich richer ! 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Webb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 4  

Ian and Joe strange how to opposing views could be both so wrong headed. For every good idea Thatcher had she also had a bad one. Destroying the mining industry may have seemed like a good idea at the time but in the long run it would have been cheaper to have kept many of them running when you take into account the long term social and financial damage it did to far to many towns and cities in the UK. and as for the NHS the money is being wasted in the billions on pen pushers not treatments. In fact that is Blairs legacy for the nation half the country works for the state as a pen pusher and paper shufler. Hardly anyone actually does any real work anymore. As for TV's and phones in hospitals they are pay per view and make a profit for the outside firms who supply them to hospitals. They are not costing you or me anything. Ian I do agree with the idea of a safety net but I see no reason for it to be a feather bed for the feckless and lazy. As JB said if you give people the opportunity to do little or nothing far to many will take it.

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 5  

Ian I do agree with the idea of a safety net but I see no reason for it to be a feather bed for the feckless and lazy.

I believe that's what I said. And I think Joe was joking, and I agree with him if he was. Thatcher believed we all needed a kick up the arse, and she certainly gave us a kicking. Even more than twenty years later, I still can hardly believe that "trickle-down economics" (Make the rich richer, and everything will work out okay) was actually a policy.

IMP.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 6  

In the immortal words of Triumph the Comic Dog, I keed, I keed ! ! 

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 7  

im a nurse in the NHS, and have been for the last 20 years.

the NHS is in a terrible state, the money ploughed into the NHS went to PFI iniitatives,ridiculous GP and Consultant wage rises, their pay rises were more than my annual salary.

there are now 2.5 managers and admin staff to every 1 nurse in service.

i dread the day when i have to make use of the NHS for myself.

i could go on and on, but its too depressing.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 8  

'Personally, I think Moore is very over rated and that many fans,creators,and critics give him a pass (and often praise him) for doing crappy work simply becuse he is Alan Moore. I still say that Barbra (sp) Gordon would still be walking and being Batgirl if she was not crippled in the KILLING JOKE. I believe (and I could be wrong) that there are a number of editors and creators out there who are afraid to retcon/reverse anything that Moore has done to a DC or Marvel character in the past. The worship and butt kissing of Moore has gotten so bad and rediculous that a few years ago Marvel editor Axel Alonso called Moore up to ask him for his permission to use Captain Britain and the charactrs Moore co-created durring his run on that series with Alan Davis, for a proposed Captain Britain comic. Excuse me, Moore did not create Captain Britain, and the last time I checked he does'nt own any of the characters he co-created for Marvel. I have to wonder if Alonso would have taken the time to call creators living here in America to ask them for their permission to use characters that they created. "

I'm not sure I get this. You're saying that Barbara Gordon's crippling is still in effect because Moore's work altered the character forever. I don't think there's ever been in a case in any medium using characters owned by major companies like DC, whether TV, movies or novels, that the company will not change. Kojak turns black. Nick Fury turns black. Starbuck turns female. Lois Lane goes from her mid-30s to her early 20s in a sequel. X-Men stop wearing costumes. Are you seriously suggesting the comics world thinks so much of Moore that they would not have Barbara Gordon healed by magic or whatever and simply remove the fact of it? I think Gordon's crippling might be seen as a watershed moment, like the Question getting shot in the head and becoming a kung fu man. The company must have felt more could be done with Gordon as she is. Maybe too there's the whole idea that the Huntress took the role Gordon once inhabited, and with Black Canary already running around, that's a lot of femme fatales in tights who basically do the "Batman". The cripple angle must be good for the kind of story-telling the company wanted done, that's all. Either it's shockingly simple to give Gordon her legs back or DC prefers writers work the angle. But I seriously doubt it's because Moore is such a God that no one will alter his work.

And the whole Captain Britain thing seems a bit overstated. Maybe that editor was one of those PC touchy feely types who wanted to get on Moore's side. I doubt Moore was approached for permission to use Captain Britain specifically, when it's pointed out that the secondary characters Moore created is actually the real reason. As CB had reached some popularity at the time, and a bunch of continuity was put in place, the work that Moore had done was something this editor wanted to kickstart with other creators. Going to Moore to use his "version" of the character and the universe he put together for that character makes sense to me. That's not ass-kissing, that's making sure a name brand guy (at the time) like Moore doesn't rant and rail and create bad press. Of course, why the editor just didn't do what he wanted and simply disregard Moore's contributions doesn't make sense either, considering it isn't necessary for "continuity" with a character like CB who had a blip of popularity for a time, in America at least.

Anyway, I fail to see what Moore has done to directly draw the kind of ire he has. No, he's not Steve Englehart or John Byrne or Roger Stern, producing no-frills good comics anyone could read. That's not in his language to do that, and a shame to boot. You can rightly blame him for the dark turn comics have taken, but Frank Miller needs to catch some flak for that as well. I mean, Miller's Batman (and I love DKR) has alienated the fan base of the character for anyone who read him before 1988 or so. Moore may have created an atmosphere, but Miller evolved the one-celled organisms in the muck. Punisher, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Wolverine, all great characters and all with direct lineage to Miller's style choice which forever changed how "violent" characters were shown, leading to the Dark Age as it should be called, the 90s. The 90s stemmed a horde from Miller more than Moore, who was much too romantic and flightly for the fanboy pop, I believe.

Personally, I prefer a real division in my comics. Give me the hardcore stuff in its own creepy hardcore world, like Conan and TOMB OF DRACULA used to be in the 70s. Then give me the adventure stuff and superheroics of FF and JLA and Avengers that any kid could pick up, and which reminds me of when I was young and the whole world was in front of me. Everyone has forgotten how to just relegate stuff where it is supposed to be and let the division be firm. SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING had the great "Suggested for Mature Readers" label. There you go, plain as day, what you're getting. Nowadays you never know what's going to happen, beheadings by Wonder Woman, surgical nuturing by Reed Richards, Thor with VD, there's no end to it.

Edited by Chad Carter on 11 June 2006 at 2:59pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

Regarding the tv/phones in hospital.Yes they are pay per view £3.50 per day for the tv,around 30p per minute for the phone,if a worried relative actually rings you the rate is much higher.Add to that the extortionate price to park at the hospital and you see that money is being made hand over fist,it just isn`t reaching the areas it should.I speak from experience,my sister being a nurse and my cousin a ward sister,my wife`s cousin an E.R. nurse and my mom and two aunts were all cleaners at the local hospital.The cleaning was tendered out to private companies by the Tories in the 80`s,the cleaners got paid less to do the same job,many left and as the saying goes pay peanuts, get monkeys so now we have MRSA rife in the hospitals.The food is awful,you get a nice pamphlet with great looking food,menu supposedly by Lloyd Grossman(TV food guy) but the acual stuff you get bears no relation to the pics.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

Ian,yes there will always be spongers,and i agree that we shouldn`t let the unfortunate starve,but it is increasingly seen as a lifestyle choice to live off the state ie you and me the worker.If they were made to work to earn their benefits or forfeit them it would be a start. The work could be local community stuff like litter collection or gardening for the elderly etc.

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

Chad, your post is articulate and plausible.

I got a bit sidetracked by the Britain stuff, but Miracleman, Swamp Thing, Captain Britain, Watchmen, DKR, Ronin, Born Again, Year One are all great comics. They just are. That a load of inferior writers and editors tried to copy them and do nothing else for a long time can hardly be blamed on those creators.

IMP.

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

Ian,yes there will always be spongers,and i agree that we shouldn`t let the unfortunate starve,but it is increasingly seen as a lifestyle choice to live off the state ie you and me the worker.If they were made to work to earn their benefits or forfeit them it would be a start. The work could be local community stuff like litter collection or gardening for the elderly etc.

I can't see an ethical problem with that. Practically, the spongers will develop difficult-to-diagnose back problems...

It would be helpful to see a cultural attitude change, too, through those influencing authorities, TV and the popular Press, away from resenting taxation and believing that anything stolen back is a moral victory. From each according to his means... I'm not talking about manipulation or a controlled Press, I'm talking about responsible journalism. Because what we have now is irresponsible journalism.

IMP.

<< Prev Page of 32 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version