Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Was Crisis On Infinite Earths neccessary? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 1  

Hey JB,

Would you have preferred to just avoid the entire rebooting of Superman and just ignored the stuff you didn't like about the character's history or did you think that redefining his powers and history was necessary?

Also, if given the choice, would you have preferred to reboot Batman instead?

Edited by James Hanson on 11 June 2006 at 11:45am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 2  

When DC asked me to turn in a proposal for Superman I presented them with a storyline which, over what I estimated to be between 6 and 8 issues, would "tidy up" the mythos and place the character where I felt he should be. It was the Powers That Were at DC who decided to reboot -- which, admittedly, made my job easier.

Batman, at the time, was nowhere near as screwed up as he is today. Remember, Frank was only just starting on DARK KNIGHT. (The project was so new that you can clearly see the impact of WATCHMEN about halfway thru, which is when Frank, like me, would have seen the xerox copies floating around the DC Offices.) The ripples of Frank's (logical in context) "dark" vision of Batman had not yet begun to flow out into the DCU. Then, as now, however, I would have resisted a Batman assignment, at least where I was called upon to write the character on a monthly basis. That's just not the way my head works.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 3  

Just a quick question, JB.  Is "The Many Deaths of Batman" storyline the longest you've worked on a regular Batman title?

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

Before Crisis I was reading Swamp Thing, the odd individual issue of Action, and Green Lantern (Engelhart/Staton). Crisis started me on the back catalogue, including All-Star Squadron, and JB took me to Superman, Frank Miller to Batman. Each of these ceased to be interesting soon after these creators left, and I started to follow creators rather than characters. So I don't know when I might have discovered things like ASS without Crisis, but the rest of it would have happened anyway (if JB had gone to Superman without Crisis, and so on).

IMP.

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wow, interesting stuff JB. I think you definitely should have done up a retelling of Superman's origin as it seems that he's needed a new retelling every ten or so years. I think I would probably have liked you to just tidy things up, as it may have stopped the current rebooting fad from happening.

It's odd to me that you resist doing a Batman series. He's your favorite, wouldn't you like to have a run before retiring?

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 6  

I was confused to the way Batman was acting towards Superman in MOS #3.  When reading it I thought Batman finally lost his mind.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 7  

What JB said about his Superman revamp is very interesting.

I remember reading a while back that Cary Bates had a proposal to revamp Superman in the wake of Crisis and still tie it in to existing continuity without doing a fullscale reboot.

Jim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 8  

Didn't JB mention something about one writer's proposal starting off with Superman dead? (From the intro to Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told, perhaps?)

Edited by Jim O'Neill on 12 June 2006 at 9:09am

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version