Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Was Crisis On Infinite Earths neccessary? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

Charles Nago wrote:
Question:  why all the blame on the "fanboys"?  If "fanboys" are the vocal part of the market, shouldn't the companies listen?  Particularily if the market has shrunk so that fanboys are all that remains of the market.

The trouble is that most of the time, pandering to the fanboys tends to make comics inaccessible and unappealing to the average reader (if such a thing even exists anymore).  If the goal of publishers was merely to hang onto the existing readership, then maybe pandering to the vocal fanboys would make sense.  But any sensible publisher must realize that in order to survive they are going to have to attract new readers. 

An analogy:  Let's say I really like raw eggs on my pizza.  I spearhead a letter-writing campaign amongst my friends to convince Dominos to put raw eggs atop all their pizzas from now on.  They agree to start doing this, and sales plummet.  Soon only me and a few of my friends are buying their pizzas anymore.  Now, should they continue putting raw eggs on their pizzas to keep their remaining market share happy, or should they stop doing it even though it will anger their existing buyers?

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 08 June 2006 at 8:26pm
Back to Top profile | search

Simon Matthew Park
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

At the time, I actually found DC's Crisis more confusing than the concept of there being an Earth-2. I enjoyed reading it (I was fifteen), but it only becomes 'necessary' (or not) when people ask if it should. I really think you can just ignore the elements that don't work, and move forward, and it's no big deal. If a story is entertaining, and the art is great to look at, that's all that matters. There are so many unrealistic elements in the average Superhero story, that obsessively focusing on continuity for the sake of some imagined 'realism' seems ridiculous - just enjoy the thing for what it is, and don't worry about all this BS. It's meant to be fun, after all.

Lee Gracie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 10:22pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think! it should of been longer like 12 books with the 48 pages.There are a lot of Superheros and Villains that needed to be fix up or killed off. Some heros and Villains had been killed off. I though there should not have been killed off. But some Heros and Villains that were fix up was good. But I have to say I dont think the Crisis has end. I think there is a lot more to come after 52 and One year later are finsh. I know there is still more to come. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

"I think that you may have struck on a future storyline for the Superman titles. "

Without a doubt they will do so. I'm not sure anyone can make such a "mystery" interesting for me, at least.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

I just noticed something in JB's post:

QUOTE:
Witness the consternation when MAN OF STEEL was published, and, as some said, this meant Superman was no longer the first superhero -- that the word was not coined to describe him. The fact that the word exists in our reality, sans superheroes, and predates the original publication of ACTION COMICS 1 doesn't seem to enter into their thinking.

When does the word "superhero" originate, then? Who did it describe? I always thought the word post-dated Superman's debut.

Jonathan Graver
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 6  

Crisis seemed very exciting at the time -- like the ultimate expression of the annual JLA/JSA "Crisis On [fill in the blank]" team-ups.  The ramifications and repercussions of Crisis, though, weren't worth it, even at the time. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

Couldn't have said it better.  With the introduction of concepts like Hypertime, the re-introduction of the Crime Syndicate and the decades-long dilemma of how to explain Power Girl's origin, it seems that Crisis didn't really simplify anything.  

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 4:37am | IP Logged | 7  

No it wasn't. JBs just don't mention it would have been the best way. But even then some fans were continuity obsessed. All changes needed an "in story" explanation for them. This persists even to day and probably to a greated extent,(As the fan base shrinks all that seems to be left are the continuity obsessed) The days of the stealth reboot are gone. Superman cant suddenly have a career as Superboy without a contrived reality altering event that spans several issues and still has fans pestering Editors about issue 123, page 6, panel 2 and if it happened or not. And if not when will they get to see the new version of what happened.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
When does the word "superhero" originate, then? Who did it describe? I always thought the word post-dated Superman's debut.

The term "the superman" certainly predated the comic book character as it was the typical English rendering at the time of the philosopher Nietzsche's concept of the Ubermensch. Siegel and Shuster borrowed the term in 1933 for their initial villainous character, called "The Superman," and later that year when they made a new heroic character they kept the name. They were also influenced by the pulp character of Doc Savage (known as "the man of bronze"), to whom some have conjectured the term "superhero" first applied; others have suggested it first related to the Shadow -- and more candidates have been discussed.

The origin of "superhero" thus isn't absolutely clear, but the evidence from a variety of sources in and around the time of Siegel and Shuster's first conception of Superman, which predates the comic book by five years, demonstrates that Mr. Byrne was correct.

DC and Marvel actually own the trademark to the term "superhero." Recently a small company wanted to use "superhero" on the cover of a comic and DC/Marvel prevented them.

NPR covered this story with some background on the term "superhero" and you can hear it through this link:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5304264

Also you can read the following:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=6992

This link shows the actual trademark as recorded by the US Patent & Trademark Office:

http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=tm&qt=rno& amp;reel=&frame=&sno=&rno=1179067&asnr=& asnri=&asne=&asnei=&asns=&apct=&apcti=&a mp;rgst=&rgsti=

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 9  

I often wonder how much thought was given to the ramifications that COIE would have on certain titles.

Surely it must have struck at some point with the events of the Crisis that there were going to be titles that may be redundant as per its events, or would need a major overhaul bigger than even Crisis to keep them going.

I've already harped on about things like All-Star Squadron, Infinity, Inc., LOSH and Young All-Stars, but look even at the Batman titles that seemed untouched by the Crisis at first. They changed Jason Todd's origin, and that threw a lot of confusion in to which stories or villains happened, as there was no cut off point or end with Batman as there had been with Wonder Woman and Superman.

Hawkman took nearly 15 years to get everything straightened out.

I think it was one of those things it seemed like a good idea at the time as it would boost several flagging characters and series, but there was no after thought to the series implications.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

Whether DC needed to do the Crisis specifically or
not, they were in need of *something* to boost sales
in the mid-1980s. Teen Titans may have been their
only title that was selling numbers comparable to the
top Marvel titles, and DC needed to do something
big to bring in new readers if they ever hoped to
knock Marvel out of the #1 spot.

Maybe re-starting everything at issue #1 would've
done the trick, but Crisis was a big jumping-on point
for readers, it sold really well, gave readers an
introduction to just about every character in the DC
Universe, and allowed DC to build up steam over the
course of a year and relaunch/revamp their line
without totally overwhelming both old and new
readers.

I don't think the problem was so much with the
original series as it was with the major crossovers
that change "everything you thought you knew" that
came from Marvel, DC and everyone else every
single year. Even Image was doing Crisis-like
events to redefine everything within a few years of
starting out, and I'd bet that there were companies
after that which even launched with their own
Crisis-like events...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

If DC's creators and editorial staff had all played by the rules and used Crisis as a way to showcase the DCU's history, it might have worked. As it turned out, it caused vastly more problems than it addressed. It should never have needed two follow-up events (Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis).

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 12  

I like Crisis as a story, it was just so much fun to see all of the heroes fighting this evil, powerful villian at the begining of time. Things like that and all of the villians taking over one earth and getting into a massive battle royal with all the heroes, is the type of thing I started reading super hero comics for.

Though as something to fix continuity and all of that jazz, it was a massive failure.

The funny thing is I can enjoy Crisis by looking at it as a single story by itself without thinking of continuity. I say its funny, because if everybody had that attitude Crisis would never of happened.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version