Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 7
Topic: New Commission -- Now With Finished Image Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Is it not depressing to realize how a firm mindset in many "fans" today is that they will not buy a series unless they are there for the first issue? The idea of picking up #246 of something is utterly alien to them.

Much of this is born of the "jumping on point" being magnified (by fan idiocy and bad writers) to the point that the notion of any issue being a good place to start is not even considered.

When I look back on my own "career" as a fan, I am struck by the likelihood that I would never have developed an interest in comics if I had shared this line of "thought". I would have had no chance at all with the likes of Superman and Batman, and altho I picked up the first appearance of Green Lantern in SHOWCASE, I missed the Flash's debut completely. Would I have picked up the first JUSTICE LEAGUE book, given that I was not reading most of the member's titles, having missed their debuts? Over at Marvel, FANTASTIC FOUR would not have been on my list, since the first one I saw was #2. I bought the first issue of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, but with the current mindset, would I have done so, having missed AMAZING FANTASY 15? I saw, but was not allowed to buy INCREDIBLE HULK 1. Having missed this, would I have kept working on my parents, until they finally relented an let me start buying the series with 5? (Great timing, huh?) X-MEN I was there for the first issue, as I was for AVENGERS --- but I had missed the debut appearances of all the members save the Hulk, (And what counts as the first appearance of Ant-Man, anyway?) so would I have picked up AVENGERS 1?

sigh Just one more reason the industry is in trouble --- a reason encouraged by the current Powers, with there idiotic "Here's A Good Place To Start" stunts, which serve only to underline the fact that the regular issues are not such a place.

Back to Top profile | search

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 1:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That's another thing about your work that makes it great - you still write your stories so that every issue is the first issue for somebody.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

it looks like there are 2 stages of under drawing , perhaps you use 2 different leads for this piece.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

it looks like there are 2 stages of under drawing , perhaps you use 2 different leads for this piece.

One lead, different pressures.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2006 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

By the way, would you say that this is the level of breakdowns you did on your ASM and Wolverine runs? Is this too loose to even be considered breakdowns?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version