Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: OT, handwritten letter by Steve Ditko (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2006 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've nothing intelligent to add except Ditko drew this issue:

Back to Top profile | search

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2006 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
That doesn't mean that the departure was unexpected to Ditko, or that, as a
professional who cared about his work, he didn't feel an obligation to leave
things in order.

I got the feeling that his final Doctor Strange was a proper ending too.

On the other hand though, I'm not really sure what to make of his final Spider-Man story at all. It ended with him angrily punching a grinning mannequin, arriving home to Aunt May and missing Mary Jane by mere seconds, turning on the TV to find a successful Joe Smith on the news then frustratedly switching it off and walking upstairs.

There was no resolution to the subplots Ditko had built for Betty Brant, Norman Osborn and Gwen Stacy. I get the feeling that Steve still had a lot more to say with Spider-Man.

Also curious is how the issue had a page and a half full of sound effects, considering Stan Lee has said in interviews that Ditko hated it when his art was obscured with them.

Chuck Dixon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2006 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think Ditko worked farther ahead on Dr Strange than he did on Spider-man and that, perhaps, he was planning a conclusion to his epic in any case. Stan, by his own admission, had very little to do with the Strange feature and Ditko probably used this freedom to draw ahead. Ditko also kept things "close to the vest" when dealing with Marvel staff.

I think his departure from Spidey was far more abrupt and I maintain that Romita Sr's first issue shows signs of being partially drawn over Ditko layouts or roughs. The first six pages are SO Ditko. It's very apparent in the Romita Sr Visionaries where the printing is much clearer than other editions. NOTHING against, Johnny Sr. I'm sure he was under orders to ape Ditko as much as he could. But those first six pages are not his alone.

Again, it would be betraying a trust to say more, but Ditko kept his career plans very much to himself.

Alos, Ditko did indeed hate sound effects. In our one and only too-brief conversation he told me how he loathed unnecessary SFX and hated the "pop art" pages that Stan was working into his later Spider-man issues.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Harris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2006 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

I really can't think of any comic book I would rather see then a Lee & Ditko collabaration on Spider-man. It would be even better if it was part of "The End" series of books ( like Peter Davids "Hulk the End").

Of course the "lost" Ditko Dr Strange issues are a very close second!

Pierce Askegren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2006 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 5  

Yeah, I think Ditko knew he was going for a while before he actually did -- he was ramping up his work for other companies in the preceeding months.  By all accounts, he'd been frustrated for a while, and probably not just on an artistic level.  Evanier has posted that there was a business disagreement with Goodman involving non-comics art use, as well.  Roy Thomas and Steve Skeates both say that Stan having Carl Hubell redraw (re-costume, really) a figure in the Looter story was the precipitating incidend.

I'm second to few in my admiration for Mr. Ditko, but I figure those last months must have been a real pain for Stan and show great forebearance on his part.  Ditko wouldnt' speak to him and didn't inlcude margin notes, and (in the Looter story) wouldn't do even minor revisions.  That must have made writing the book "Marvel style" a real nightmare.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2006 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 6  

Anecdotally, it sounds like Dikto was a pain to work with, but it also sounds like he wasn't treated equitably.  I have to say, I've read about 10 or so horror issues Ditko did for Charlton after Spider-Man and Strange Tales.  While they're competent, they rarely approached anything like the level of quality he achieved at Marvel.  The scripts were often subpar.  Just like the strained relationship Stan had with Jack in the later years, whatever their problems, it never translated to the page.  The Master Planner Trilogy, which comes right near the end of his run, is still one of the greatest Spider-man stories of all time, with what remains the most stirring sequence in Spider-man history, when Spider-man summons the strength and courage to lift the unliftable.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2006 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 7  

Pierce Askegren wrote:
I'm second to few in my admiration for Mr. Ditko, but I figure those last months must have been a real pain for Stan and show great forebearance on his part.

I'm guessing it was mostly pragmatism on Stan's part.  Considering Ditko was doing plotting and art entirely by himself at the end, I imagine Stan was concerned about whether Spider-Man could even survive without Ditko, and he wanted to do everything possible to not have to find out (I'm sure he never imagined the book would actually sell better after Ditko left).  Regarding the difficulty doing Marvel Style:  I wonder if Ditko was interested in writing the dialogue too, but was not allowed to by Stan?  Or I wonder if he was interested but never broached the topic? 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version