Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: OT, handwritten letter by Steve Ditko (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
The Fountainhead is a long book, though...700ish?

Yep.  Apparently, brevity is not highly valued in the objectivist philosophy.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

Even if you disagree with the philosophy the books present, Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are well-crafted, entertaining books.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

Surely Ditko must get sent royalty checks for his books that get reprinted? I wonder if he cashes them?

Pierce Askegren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 4  

Ditko gets royalty checks and comp copies when his stuff is reprinted, but the dollars inolved are pretty small.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn he doesn't cash the checks.  These days, he seems to focus far more on credit than on money -- and he's always concerned himself with the work even more.

JC:  "Whatever motivates Mr. Ditko, it clearly is not money.  According to this he has piles of pages of his original art laying around his home that he uses for cutting boards."

A friend of mine confirms this.  Also, Ditko has two (or three) complete Dr. Strange stories (pencils and plots) that he took with him when he left.  Marvel has approached him more than once about publishing them, but he's not interested.

None of this troubles or frustrates me much.  Sure, I'd like to see good reprints or have a chance to (try to) buy the old stuff, and I'd sure like to see a "new" Siver Age Dr. Strange story, but I figure it's Ditko's life and he's free to do with it what he will.

When I was writing for the licensed Marvel short story prose anthologies, Ditko was approached twice to illustrate stores.  One, a super-villain piece, he rejected on moral grounds.  The other, a Hulk story, he declined, saying that he had no interest in one-off illustrations.  (Neither story was one of mine.)  My take on it was, if Steve Ditko was a place in his life when he could afford to turn down work, more power to him.

Edited by Pierce Askegren on 21 May 2006 at 8:41pm

Chuck Dixon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

I have it on very good authority that the oft-repeated stories of Ditko using his originals as cutting boards are entirely false.

I would be betraying a confidence to say more, but there are many, many classic pages of Ditko kept in sakekeeping. And a lot of unpublished work from his prime period as well. The man understands the value of his own work and wouldn't destroy it.

Now, there's that OTHER iconoclastic artist who routinely destroys his own originals...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 6  

I feel the need to mention that DC has a Ditko New Gods backup, originally intended for Walt Simonson's Orion that has yet to see the light of day. From what Walt Simonson has said elsewhere, the story is done and just waiting to be published. Mark Millar was the writer if I remember correctly.

Unpublished Ditko art makes small kittens cry.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

Now, there's that OTHER iconoclastic artist who routinely destroys his own originals...

???

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

Chuck, I'm glad to hear the story I posted the link to is false.  For someone who appears to be motivated by pride in his work rather than by compensation or credit, it seems hard to imagine him displaying such contempt for his own art.  The behavior described in that anecdote seems almost willfully bizarre.    

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

I've heard Michael Golden does that. That's a crying shame.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2006 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

Pierce Askegren wrote:
Also, Ditko has two (or three) complete Dr. Strange stories (pencils and plots) that he took with him when he left.

Fascinating.  Speaking of rare "Doctor Strange" stories, have all the Ditko fans here read "Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves" #12, published by Charlton in 1969?  It features what is basically a Doctor Strange story with Doctor Graves (who was otherwise just a narrator in his own book) in the role of protagonist.  Not a bad story, very cool Ditko art.  I learned about it on Hembeck's blog (scroll down to the August 14, 05 entry).

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 21 May 2006 at 9:41pm

Jim Yingst
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2006 at 12:15am | IP Logged | 11  

Glenn Greenberg wrote:
About 10 years ago, we were SO CLOSE to getting Ditko back to do a Spider-Man project, and there was even talk of getting Stan to script it. But then Ditko found out about UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN, which we were publishing at the time, and he was offended that a series was being done that took place during his run on the character. From what I heard, he didn't like the fact that he now had collaborators, 30-plus years after the fact. So the project died very quickly.

Wow.  That's just massively disappointing, on several levels.   Speaking from my own personal perspective: I was not a huge Spider-Man fan at the time.  I liked the character well enough, but he wasn't a huge selling point in and of himself at that point.  Untold Tales of Spider-Man was a great achievement from my perspective - again on several levels.  It got me interested in early Spider-Man history.  It motivated me to buy Essential Spider-Man volumes 1 and 2, which I had little pre-exisisting interest in at the time.  It interlaced pretty well with those stories, I thoought.  Showed a fair amount of respect for what had come before, and stmulated my interest in that era. Frankly, I think UTOSM is one of the best moves Marvel made in the last ten years.  It's unfortunate that it wasn't more successful, and it's unfortunate (IMO) that JB's "Year One" subsequently overrode much of what UTOSM contributed.  To this day, Spider-Man: Year One is my least-fovorite JB project, for this very reason.  It was good, in and of itself - but I really didn't think UTOSM deserved to be overridden, especially so soon after it was published.  An unfortunate conflict of goals between two of my favorite comics creators, John Byrne and Kurt Busiek.  Probably heavily influenced by  others within Marvel, with their own ideas of which aspect's of Peter's history should be most emphasized.  Too bad.  I still like UTOSM, and I sill like most of Mr. Byrne's other work.  Very much. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Pierce Askegren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2006 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 12  

I'm familiar with the Dr. Graves story mentioned.  It's not the only one in which the good doctor takes part in the action or acts so flamboyantly, but it's easily the longest.  It was written by Steve Skeates, who also dialoged at least one Dr. Strange story.  Plus, there's a Mr. L. Dedd (Ghostly Tales) story -- also drawn by Ditko -- in which the narrator is a protagonist.

As for the cutting-board anecdote -- well, I don't claim to speak from personal experience, Chuck, but I got it from a well-regarded comics historian (and sometimes Marvel comics writer) who has visited Ditko in his studio.

Edited by Pierce Askegren on 22 May 2006 at 2:02am

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version